Strap Locks that fit PRS factory strap buttons

Me too on both. I just hate that straplocks are kinda noisy. It bugs me. I have 2 straps that I use.

Interesting. I’ve never considered them to be noisy. Do you mean that noise is picked up through the pickups? I’m not trying to be disagreeable; I’m genuinely curious about your experience.

Interesting. I’ve never considered them to be noisy. Do you mean that noise is picked up through the pickups? I’m not trying to be disagreeable; I’m genuinely curious about your experience.
Yeah. Obviously only audible when not playing and you're moving around.

The problem is that I like one particular strap that I use on multiple guitars.
There’s only 2 straps in my kit. They’re identical (one brown, one black) and I’ve had them for nearly 40 years and the Schaller locks have been on them for easily 35 years.

I changed mine to Schallers the day I bought the guitar. All my guitars have Schallers as do all my straps. Using one system makes it easy and using strap locks makes it safer. The screw size for Schallers matches the PRS stock screws, at least on my CE.

I decided to resurrect this topic after searching for a while.

I'm not going Yngwie on my guitars, but I'm paranoid if I don't secure my stuff a bit better, although I'm not willing to change PRS strap buttons for something smaller in order to fit my normal strap locks.

I noticed that Chris Buck uses Fender Strap Blocks. Will these fit on a PRS?
There are also other alternatives: Dunlop Ergo Lok Strap System and D'Addario Dual Lock.

Does anyone have experience with these?

I changed the stock strap buttons for Dunlop strap locks. The change went smoothly, the Dunlop screws a teeny weeny bit thicker than the original PRS screws, but I didn’t feel like wrecking my SE Custom 24.
One disadvantage : I prefer the looks of the original strap buttons more, the Dunlops are a bit less elegant.

On the honeymoon phase, unscrewing anything on a new PRS is like performing open heart surgery (I have to take the back plate and put a sock on the tremolo to block a bit of resonance while recording, though). So, I'm going with the original strap buttons.

I guess I'll go with the D'Addario option and then report my findings, in case someone is on the same boat.

Schallers on them all!!
I just received new Schaller strap locks. They’re even better with a longer, threaded shaft on the strap lock part and a thumb-screwable bolt with a grub screw to keep it in place! the part that’s screwed into the guitar remains unchanged....Brilliant!

I like to keep my guitars 100% original. Does anyone make strap locks that fit the PRS original factory installed strap buttons? I will change them if I have to,but don't want to.

If you take the strap button off you can add a flat washer from the bottom, install strap from the back and screw it back on. Instant strap lock

That’s a great idea but how to you put your guitar to bed in its case after a long day of hard shredding?

I usually extend the slit in the strap hole a smidge, so the ends slip over the buttons...like previously stated above. Slip one side under, then the other.
It no doubt helps if the leather isn't super-thick, too.

I usually extend the slit in the strap hole a smidge, so the ends slip over the buttons...like previously stated above. Slip one side under, then the other.
It no doubt helps if the leather isn't super-thick, too.
I do the same thing. Another thing I do is to add 1 small washer to the bottom of the top strap button, and 3 more to the bottom one. It helps when using suede or leather straps that are a little thicker than standard seatbelt types.

After buying a pair of Epivo straps (anyone here using those?), I realized I don't have space for any locks whatsoever. I had to cut the leather a bit for them to fit, and they do fit very, very snuggly. I still won't do any Yngwie moves with them, though.

I used to hate PRS strap bottom but I recently realized they are pretty much the best and "lock" the strap real tight.

Back