Strap Locks that fit PRS factory strap buttons

John in Utah

I like to keep my guitars 100% original. Does anyone make strap locks that fit the PRS original factory installed strap buttons? I will change them if I have to,but don't want to.

I've never seen strap locks what will let you use the stock strap buttons. I will say, if you've got an US made PRS, the stock button are plenty for all the but most intense players. If you've got an SE and don't want to change the buttons, you could use something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Ebony-Black-Rubber-Guitar-Strap/dp/B00Q1UYC52
Just note they won't fit over the buttons on a US made PRS

It’s not the PRS strap buttons that are the problem, but the human (aka, me) trying to use them. I got so fed up trying to brute-force the strap on my first CU24 that I caved and put Schallers on it, like all my other guitars. My standard was set because of Gibson, not PRS.

It’s not the PRS strap buttons that are the problem, but the human (aka, me) trying to use them. I got so fed up trying to brute-force the strap on my first CU24 that I caved and put Schallers on it, like all my other guitars. My standard was set because of Gibson, not PRS.

Me, too.

For this reason I never take them off.

The problem is that I like one particular strap that I use on multiple guitars. Also, I keep most of my guitars in their cases.

I've never had a strap come loose from a PRS.

Me, either. I’ll note that PRS asked John Mayer’s guitar tech if he uses the stock strap buttons on his PRSes on stage, and the answer was yes, Mayer uses the stock buttons and not straplocks.

I really should do a video showing how easily even a very sturdy, pretty thick leather strap goes on the PRS strap buttons, but basically, if you have a one inch strap slot, it’s a simple matter of tucking one side of the slot under the button, and then tucking the other side under it.

Takes a couple of seconds at most. The straps stay in place just fine. A one inch long slit in the strap makes things a lot easier; that’s the size of the buttonhole on the old PRS leather straps, and when I order straps from Heistercamp (England) or Richter (Germany) I specify a one inch buttonhole slit.

Me, either. I’ll note that PRS asked John Mayer’s guitar tech if he uses the stock strap buttons on his PRSes on stage, and the answer was yes, Mayer uses the stock buttons and not straplocks.

Yeah, I used to have my personal tech change all my straps like John, but he finally got to the point where he switched to strap locks.

The problem is that I like one particular strap that I use on multiple guitars. Also, I keep most of my guitars in their cases.

Yeah, I’m kinda a one strap guy too... well, I used to be. I have two straps now but only use one of them with one particular guitar.

Every guitar that I used to own had Schallers. Now with only owning PRS guitars, the over sized strap buttons are just fine. I did replace the small buttons on the SE Tremonti Custom with the US buttons. I haven't bothered with the Angelus buttons.

As for straps, each guitar of mine has a dedicated strap and is picked for the guitar. A lot of factors go into figuring out what strap I want for a given guitar. Yup....it's goofy I know.....but I've always been particular about it.

As for straps, each guitar of mine has a dedicated strap and is picked for the guitar. A lot of factors go into figuring out what strap I want for a given guitar. Yup....it's goofy I know.....but I've always been particular about it.

My guitars are footloose and free; they don’t want to be tied down to one strap apiece. They want to play the field, experience what the world has to offer, and sometimes even take a walk on the wild side.

Oh sure, the straps sometimes complain and want to be in a relationship, but I’d have a guitar revolt on my hands if I insisted on that.

I have custom straps, but they’re mostly boring shades of brown or unimaginative black leather. Maybe that’s why the guitars don’t want to settle down. But they never complain about the choices, so I figure they’re ok with what I offer them. There is that one suede strap, though...

Back