Stock Trem vs John Mann 2000NOS Single Piece Trem on a CE-22, plus other stuff

growboxguy

I am looking for some input as I have a new John Mann 2000NOS Single Piece Tremolo that I can put on in place of the stock trem that came on my 2001 CE-22. Would this be worth the swap out? I have heard sustain and tone would be improved, opinions? I am running PRS Metal Pickups in my CE so am wondering just what I would notice by adding the 2000NOS. FYI my rig is a TSL60 Head and 1960AV 4 12 Cab and I play mainly Saliva, Puddle of Mudd, Nickleback, Soundgarden, Metallica, Godsmack etc. etc type of music.

I was also wondering what tuners my guitar comes with, I have a set of brand new PRS Phase II's sitting in a drawer and was wondering if that is what is already on the guitar. I also have a new American PRS nut laying around, is this the same one that should be on my CE? By the way I just purchased my CE off eBay, it will be here next week so I am just getting prepared.

One more question what is my new guitars body and neck made of?

Thanks so much for the hand everybody!

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the standard trem, far from it infact. I put a mannmade trem in my ce24 it was well worth the money. Feels more resonant.
How do you like the metal pickups thru the Marshall?

I am looking for some input as I have a new John Mann 2000NOS Single Piece Tremolo that I can put on in place of the stock trem that came on my 2001 CE-22. Would this be worth the swap out? I have heard sustain and tone would be improved, opinions? I am running PRS Metal Pickups in my CE so am wondering just what I would notice by adding the 2000NOS.

I did this on my 97 CE24.

There was a noticable tone change - it's subjective as to whether you'd call it better or not. In comparison to the old trem, the JohnMann trem sounded more 'metally', it had a sharper attack, was clearer, but was less warm than the original trem. I'd say it had more sustain as well.

I changed out the trem in mine because the old one tarnished, and I felt as though the tuning stability could be improved. I didn't expect as large of a tonal change as it had - but it did change it. It was great for rock or metal - not so great if you want smoother sounding tones - although the Dragon I's aren't known for their smoothness as it is.

IMO - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a John Mann one piece bridge on nearly all of my tremolo based guitars. When comparing bridges with similar finishing (nickel or raw brass), I cannot hear any difference at all. That said, I do prefer the vintage appeal of the original design.

Its mahogany body, maple capped, maple neck, original winged tuners, I don't think the phase II's line up, american nut, most likely needs nothing but TLC and playing time!

I have two ces with winged tuners both have shared g and d screws. I replaced with phase two on both. They fit fine but you will have to drill new screw holes to secure them.

I have two ces with winged tuners both have shared g and d screws. I replaced with phase two on both. They fit fine but you will have to drill new screw holes to secure them.

There is another option (via the PTC) if you dislike drilling holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My "new" CE-22 arrived today!

20140312_122722_zpsd480f681.jpg

20140312_122906_zps46f4c6c4.jpg

20140312_122915_zps376f5ec2.jpg

20140312_122753_zpsa92347e8.jpg

20140312_122802_zps4a22dd6d.jpg

20140312_082039_zps00a71881.jpg

Hi all,

As mentioned in an earlier post, my Allender has the passive pups and, I was asking if they would be good for jazz and/or blues. The bats are unimportant to me. I just thought it was a well made good sounding guitar that could be improved with some simple mods. I just finished carving and polishing a fossil ivory nut.

I also replaced the Korean PRS trem with a 2000NOS MIL-COM INC. cast John Mann trem. It arrived two days ago….very fast shipping and great packaging. I had a couple of phone conversations with John and he was very helpful. His trem is beautiful with polished saddles and other surfaces. The gold plating is fantastic and I think the price was quite reasonable. The only minor issue is that his 2000NOS trems are made for American PRS guitars so the claw hole spacing is different and the six bridge mounting screws have a very slightly different pitch and the shank diameter is .003 - .004 smaller than the Korean screws.

Regarding the claw you can use the Korean claw, which I did, or you can fill and re-drill the two claw mounting screw holes or elongate the holes in his claw. Regarding the mounting screw holes John thought they would be fine as is but, if I wanted a tight fit, he suggested using some super glue. However I happen to have some metal filled epoxy so I brushed some onto the inner diameter wall of the holes and re-drilled them to his specification. This was probably unnecessary but I wanted a snug shank fit to ensure that there would be no screw vibration. Overall I love his bridge.

henryr

Back