Strap Lock Recommendations?

Slowhands

On my guitars I've always used the Grolsch rubber rings to hold my straps on, work perfectly. On my PRS Cu24 there's been no need as those huge strap buttons are a royal pain to get the strap onto and it's not coming off on its own ever.

The issue I just got a puppy. I keep my guitars on zither stands that hang it just above the floor so the puppy is really digging the straps. He also has a love of nibbling on my sweet switch so I've turned it towards the wall and that solved that. But the strap is still an issue. I need a set of strap locks so I can easily take the strap off when not in use and I'd like to be able to use the original screw from the original strap buttons just to keep the screw hole the same. I'm going to do the same thing for my SG as well. That's my other 'always out of the case' guitar.

The grolsch style ones aren't good for quick removals / connections. I'm not really that familiar with other types so I thought I'd ask the community here what you favor. Advice?

For the record, here's the pup.

Roo-2.jpg

I use Schaller S-Locks on everything. You don’t use the original screw from the stock one because now the screw is integrated into the button.

Another +1 on D'Addario strap lock. Also has a cable holder and reasonable price. One of my guitars has a set. I like them.

750-PW-DLC-01_detail3.jpg

I also like Marvel. It feels so secure and lets me use the same strap from one guitar to the other easily.

K78_b.jpg

strap_lock_grap_original-z-c495-z-zx1200.gif

Thanks for the ideas. My goal is to be able to take the strap off easily for when it's on the stand. So the rubber washer style I use generally is not good for that and has to go. The D'Addario strap lock is the same idea but plastic instead of rubber, I'm sure it's fantastic but it's not (I think) the best choice when you plan to take the strap on/off a lot. The Clip Lock would still have a dangling strap that the pup would attach so that's not going to work.

I think it's down to the style like Ernie Ball / Schaller / D'Addario Universal strap lock. I have had the Schallers before they were great but I'm liking the look of the D'Addario universal ones a lot, very low profile. I'm not familiar with that Marvel one, will need to do some research. I guess the best bet is to give one a try and see how I like it. Leaning towards D'Addario at the moment. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I use the Ernie Ball strap locks like RC Mike on 3 of my guitars (none of my PRS) and they work well IMO. Have never had a problem with them. I like them for situations where I want to swap the same strap to different guitars (which will not be the case with the PRS's). I do intend to put strap locks on the PRS's to be able to take straps off easily as they all get stored in their cases. Anyway, ever since I got my first PRS in Feb '21, my mind has been churning on re-inventing this mouse trap and I believe I have an innovative solution to the strap button game!! Just need to find the extra hours in the day to put together some specs and build a rough 3D model ;~)) Then run it up the flag pole and see who salutes!

Thumbs up to the new pup!! Super cute! Did you name it "Paul", "Reed" or "Smith"?

I use the Ernie Ball strap locks like RC Mike on 3 of my guitars (none of my PRS) and they work well IMO. Have never had a problem with them. I like them for situations where I want to swap the same strap to different guitars (which will not be the case with the PRS's). I do intend to put strap locks on the PRS's to be able to take straps off easily as they all get stored in their cases. Anyway, ever since I got my first PRS in Feb '21, my mind has been churning on re-inventing this mouse trap and I believe I have an innovative solution to the strap button game!! Just need to find the extra hours in the day to put together some specs and build a rough 3D model ;~)) Then run it up the flag pole and see who salutes!

Thumbs up to the new pup!! Super cute! Did you name it "Paul", "Reed" or "Smith"?
Pup's name is Roo. I suggested it as a joke because he hopped when he ran through taller grass (tiny legs and all) and instead of laughing my daughter declared that was his name. So there it is.

If you do come up with a great innovation on strap locks then resist the temptation to show us all prototypes of it until you've protected your intellectual property rights. Once you've done that I'd love to be a customer!

A third for the S locks
The S-locks are clearly very popular. I had a 1982 "Dan Smith" Stratocaster (1982s are unique and fantastic, 1981 and 1983 suck) for a while that I bought used and it had long drywall screws sticking out where the strap buttons should have been. I took out the screws and played it seated exclusively. Fantastic guitar. But the time came to sell and when I had to I put on S-locks that I had bought on a super sale and had sitting in my cabinet. So I did use them for a time. They are good.

As an aside, It felt a little like the screw was kind of short but maybe that's bad memory on my part. I don't think so though because the drywall screws messed up the screw holes and I had to glue in a toothpick to sort ot rebuild the holes and I was wishing there was a longer screw to make sure it had maximum bite. I may have actually put in my own screw, not sure. This is why I was wanting to keep the original screws if possible, those drywall screws scarred me for life.

S locks. Funny part is the fender locking strap buttons are very similar, dirt cheap, but use a screw that’s too thin. I swapped using the guitars original screws on some of mine (I think that works on SE/S2). Works great if you got the strap you want to use on multiple guitars.

All my electric guitars get Schaller strap locks. The older version with the removable screw afford me the ability to match the original guitars screw diameter and thread pitch ensuring a proper fit. I simply file down the screw head of a new screw to fit into the strap lock hole so as to preserve the original screw in case of resale.

I fitted the Schaller S lock to my Custom 24 35th Anniversary model, and I opted to fit the extra long screws which are similar length to what PRS fit.

All Schallers here as well. They seem the most positive and fool-proof (speaking as a certified fool), especially compared to the Dunlop design. With the Dunlop pin going straight in, it's possible for the little ball bearings to not actually engage in the groove and then slide right out...I've had it happen:eek:

With the Schaller design, if you orient the U-shaped strap piece like a properly mounted horseshoe (open end 'up') on the strap, then even if for some reason the pin didn't engage (which is almost impossible), the button sitting in the closed end of the horseshoe still supports the guitar. Plus the audible -(snap)- of the pin engaging helps, and with the horseshoe oriented properly, the weight of the guitar ensures the pin is properly engaged. The old ones could be a tad noisy or squeaky though. The new "S" design seems better.

Back