Stoptail Bridges: Adjustable vs. Non-Adjustabe?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LJD, May 10, 2013.

1. LJD

LJD New Member

Are there any tonal advantages/disadvantages to either type?
    Also, are the PRS piezo system bridges designed differently or is the piezo simply attached to the bottom of a standard adjustable PRS bridge?

(please excuse title typo)

#1 LJD, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I know that Paul doesn't like the adjustable, but my sub-human ears can't hear any difference.

3. Gnal

Gnal New Member

I have all adjustable stoptails on my PRS. I love them for the ability to set intonation with varying tunings.

May not be nessessary, but I like that I can make the choice.

4. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

I was often curious about the difference in the bridges especially in regards to alternate or drop tunings.

When I spec'd my first PS I requested fixed bridge and a Drop C setup but did not mention which bridge. I wanted to see what they'd give me. It arrived with a non-adjustable bridge which I had hoped would be the case after debating for them as solid for drop tunings. It's stable. Plays great. In tune as much as any other guitar I own. Love it.

5. cjmwrx

cjmwrx Wheels

I have had zero issues with a non-adjustable stop tail. I was concerned the first time I bought one, now I enjoy having it. Drop tune a lot.

6. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

I don't hear a discernible difference in tone between the 2 really. I have adjustable on my drop C guitars, I'm using 11 14 18 36 52 60 string gauge there. If I'm in standard or drop D, I use a 10-52 set and can leave the regular stoptail on.
    Interesting, what string gauge are you using in drop C?

7. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

Elixir NANOWEB 11-49.

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Ah, I see how that could probably intonate just fine.

9. yankeebulldog

yankeebulldog I don't like to get that specific

I've had mixed results trying to get a 245 scale to intonate in dropped d-flat with DGT 11s. Not sure if it was just me or the string gauge, scale length, etc. The A and D strings we just a tad off if you adjusted the bass side of the bridge for the D-flat on the low E. Not really noticeable with a lot of gain but just enough to bug me.

10. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot New Member

I like an adjustable bridge for comfort when I play. The non adjustable stoptail makes me hold my picking hand in a way that bothers my wrist. I noticed it most when I was palm muting. For whatever reason, an adjustable stoptail (I have two Schroder stoptails) feels more natural and I don't have any issues with my wrist getting tired.

11. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

I don't have any real issue with the non adjustable other than the lean on the posts on the SE's. That's what got me into the locking studs.

I've got the Schroeder adjustable bridge and locking studs on their way in the next few weeks. The bridge I'm getting more for experimentation and because I hope it'll mate up with their studs nicely which the Tonepros didn't.

Intonation wise I found the SE bridge acceptable with some minor adjustments. If I get the low and high E's right then the middle 4 strings seem ever so slightly off. My ears don't hear it though! The Schroeder has brass saddles on the machined aluminium bridge. Will I hear a difference with this? Be interesting to see.

12. LJD

LJD New Member

Reason why?

13. Hopeful Sinner

Hopeful Sinner Angry Southern Gentleman

Seems to me Paul wants as few subtractive elements between the metals and woods as possible for tonal purity purposes.
    However, I could be dead wrong...

14. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Sweet, looking forward to hearing your review of this. I've had my eye on those for a while.

15. LJD

LJD New Member

That's what I assumed, thinking a solid fixed saddle stoptail would transfer sound (better?). Is the intonation dead-on with the non adjustable?