Strap Lock for PRS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drbob1, Aug 8, 2020.

1. drbob1

drbob1 New Member

I love my leather straps but they are TOUGH to get over the strap buttons. I don't really want to leave them installed long term, I'm worried about the finish (particularly on the PS models).

So could someone design a strap lock to fit over the PRS button? Would they?

2. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Zombie Zero, DFZ

I bought some 3D modeling software about 6-months ago to prototype a concept that I think would work. I lost interest when it became clear they wouldn’t be economically viable.

Buy a Schaller strap-lock and call it good.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I use thick leather straps made by Heistercamp in England and Richter in Germany, but there are lots of fine US strap makers that'll do this, too:

I have the straps made with the buttonholes a little longer, about one inch instead of whatever the standard length is. This makes it very easy to get the straps over the buttons. I tuck one edge of the button slot under one side of the strap button, and then tuck the other side over. Pull the strap a little to fully engage the button, and you're in business. Doesn't take any longer than using a standard button.

The idea to use a one inch button slot came from measuring one of PRS' soft leather straps from a few years ago. It was about a one inch length.

There's no need to use strap locks, and if the leather's sturdy (the above strap makers use excellent leathers), the strap won't come off unless you're doing acrobatics with the guitar on. I have both PS and Core models, and I don't worry about my guitars when using the stock buttons.

You might be able to lengthen the buttonhole slots on your current straps; if they're too valuable to risk monkeying around with, any competent shoe or leather repair person should be able to do it.

Note: If you decide to look at the Heistercamp stuff, their standard straps are thicker than the distance between the top of the button and the guitar, i.e., too thick to use with the stock strap buttons. However, their Super-Soft straps will fit, and FYI, they're not soft and mushy straps, they're pretty darn thick and firm. These are the only straps I buy nowadays for my guitars, though I also like the Richter Spring Break straps.

4. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 Not buying any more guitars. Again.

The only times I have ever had a guitar fall off of me while playing was while using strap locks.

Perhaps you would be interested in Zakk Wylde's technique where he screws in a huge eye-bolt from the hardware store into the strap button holes and then uses a D-ring through the strap hole to hook onto the eye-bolt.

[​IMG]

Glide-bpm likes this.
  5. drbob1

drbob1 New Member

Yeah, trying to stay away from modding, I could, of course, use Dunlop strap buttons for this. Also, I have the straps (picked up 30 of them when a company went out of business). I have tried cutting the hole longer and it works but it's awkward... Dunlop makes a plastic lace and clamp thing that works well for some strap buttons, but PRS are too wide and short shafted.

Glide-bpm likes this.
  6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Just try lengthening the buttonhole on one of your straps, and use my technique. It really does work.

7. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

My solution is to unscrew the strap button and set the strap over the screw hole. Then put the strap button back on. If you don't plan on taking the strap off the guitar it's a permanent fix.

bodia and Warmart like this.
  8. markd21

markd21 New Member

I have always used the DiMarzio clip lock straps to great effect. I have never lost a guitar - even in my toss over the shoulder days.

Alnus Rubra and Tahlee like this.
  9. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

‘power bands’?

10. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

I think that’s referring to his leather Wonder Woman bracelets.

ScottR and bodia like this.
  11. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

maybe he has floppy wrists. the vest does suit him butter now that he’s porked out. whoa, all this guitar talk is making me hungry.

Warmart, ScottR, Tahlee and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gie663

Gie663 Flanders (Belgium)

Since my telecaster has Dunlop strap locks, I also installed them on my PRS SE Custom 24. A job done in 15 minutes. Never had any issues with the Dunlops.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

All my guitars has and had Marvel Strap Locks. They're awesome. It maes it easier for me to interchange straps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  14. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I put Schallers on all of mine. I like the company and their product. I’ve never had any problem. I especially like the convenience; they slip off and on so easily.

Eddie kim and Rich5150 like this.
  15. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Ditto

Eddie kim likes this.
  16. Tony M.

Tony M. New Member

I use Schallers on my PRS and EBMM guitars.
    The Gibsons all use the "big washer" method.

The only issue I have with them is that they or any straplock will make noise if you move around.
    This is not really noticed in most live situations but in a studio it can be a problem.

Silver Sky Surfer likes this.
  17. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

Ahhhh, a fellow Music Man fan. :) I’ve recently developed an issue, though. The more I play the wide/fat PRS necks, the thinner my Axis neck feels (width).

18. Screamingdaisy

On PRS I use the stock pins, but on other guitars I use Schallers.

What’s good with Schallers is that (done correctly) it’s a non-permanent mod. You can return the guitar to stock at any time.

Most of the problems you hear about with Schallers are user error or can be corrected. I.e., the provided screws don’t fit in your guitar (go to store and buy correct sized screw for your guitar), the guitar falls off the strap (user mounted the U shaped retainer cup upside-down), the retaining nut falls off (tighten it and use Loctite), they makes noise when moving (put some grease or wax in the cup).

The reason I don’t use Schallers on PRS is because I think the stock pins work better.

bodia likes this.
  19. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Same, quick, easy, simple design.

littlebadboy likes this.
  20. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

Tried several strap locks. Currently I use both Schaller and D'Addario as well as some locking straps. Depends on what fits the guitar!

For PRS I use rubber washers.