Russell Crea

Does anyone know if you can get more Strat bridge/middle quack by installing a 5 way blade switch on an SE Custom 24 with 2 humbuckers? It already has coil split on a push pull pot. Thanks

Thanks, but I’m under the impression switching can effectively change the position of the “On” split coils. Example: switch both outside coils on, then switch both inside coils on- that makes them closer together like a Strat. That’s my question, can both inside split coils be on?

Instead of a blade switch, I’m thinking you should try the old PRS rotary switch. That, in conjunction with the coil tap, might get you closer

Thanks, but I’m under the impression switching can effectively change the position of the “On” split coils. Example: switch both outside coils on, then switch both inside coils on- that makes them closer together like a Strat. That’s my question, can both inside split coils be on?

Sure, you can do that in a number of different ways via a super switch or with one or more push/pull or mini toggle switches. It all depends on what selections you want to have available.

Here's a good example:
HHInOutSplit5WORKS-1024x786.gif

Thank you Garrett, this answers my question and it's the configuration option I want, looking like 2 outside = more of a Tele and 2 inside = more of a Strat sound. I think now the stock middle position split sounds like either the 2 outside coils are hot or an outside and inside, but not both inside. If anyone can confirm which are hot from the factory that would be nice, it doesn't have much Strat quack in middle position split now. I tried tapping them with a screwdriver when split but couldn't tell as both sides seemed to react. With 5 way added I imagine the push pull can then still be used to split either the bridge or neck alone.

Thank you Garrett, this answers my question and it's the configuration option I want, looking like 2 outside = more of a Tele and 2 inside = more of a Strat sound. I think now the stock middle position split sounds like either the 2 outside coils are hot or an outside and inside, but not both inside. If anyone can confirm which are hot from the factory that would be nice, it doesn't have much Strat quack in middle position split now. I tried tapping them with a screwdriver when split but couldn't tell as both sides seemed to react. With 5 way added I imagine the push pull can then still be used to split either the bridge or neck alone.

Yep, you're on to something. You can use push/pulls and the super switch.

You can run the split wires to the center lugs on a push/pull or mini switch. Then connect the bottom lug to the super switch (where the drawing above has the split wires connected). Connect the top lug to ground, or hot depending on which coil you want. So with the push/pull down, the blade controls the splits just like the above drawing. Pull the knob out and your pickups are split in all five positions. The only slightly weird thing is with the knob up, positions 2-4 are all both pickups split. But 1 and 5 give you the individual split pickups.

You can even go crazy and put each pickup on its own coil split switch, which will give you even more selections.

The factory configuration splits both pickups to the screw coil.

Yep, you're on to something. You can use push/pulls and the super switch.

You can run the split wires to the center lugs on a push/pull or mini switch. Then connect the bottom lug to the super switch (where the drawing above has the split wires connected). Connect the top lug to ground, or hot depending on which coil you want. So with the push/pull down, the blade controls the splits just like the above drawing. Pull the knob out and your pickups are split in all five positions. The only slightly weird thing is with the knob up, positions 2-4 are all both pickups split. But 1 and 5 give you the individual split pickups.

You can even go crazy and put each pickup on its own coil split switch, which will give you even more selections.

The factory configuration splits both pickups to the screw coil.

Yes, sir, it does sound Tele like now (screw coils are both on the outside), and it sounds good. I just want to find a way to add the 2 inside slug pickups ON Strat sound without losing the other options.

The quack on a Strat has do to the RWRP middle pickup. This is why vintage Strats or reissued ones with non RWRP middle pickups like the pre 5 way switch do not have quack. I much prefer these as I hate the quack tone. Thankfully my Silver Sky does not quack, one of the reasons I bought it over the CS fender I was looking at.

I flipped both pups 180. Now I have better single coil tone and mid position sounds like a Strat. No other mods needed. Thanks prs for leaving enough lead wire to reverse.

Back