strap locks

Schaller for all mine. No issues other than screw size that I've had to make new screws to fit but that was easy.

I've tried a couple different strap lock brands & models, and I ended up using Dunlop Straplok.
They are safe and very fast to lock/release, something important when you gig at pubs packed with drunk guys.

jim-dunlop-straplok-sls1033bk-black-strap-locks-1341-p.jpg

Did the screws on the dunlops match the screw size of the factory PRS strap post screws?

I'm hoping to find one that matches or at least the hole in the strap lock bases are appropriate size so that I can find a screw that does match. Anyone have any input on the screw sizes or some different brands of strap locks?

Anyone have feedback on Loxx strap locks? Kinda like the lower profile fit vs schallers or dunlops.

I like the concept of the Loxx, but there isn't much to hang a strap on in an emergency. I've got Schallers on a couple guitars, and once forgot a strap with the locks. The buttons are decent enough to use a normal strap, unlike the Loxx or the older Dunlops, which had a smooth barrel with no lip.

Did the screws on the dunlops match the screw size of the factory PRS strap post screws?

I'm hoping to find one that matches or at least the hole in the strap lock bases are appropriate size so that I can find a screw that does match. Anyone have any input on the screw sizes or some different brands of strap locks?
I'm not sure about the Dunlops, but the Schallers use the same screw size as the U.S. Made guitars. Schallers actually come with two sizes in the package, PRS uses the larger size. I Just used the stock screw.

I'm not sure about the Dunlops, but the Schallers use the same screw size as the U.S. Made guitars. Schallers actually come with two sizes in the package, PRS uses the larger size. I Just used the stock screw.

this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Definitely going with the schallers then.

I've used Dunlops since the 80's, with zero failures. I like the new, more normal looking buttons they come with more than the older, longer ones. These are better if you're using a strap that doesn't have the buttons, for whatever reason.
I have, in the course of my guitars, some without locks at all, some with Schallers because they came that way (my PRSii and a Ric), and some with Dunlops. They all work. I mostly only put them on guitars that travel any more, and some that I just don't trust to regular straps/buttons, like my 11lb. LP Custom.
Both the Dunlop and Schaller have negatives in my experience.
The Dunlops can be difficult to mount on thicker straps, and if you're not careful to make sure the little ball clicks into the groove, things can get exciting.
Scholars are tougher to mess up connecting to the guitar, but I've had the little nut on the strap end unscrew once or twice, which is no fun, either.

All 3 of my guitars (les Paul, and 2 SEs) I had to modify the stock screws for a schallers. The Schaller screws were thinner, one being longer, and Had different thread counts. I didn't feel like they would hold secure enough. The heads of stock screws in the guitars were too big to fit all the way in the button. So my solution involved taking a file and a drill to spin the screw so I filed down the head small enough to fit all the way in the button. 10 minute fix. Never a problem.

I have Marvel Lock Straps which are great. The screw is the same length, width and thread as the the PRS stock button, and if I wanted to I could, if I wanted to, go back to the PRS buttons with no problem. I have looked at many reviews and would suggest you go with Marvels.

I find that a relatively thick leather strap and the stock buttons, the guitar is not going anywhere. I can't even deliberately get a PRS to fall off a decent strap.

Agreed. With PRS strap buttons there is no need for aftermarket strap locks.

I actually stopped using strap lock many years ago - the only time I ever came close to disaster was when a Dunlop strap lock failed and I was just quick enough to keep my LP from bouncing its headstock off the stage floor. I vowed to never use strap locks again and have not, and never come close to another tumble either.

I have Marvel Lock Straps which are great. The screw is the same length, width and thread as the the PRS stock button, and if I wanted to I could, if I wanted to, go back to the PRS buttons with no problem. I have looked at many reviews and would suggest you go with Marvels.

Why not go with the DC Lock Straps?

facepalm.jpg

Success

Just put a set of Schallers on my new SE Angelus.
The upper bout screw I could reuse as the head was small, and it countersunk into the Schaller part.
There was also a black felt pad on the stock end pin which I reused.

Now down by the input jack there was no felt pad under the stock end pin, they forgot to install it?
No reason why there should not be one.
However...the stock screws head was bigger than the upper bouts one, so the screw head sat on top just a tad which caused the Schaller part mounted to the strap to not work.
I knew the drill, I would have to use one of the Schaller black screws.
They provide you with two, one long and fat, the other shorter and thin just like the stock SE screw.
I had extra felt pads (and Schaller now provides them where a year or more ago they did not) so I slipped one on the screw and Schaller end pin and screwed in the screw.
The threads are pretty much identical to the stock SE screw so all went well.

I also highly recommend one of these Stew Mac kits, I have used it before on the end pins and also the truss rod covers.
I have posted this kit before in other threads.
Very compact, and all your tools are in one nice little case that can fit into your hard case or gig bag.
Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set

Guitar_Tech_Screwdriver_Set.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have almost destroyed a $75 strap trying to get it to fit over and under the stock buttons... Ordered 3 sets of schaller locks and 3 extra sets of pins this morning... Every guitar and strap in the house is getting the treatment!

Back