Strap Lock for PRS?

drbob1

I love my leather straps but they are TOUGH to get over the strap buttons. I don't really want to leave them installed long term, I'm worried about the finish (particularly on the PS models).

So could someone design a strap lock to fit over the PRS button? Would they?

I use thick leather straps made by Heistercamp in England and Richter in Germany, but there are lots of fine US strap makers that'll do this, too:

I have the straps made with the buttonholes a little longer, about one inch instead of whatever the standard length is. This makes it very easy to get the straps over the buttons. I tuck one edge of the button slot under one side of the strap button, and then tuck the other side over. Pull the strap a little to fully engage the button, and you're in business. Doesn't take any longer than using a standard button.

The idea to use a one inch button slot came from measuring one of PRS' soft leather straps from a few years ago. It was about a one inch length.

There's no need to use strap locks, and if the leather's sturdy (the above strap makers use excellent leathers), the strap won't come off unless you're doing acrobatics with the guitar on. I have both PS and Core models, and I don't worry about my guitars when using the stock buttons.

You might be able to lengthen the buttonhole slots on your current straps; if they're too valuable to risk monkeying around with, any competent shoe or leather repair person should be able to do it.

Note: If you decide to look at the Heistercamp stuff, their standard straps are thicker than the distance between the top of the button and the guitar, i.e., too thick to use with the stock strap buttons. However, their Super-Soft straps will fit, and FYI, they're not soft and mushy straps, they're pretty darn thick and firm. These are the only straps I buy nowadays for my guitars, though I also like the Richter Spring Break straps.

The only times I have ever had a guitar fall off of me while playing was while using strap locks.

Perhaps you would be interested in Zakk Wylde's technique where he screws in a huge eye-bolt from the hardware store into the strap button holes and then uses a D-ring through the strap hole to hook onto the eye-bolt.

OIP.8-bo5M0LblCZiXwL9ZSNKgHaJg

Yeah, trying to stay away from modding, I could, of course, use Dunlop strap buttons for this. Also, I have the straps (picked up 30 of them when a company went out of business). I have tried cutting the hole longer and it works but it's awkward... Dunlop makes a plastic lace and clamp thing that works well for some strap buttons, but PRS are too wide and short shafted.

Yeah, trying to stay away from modding, I could, of course, use Dunlop strap buttons for this. Also, I have the straps (picked up 30 of them when a company went out of business). I have tried cutting the hole longer and it works but it's awkward... Dunlop makes a plastic lace and clamp thing that works well for some strap buttons, but PRS are too wide and short shafted.

Just try lengthening the buttonhole on one of your straps, and use my technique. It really does work.

My solution is to unscrew the strap button and set the strap over the screw hole. Then put the strap button back on. If you don't plan on taking the strap off the guitar it's a permanent fix.

Since my telecaster has Dunlop strap locks, I also installed them on my PRS SE Custom 24. A job done in 15 minutes. Never had any issues with the Dunlops.

I use Schallers on my PRS and EBMM guitars.
The Gibsons all use the "big washer" method.

The only issue I have with them is that they or any straplock will make noise if you move around.
This is not really noticed in most live situations but in a studio it can be a problem.

On PRS I use the stock pins, but on other guitars I use Schallers.

What’s good with Schallers is that (done correctly) it’s a non-permanent mod. You can return the guitar to stock at any time.

Most of the problems you hear about with Schallers are user error or can be corrected. I.e., the provided screws don’t fit in your guitar (go to store and buy correct sized screw for your guitar), the guitar falls off the strap (user mounted the U shaped retainer cup upside-down), the retaining nut falls off (tighten it and use Loctite), they makes noise when moving (put some grease or wax in the cup).

The reason I don’t use Schallers on PRS is because I think the stock pins work better.

Tried several strap locks. Currently I use both Schaller and D'Addario as well as some locking straps. Depends on what fits the guitar!

For PRS I use rubber washers.

Back