Storyville/Grissom - What Passes For Love Chord Help?

samldr1984

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm wondering if anyone has learnt this song?
I'm just stuck on the chord which is last in the main riff. I think I'm pretty much there but any help would be great.

Thanks
Sam

I admit, learning this song (including the intro from the Live show recording) is on my list of tunes to learn.

This song has been on my learning list since I first heard it a few years ago at the Experience... Try watching as he plays it here!

Last edited by a moderator:
G. Fadd2. Em7. Fadd2. Is what I remember from the intro. Use your thumb to play the f on the 6 th string after the Em7. If I had a guitar nearby I'd double check that...sitting in the hotel lobby that's all I've got.

G. Fadd2. Em7. Fadd2. Is what I remember from the intro. Use your thumb to play the f on the 6 th string after the Em7. If I had a guitar nearby I'd double check that...sitting in the hotel lobby that's all I've got.

Thanks, it's basically what I had but I'm sat in my shop not plugged in and I just thought it was missing something. I'll try it plugged in, I'm sure it'll come alive. :) Thanks again>

Ok, I've just had a proper look and I think on the Em7 you need to mute the G string (think Mr. Big by Free). The F varies from either an Fadd9 (open g string and fretted at the third. An F5 also works. He's not an easy guy to work out at all.

Technically, the chord is Fadd9, because the G is being added an octave above the root. An Fadd2 implies a cluster voicing, where the root, 2nd and third degree are being played within the same octave.

Like this:

|--x
|--x
|--x

The Em7 voicing is this one:

|--x
|--(0) optional

Technically, the chord is Fadd9, because the G is being added an octave above the root. An Fadd2 implies a cluster voicing, where the root, 2nd and third degree are being played within the same octave.

Like this:

|--x
|--x
|--x

The Em7 voicing is this one:

|--x
|--(0) optional

Yeah, Fadd9 is definitely correct. I've watched a video where he says it's that. Good call on the Em7 too.
Which Grissom song shall we pull apart next? :)

If you are talking about this guy..... there is something disturbing about this video that I'd rather not actually put into words...

I'm glad that someone else thought that this video is disturbing! Maybe the guy is watching himself on a monitor or maybe he is just possessed!

Here's a rough tab of what I see and hear when David is playing the opening riff:

Code:
[FONT=courier new]
E|----------------------------3----------------3-----3-------
B|-----------------3---5-3----1----3---5-3-----3-----1-------
G|-----------------3---5-3----2----3---5-3-----------2-------
D|-----3-3-4-4-5-5---5-----5--3------5-----5-3-2-----3-------
A|-5-5------------------------x----------------2-----x-------
E|----------------------------1----------------------1-------
                              Fadd9            Em7   Fadd9
                              (x2)            (x8)   (x8)[/FONT]

The notation xN, where N is a number, is used to denote how many times the chord notated above in the tab is played. Hopefully, this tab is close enough to get one on the page.

It sounds like David is selectively playing a few of the G's on the fifth fret of the D string as double stops with C on the fifth fret of the G string to add flavor, which would make the double stop a G4 dyad.

Back