Strat pickup recommendations needed.

Mike J.

I've had a Strat for years that's gone through a few pickup changes. Currently I have a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Not the best sounding combination and I'd really like this guitar to be a " real Stratocaster" again but with noiseless pickups.

Been listening to many examples on YouTube lately and just today I was really impressed with the Kinman Impersonator '54 noiseless set. The guy who did the demo said they have a bit of a softer A3 top end of which was evident. Great sounding clean and with gain. Of course, the guy is also a much better player than me so I'm sure that helped!

I want that clarity and some body (especially with the bridge pickup) without the ice pick top end.

Also want a set where the center of the pole pieces on all 3 pickups line up with the strings. This is not the case with the neck single coil that's currently in my Strat. The high E string lines up with the inside edge of the high E pole piece. That's SO wrong!

To be totally honest, been listening to the PRS SE Silver Sky and like what I hear. But I can't justify buying one when I have a perfectly good Strat with a great playing neck that just needs some decent pickups.

Any recommendations for a noiseless set of Strat pickups are welcome. Thanks.

My recommendation is the pickup set in the core Silver Sky, they are pricy, and they come with the guitar attached. ;)

Since you want to replace them anyway, here is a suggestion: I understand the pole pieces are adjustible in and out by pressing on them, unless they have screws. The height will change the volume of each string in relation to the others. Never tried it myself but I have seen it in print on occasion. Maybe you need some experimentation with a dose of Youtube How-to search included. A flat allen wrench tip just under the diameter of the pole piece ought to prevent it from chipping. I recommend snapping a few photos to support a return to the original height should you change your mind. You may have to lift the pickup out to tap the pole piece from the back side.

My recommendation is the pickup set in the core Silver Sky, they are pricy, and they come with the guitar attached. ;)

Since you want to replace them anyway, here is a suggestion: I understand the pole pieces are adjustible in and out by pressing on them, unless they have screws. The height will change the volume of each string in relation to the others. Never tried it myself but I have seen it in print on occasion. Maybe you need some experimentation with a dose of Youtube How-to search included. A flat allen wrench tip just under the diameter of the pole piece ought to prevent it from chipping. I recommend snapping a few photos to support a return to the original height should you change your mind. You may have to lift the pickup out to tap the pole piece from the back side.

Hi John. It's not the height of the pole pieces, it's where they are located (in a side to side manner) in relationship to the strings. But I have seen that height adjustment on YouTube that you are talking about.

Imagine a circle (the pole piece) with a line (the string) running directly in line with the center of the circle. Now, move the line left so it lines up with the outer edge of the circle. That's what I'm talking about.

Great description, I got it. So it is possible it is simply a neck shift, I had this happen to me. With the guitar on it’s back, eye the strings in relation to the pole pieces from the bridge looking towards the headstock. What you need to do is shift the headstock left or right to re-center the strings. This requires slightly loosening the 4 screws that attach the neck to thr body, then bump the headstock to shift it a little. Once re-aligned, tighten it up. This will also re-center the strings to the neck where it meets the body. Give it a try. :^)

I’m not a Strat purist by any means, but I’ve been very happy with Duncan STK-S4’s in my parts-caster Strat.

I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Psychedelic Strat set and the Duncan Jimi Hendrix set. I had the later in my EG3 and it was the best "strat" I ever played.

The Fishman Fluence is the best noiseless pickups I've tried, but I prefer the Suhr V60LP I have now.

The Fishman Fluence is the best noiseless pickups I've tried, but I prefer the Suhr V60LP I have now.
I was actually checking those out yesterday on YouTube and I liked what I heard from those. A definite consideration.

Question: I was at my local music store yesterday and noticed something. On Fender Strat guitars the spacing of the pole pieces is the same for all 3 pickups. By the time you get to the neck pickup, the strings do not line up with the pole pieces especially on the high E string. Do the pole pieces on Suhr pickups line up properly with the strings? You know, where the string lines up with the center of the pole pieces.

Buy a Silver Sky
I admit I've been checking out many YouTube video's of the SE version and really like the sounds some are getting. However, there are some video's showing some quality issues. Hope PRS gets it all sorted out.

I was actually checking those out yesterday on YouTube and I liked what I heard from those. A definite consideration.

Question: I was at my local music store yesterday and noticed something. On Fender Strat guitars the spacing of the pole pieces is the same for all 3 pickups. By the time you get to the neck pickup, the strings do not line up with the pole pieces especially on the high E string. Do the pole pieces on Suhr pickups line up properly with the strings? You know, where the string lines up with the center of the pole pieces.
That's interesting, I've never noticed that before. Seems the pole pieces doesn't match up as they do on the bridge on the high and low E. So they're probably the same as other strat pickups.

I'm wanting to try some Suhr pickups in my PRS too, but I don't know if they work with the rotary switch.

That's interesting, I've never noticed that before. Seems the pole pieces doesn't match up as they do on the bridge on the high and low E. So they're probably the same as other strat pickups.

I'm wanting to try some Suhr pickups in my PRS too, but I don't know if they work with the rotary switch.
Makes you wonder why they make them like that. The thing is, I looked at other guitars while at the store and noticed a few Jackson models (H/S/S pickups) and the pole pieces on all the pickups lined up with all the strings perfectly. Dead center.

If vintage tones and noiseless are your thing: have you looked into the Fralin Split Blade Pickups? I love Fralin pickups. While I have not used this set I do love the vintage hot and pure paf sets so much that I would give this a try. And he gives options for how much output you would like and to select the guitars radius when ordering.

Last edited:
There's some great suggestions here, but I do believe I'm going to change the plan. The more I think about it (and listen to) I'm going to go with something like a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and a TV Jones Classic neck, or a set of Lollar Filtertrons.
It's something I never considered until lately and the more I hear the more I like! Something like that would be more in line with what I like to hear. I'm not an impulsive buyer and am still listening to various clips before I make a final decision. Plus I'm kinda busy with some other things lately.

It’s tough to beat a regular Texas Specials set. Noiseless? In 2 & 4, yes. Sound good? Yes. Step on a great fuzz and don’t worry about noiseless.

Back