strap locks

DHW

I've been using the plastic Dunlop disks but with the incoming fitted case I'll need to take the strap off regularly vs a gig bag. Schaller... Loxx... Something else?

I use the dimarzio clip lock straps on all my guitars. An epiphone sg and les paul custom and a Gibson explorer. They are solid and reliable. The strap clips off nicely since you're going to be taking on and off regularly.

The scalller ones were not reliable at all. I have not bought any for years but there use to be a lip on the inside of the button. This lip would where out and defeat the purpose of what it's supposed to do. (I had two guitars fall to the ground) I started using the Dunlop ones after that.

Last edited:
I find that a relatively thick leather strap and the stock buttons, the guitar is not going anywhere. I can't even deliberately get a PRS to fall off a decent strap.

Needless to say, I case my guitars after use and remove the straps, since they're all nitro, and nitro reacts with leather in a not-good way.

I run Dimarzio Cliplock's on all of my guitars. I've tried all the others and like them the best

I've tried a couple different strap lock brands & models, and I ended up using Dunlop Straplok.
They are safe and very fast to lock/release, something important when you gig at pubs packed with drunk guys.

jim-dunlop-straplok-sls1033bk-black-strap-locks-1341-p.jpg

Do you have to drill out the stock PRS holes to accommodate the Dunlops?

Can you switch back to the standard PRS strap buttons once you've installed the Dunlops?

I'm thinking about getting a set of Dunlops for my 2011 McCarty but I'm kinda skittish about an irreversible mod. I don't gig with my guitar, but do want to be able to take the strap off when I case it.

Thoughts?

Steve

I did notice one thing with the Kingfisher bass I picked up, the screws would not separate from the stock end pins, so I had to use the Schaller screws which were a tad thinner than the Kingfisher screws, but a toothpick in both holes cured that.
I already have a set here waiting to go into my SE Angelus Standard when I pick it up soon.

I have also gotten away from leather straps, as I hate how hard it is to adjust them by having to weave that thinner part through the holes.
Most of my straps I have now have the buckle on them, and two of my favorite straps adjust via Velcro, very slick.
But yes, all straps have the Schaller part on them to mate with the Schaller end pins.

I did notice one thing with the Kingfisher bass I picked up, the screws would not separate from the stock end pins, so I had to use the Schaller screws which were a tad thinner than the Kingfisher screws, but a toothpick in both holes cured that.
I already have a set here waiting to go into my SE Angelus Standard when I pick it up soon.

I have also gotten away from leather straps, as I hate how hard it is to adjust them by having to weave that thinner part through the holes.
Most of my straps I have now have the buckle on them, and two of my favorite straps adjust via Velcro, very slick.
But yes, all straps have the Schaller part on them to mate with the Schaller end pins.

I need to go to leather or maybe cotton. Nylon straps pull the stubble out of my neck when I'm lazy and don't shave which is very unpleasant.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ergo-lok-strap
I used these for years on all LP, Firebird and RD - all guitars, especially that RD, much weightier then any of my PRS with one of those cheap 10.00 Ernie Ball straps. I always took them off the guitars before putting back in case after every practice and show and they never once failed me over five years.
I agree with les as well though, the PRS buttons are killers and if you put a good strap on it that thing is not coming off. I've had the same strap on both my CU24 and McCarty HB since 2010 with never once an issue.

I've been finding that the plastic ones are popping apart when I take them on and off. If I just leave it on they are good.

I'd use the stock buttons but besides taking it off to go in the case I'd like each of us to have our strap and able to use it on any of the guitars without a struggle to fight them on and off. Seems locks are the best bet for that.

do the schallers require toothpicks?

I have several types. I like the Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks (have them on my PRSs).
I also like the Gotoh Straplocks that came on my Ibanez Prestige, same logic as the dunlop ones. You can use a normal strap with both of these system as well.
I also have several Dimarzio Cliplock straps and these are realy solid and comfy straps, but IMHO,only look good on more modern guitar designs and you must be really carefull when puting them in the case with the guitar in order not to damage the finish.

I find that a relatively thick leather strap and the stock buttons, the guitar is not going anywhere. I can't even deliberately get a PRS to fall off a decent strap.

Yes, but how hard were you really trying? After all, if you succeeded, the results were not going to be pleasant!

Schallers on all my stuff except for a couple. One Hamer came with Dunlops, and I'm pretty much not modding that guitar due to its history. I think my Strat is stock buttons, as are my acoustics. All my PRS electrics get Schallers. No issues there, only the occasional retightening.

Back