Stoptail Bridges: Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustabe?

LJD

Are there any tonal advantages/disadvantages to either type?
Also, are the PRS piezo system bridges designed differently or is the piezo simply attached to the bottom of a standard adjustable PRS bridge?

(please excuse title typo)

Last edited:
I have all adjustable stoptails on my PRS. I love them for the ability to set intonation with varying tunings.

May not be nessessary, but I like that I can make the choice.

I was often curious about the difference in the bridges especially in regards to alternate or drop tunings.

When I spec'd my first PS I requested fixed bridge and a Drop C setup but did not mention which bridge. I wanted to see what they'd give me. It arrived with a non-adjustable bridge which I had hoped would be the case after debating for them as solid for drop tunings. It's stable. Plays great. In tune as much as any other guitar I own. Love it.

I don't hear a discernible difference in tone between the 2 really. I have adjustable on my drop C guitars, I'm using 11 14 18 36 52 60 string gauge there. If I'm in standard or drop D, I use a 10-52 set and can leave the regular stoptail on.
I was often curious about the difference in the bridges especially in regards to alternate or drop tunings.

When I spec'd my first PS I requested fixed bridge and a Drop C setup but did not mention which bridge. I wanted to see what they'd give me. It arrived with a non-adjustable bridge which I had hoped would be the case after debating for them as solid for drop tunings. It's stable. Plays great. In tune as much as any other guitar I own. Love it.
Interesting, what string gauge are you using in drop C?

I don't hear a discernible difference in tone between the 2 really. I have adjustable on my drop C guitars, I'm using 11 14 18 36 52 60 string gauge there. If I'm in standard or drop D, I use a 10-52 set and can leave the regular stoptail on.

Interesting, what string gauge are you using in drop C?

Elixir NANOWEB 11-49.

I've had mixed results trying to get a 245 scale to intonate in dropped d-flat with DGT 11s. Not sure if it was just me or the string gauge, scale length, etc. The A and D strings we just a tad off if you adjusted the bass side of the bridge for the D-flat on the low E. Not really noticeable with a lot of gain but just enough to bug me.

I like an adjustable bridge for comfort when I play. The non adjustable stoptail makes me hold my picking hand in a way that bothers my wrist. I noticed it most when I was palm muting. For whatever reason, an adjustable stoptail (I have two Schroder stoptails) feels more natural and I don't have any issues with my wrist getting tired.

I don't have any real issue with the non adjustable other than the lean on the posts on the SE's. That's what got me into the locking studs.

I've got the Schroeder adjustable bridge and locking studs on their way in the next few weeks. The bridge I'm getting more for experimentation and because I hope it'll mate up with their studs nicely which the Tonepros didn't.

Intonation wise I found the SE bridge acceptable with some minor adjustments. If I get the low and high E's right then the middle 4 strings seem ever so slightly off. My ears don't hear it though! The Schroeder has brass saddles on the machined aluminium bridge. Will I hear a difference with this? Be interesting to see.

I've got the Schroeder adjustable bridge and locking studs on their way in the next few weeks. The bridge I'm getting more for experimentation and because I hope it'll mate up with their studs nicely which the Tonepros didn't.

Intonation wise I found the SE bridge acceptable with some minor adjustments. If I get the low and high E's right then the middle 4 strings seem ever so slightly off. My ears don't hear it though! The Schroeder has brass saddles on the machined aluminium bridge. Will I hear a difference with this? Be interesting to see.
Sweet, looking forward to hearing your review of this. I've had my eye on those for a while.

Seems to me Paul wants as few subtractive elements between the metals and woods as possible for tonal purity purposes.
However, I could be dead wrong...

That's what I assumed, thinking a solid fixed saddle stoptail would transfer sound (better?). Is the intonation dead-on with the non adjustable?

I don't believe a non adjustable transfers sound any better. I've had both on the same and different guitars. I can't hear a difference, especially not thru an amp.
Intonation, even with heavy strings like 11-54, seems fine.

I tried a couple adjustables. It has been a few years so I don't remember why, but I did not care for them. Mann, PRS and Schroeder. Non-adjustable works well for me and sounds best to my ears, but I use common strings in standard tuning.

I also noticed a difference between original stoptail, milled and the ones with brass inserts.

Back