Strap locks or not?

I echo many of the sentiments here! The PRS strap buttons are I think the best solution to a "standard" strap button with their size and shape!! So that is great, but getting them on and off, as many have echoed in other threads, is never the best part of your guitar day!!! I have the Ernie Ball straplocks on my Stingray (thought I would stick with the brand as it was the only one I wanted it for at the time) and my Strat (ride along one the EB train thought) and I really like them. 5 years I believe (but minimal use) and they do what they should very well IMO!!!! After viewing many of the products in the space, I came up with a few ideas that I think may be better, but I am more concerned with playing my guitars when I have time rather than inventing a new strap lock and starting a business! There are certainly improvements that could be made to the systems that are out there, but I am on the verge of committing to one of these existing systems, so I will be intrigued by the feedback rendered here!! I always love a good "Beta vs VHS" exchange!
One of the things about me (that aren't scary or stupid) is that I like to keep things stock/as they were built. So I spent a good 48 hours weighing the pros/cons.
Don't want to drill the guitars, but I will if I have to.

So here's a question...
Why are we either switching to or already using locks?
What's your reason?
Locks for convenience! Save time!! Standard straps "let's keep it stock", which like you, I want to do, but for cryin' out loud, it should not take me 30 seconds to get my favorite leather strap on a guitar when the locks can make it happen in 4 seconds!!! There is a solution though!!!!! Maybe I should spend some time on this ;~))

So here's a question...
Why are we either switching to or already using locks?
What's your reason?
Originally, I played Gibsons and saw what happens if that headstock hits the floor… I wanted to avoid that. The first strap locks were leather, and attached to the guitar then screwed the strap into the other side. You couldn’t disconnect the thing without a screwdriver. They’ve come a long way.

The thing I like about the current Dunlop is that the strap pin is oversized, so even if you forget a strap and have to borrow one, like the PRS button, it’s pretty secure. That’s a bonus, besides the even stronger security of the set.

For live playing, I have one wireless receiver and two transmitters. One goes on each strap, which is then attached (locked) to its guitar. Secure, keeps the right pair together, and has worked flawlessly for decades. It’s probably a bit superstitious, but once something has proven itself to work I rarely change until I have a reason. So I never even tried gigging with the PRS buttons. I did have a brief wrestling match with one trying to get a stiff strap end over the button and said “not happening, bring on the Strap-loks.” I have a strap for every guitar I own, and every one has the same strap locks on them. I have a strap button on the wall behind each guitar, and each strap hangs right with its guitar.

For me, it’s just something I do now. New guitar: buy matching strap, get set of Dunlop SLs to match the hardware, mount everything up and it’s ready to go. I guess you could say it is part of my initial setup. After all this time, I’ve got enough spares to do a half dozen straps in my cabinet.

Like the Doobies said: ”What we’re once vices are now habits”

Last edited:
Locks for convenience! Save time!! Standard straps "let's keep it stock", which like you, I want to do, but for cryin' out loud, it should not take me 30 seconds to get my favorite leather strap on a guitar when the locks can make it happen in 4 seconds!!! There is a solution though!!!!! Maybe I should spend some time on this ;~))
Yeah, one new thick strap I bought just did not love the bass string tree. So I ended up unscrewing it and screwing it back on with the strap instead of cutting the strap etc.

I'm a convert to the new Schaller S-locks and I screw 'em into my new PRSi without hesitation, and I have retrofitted a couple decades-old sets that were getting squeaky and obnoxious. I think they accommodate a thicker strap better than the old ones. The buttons and clips look really similar to the old ones but aren't quite the same. I'll use Dunlops if Schallers aren't available when I pick up a new guitar, but prefer the Schallers.

Cheers mate.
I think the bass string trees are brilliant, and I've been using them for 12 years so far. As much as a toady as I am I guess I wanted to try something new with an easier way to swap/transport guitars to practice and gigs.
I'll know more in a week or two.

I only occasionally play jams and I don't gig. Straplocks are not essential to me but as far as straplock quality goes - Schaller has IMO no competition

One of the things about me (that aren't scary or stupid) is that I like to keep things stock/as they were built. So I spent a good 48 hours weighing the pros/cons.
Don't want to drill the guitars, but I will if I have to.
On the old version of the Schallers you could use the original strap button screw that was on the guitar so it would be easy to swap back to the original buttons. The new Schallers have a screw attached to the button. I don't know about the S, M, L sizing of the Schaller screws as all I've seen is "one size fits all". AND I always use the Fender felt washers underneath the new strap button as I've found even the stock PRS buttons can cause the finish to be removed. I do not put strap locks on any of the vintage guitars I have except for the two Les Paul Heritage models from 1980 .... the size and location of those strap buttons are a disaster waiting to happen.

When you use strap locks it moves the metal loop (which connects the bottom end of the strap material to the leather button slit) away from the edge of the guitar body to avoid scratching. On all leather straps with the smaller leather piece that adjusts the overall length this isn't an issue.

I did have to shave down around the button slits on two of the old PRS thick padded leather straps I use, but you don't see it when the washers for the old-style Schallers are on there. If you are careful the shaved area wouldn't be evident on the new ones.

Finally, I like strap buttons because I keep all of my guitars in cases when I'm not playing them. Admittedly it is hard to heep them in the case when you ARE playing them. In a snap I can put one guitar away and pull another one out to use.

YMMV but it works for me.

I had Schaller Strap Locks on all my guitars since an unfortunate LP drop over 30 years ago. When playing live, my spare guitar had no strap so I could unhook the guitar and swap it out while keeping the same strap in the unlikely event of breaking a string. Since I started using a wireless system with selectable frequencies, I just have a wireless on each guitar and swap the whole thing with the strap. A year ago I picked up a CE24 with original strap buttons and, with no gigs in sight, never got around to swap them out for Schaller's. I find them so secure and convenient that I actually re-installed the original strap buttons on my backup CE24. PRS is the only button I would trust though, still have Schallers Strap Lock on my LP's.

I have Schallers on my Epiphone Flying V. The shape of the guitar was the real factor in that.

Just bought a new PRS Custom 24 and pondered going the same route - but after struggling to put my Couch guitar strap on the stock PRS button, it just doesn’t seem necessary.

I currently have Dunlop Dual Design straplocks on just about all of my guitars. Works for me, and I have no issues with them.

Back