Stoptail Bridges: Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustabe?

I had a couple adjustable wrap tailpieces on my '06 McCarty - I finally just got tired of fishing the strings through when there were no little "tubes" to guide the strings through to the back of the tailpiece. I finally just put the original, factory wrap McCarty tailpiece on the guitar and I've been a happy player going of four years now after ditching the adjustable wrappers. No alt tunings, 10-46's - Simpler is gooder, at least for me.

In almost 10 years spanning this thread, I bet the answers are still the same.

I came up on adjustable bridges and resisted buying PRS because of the cheaper (as in less expensive) fixed bridges just seemed, well… cheaper (as in less desirable because they can’t do all that an adjustable might). I have several fixed bridge PRSi now, they’re stable and tune well, and don’t really think about it anymore. My internal makes-sense-o-meter still says I would pick adjustable if given a choice, but the non-adjustable ones are no longer a purchase deal breaker. I don’t use any heavily dropped tunings or unusually light/heavy strings.

I’ve struggled too with the decision. Seems to me it was un upgrade for the regular McCarty for years. So I assumed it means it was superior. Mann Made 2300 bridges are amazing. But I tell you what. The standard wrap around is great. The brass inserts are nice, but even the regular version is great. Stability and intonation is perfection.

I’ve also come to realize practically no PRS bridge sucks. Heck even the SE vibrato is better than a stock fender American Strat if you factor in the ability to float and retain intonation. I swapped out my strats American professional trem to a hip shot to mimic a PRS’s floating style. And I have zero regrets.

It’s funny this thread got bumped cause I’ve actually been pondering this topic. I have a 98 McCarty that a previous owner put a Tone Pros adjustable on it and that guitar rips. Good sustain and nice and resonate. Then I recently took in a 2009 CU22 with an original Hardtail (non-brass insert) type and I’ve thought “I should swap it out for an adjustable bridge”! To be honest I sometimes can’t just leave well enough alone cause I love to tinker haha. BUT now that I’ve taken the time to really dial in the intonation with the original one I don’t even see the need cause the damn guitar sounds and plays so well.

I have had them all with the exception of the Schroeder.

The non-adjustable PRS stoptail is a refined masterpiece that’s beautifully simple and functional. The only reason to not fully trust in it and embrace it is if you’re a confused guitarist who hates bass players.

I have had them all with the exception of the Schroeder.

The non-adjustable PRS stoptail is a refined masterpiece that’s beautifully simple and functional. The only reason to not fully trust in it and embrace it is if you’re a confused guitarist who hates bass players.
Or if you use an odd set of strings with unusual gauge combinations that won't intonate, no matter what (insert Badfinger sound clip).

I think I prefer the simplicity of the fixed. I have various bridges and like them all but the more I journey through life the more I like simple.

I’ve had all 3 stoptails on my ‘93/Custom 22.
# 1. The original all aluminum version
# 2. the newer stoptail with brass inserts
# 3. the fully adjustable, individual saddle version
imho, the best sounding of the 3 was the newer stoptail with brass inserts . a noticeable difference in solid tone and harmonics. At least it is on my CU22…your preference may vary..
It intonates perfectly in standard tuning (which is all I use)…with the 25” scale. Intonate the high and low E…
an interesting note. The P22 Piezo adjustable bridge also sounds fantastic. Very different in many ways from their #3 version

Last edited:
I only have one guitar with a fixed bridge. My Tim Mahoney SE Custom 24. After getting it at such a deal I decided to upgrade all available parts with US made units. So, I got the Mann version of the adjustable bridge. At first I didn't like it because it changed the angle and feel of the action, but the gains in tone were apparent. This guitar was very light as a stock model, so after the mods it "feels" more like a core model. Of course , it's my only "back up " guitar because with the stop tail I can tune it to whatever range I need.

speaking of stop tails: have the tolerance for the studs changed over the years? I tried using an older brass stud set from an early 2000's CE and using it with a modern wrap around with brass inserts. It was so insanely tight with the bridge that I was not comfortable using the studs. I felt like if I got it on all they way it was never going to come off. I used the regular studs that came with the new bridge and it fit fine.

speaking of stop tails: have the tolerance for the studs changed over the years? I tried using an older brass stud set from an early 2000's CE and using it with a modern wrap around with brass inserts. It was so insanely tight with the bridge that I was not comfortable using the studs. I felt like if I got it on all they way it was never going to come off. I used the regular studs that came with the new bridge and it fit fine.
I know that the Mann Made brass bridge studs are interchangeable with my ‘93 Custom 22 stock studs

Back