Stock pickups on Core guitars

On your core guitars do you currently have the original pickups in it, or have you "upgraded"?

• Total voters
I do pickup changes on duplicate models as well.

If I owned multiples of a model, I could be tempted to try and change 1 with different PU's too or may just keep it as stock with a different tuning. Because I don't, I have other guitar models that offer something different instead. I totally understand that you wouldn't want multiple guitars that all sound similar unless you need a back-up for touring.

I knew going into buying the guitar that the 85/15 pickups might not be quite to my taste which leans towards a more vintage sound

I do prefer a more Vintage sound myself and not that keen on 'Hot' pickups. To me, the Custom 24 is more of a modern instrument than my 594 is for example - maybe 'classic' is better than 'modern' in this case. I think of the 50's/60's era as being vintage with 80's being the 'classic' era (70's wasn't the best era for guitars in general) and I do think the 85/15's are more of a classic and that's where I feel my Custom 24 fits so the 85/15's suit this guitar for me. Its also my only 24 fret guitar which I feel sits well in that 'classic' era.

I am not criticising at all - its just interesting how you and I both approached the Custom 24. You obviously wanted to push yours back in time for a more vintage approach where as I wanted it for its 'classic' vibe. I know some for example want to bring the 594 forward with more classic or even modern type PU's where as I wanted mine because it gave that vintage sound...

I personally can't see beyond what the guitar offers to predict whether or not I could shape the sound more to what I think I want. If the guitar isn't quite what I wanted - ie a more vintage Custom 24 or a more classic/modern 594, I don't think I could buy with the possibility that a different set of PU's would change the guitar to something that I would want more. This is the main reason I have all Stock PU's because I buy based on what the guitar is like, what it offers as a complete package and where its 'role' fits. I buy into the vision of the manufacturer to a degree and loved the story of how the 594 came about which placed it firmly in the vintage era sonically and, if I were interested in the Silver Sky, I would buy it for that 63/64 era Strat rather than think these are excellent LP/S type guitars from a build/quality perspective but wanting a more 'modern' sound from them. Its that kind of thing that makes the Custom 24 more a classic 80's thing, knowing that PRS opened up their first factory in 85 and started making Custom 24's for the market and as such, I feel the 85/15's fit that era and that guitar.

As I said, I am not criticising anyone who does buy guitars with the thought that they can change the PU's to mould the guitar to their vision. For me, I have to like the guitar as is for me to buy, have to want the guitar as a whole inc the PU's and the way they sound in that guitar and if there is some vision from the builder, like setting out to build a Vintage LP sounding guitar or saying that the 85/15's were the Pick-ups Paul wished he'd made to launch the Custom 24, that adds to guitar to me making me even less inclined to mess with it - if that makes sense.

I think the 58/15 and 58/15 LT are some of the best pickups out there. They are absolutely amazing. I've kept the original pickups on the other PRSi I own. I personally prefer the 58/15 on my McCarty to the 85/15 on my Custom 24, however, I've kept it stock because it gives me a different sound. The one I'm very close to swap is the Dragon II on my Custom 22. They are excellent pickups, but I much prefer other PRS pickups, including, for instance, the Korean made Mira pickups. I'm thinking BK for the CU22.

I do prefer a more Vintage sound myself and not that keen on 'Hot' pickups. To me, the Custom 24 is more of a modern instrument than my 594 is for example - maybe 'classic' is better than 'modern' in this case. I think of the 50's/60's era as being vintage with 80's being the 'classic' era (70's wasn't the best era for guitars in general) and I do think the 85/15's are more of a classic and that's where I feel my Custom 24 fits so the 85/15's suit this guitar for me. Its also my only 24 fret guitar which I feel sits well in that 'classic' era.

I am not criticising at all - its just interesting how you and I both approached the Custom 24. You obviously wanted to push yours back in time for a more vintage approach where as I wanted it for its 'classic' vibe. I know some for example want to bring the 594 forward with more classic or even modern type PU's where as I wanted mine because it gave that vintage sound...

I personally can't see beyond what the guitar offers to predict whether or not I could shape the sound more to what I think I want. If the guitar isn't quite what I wanted - ie a more vintage Custom 24 or a more classic/modern 594, I don't think I could buy with the possibility that a different set of PU's would change the guitar to something that I would want more. This is the main reason I have all Stock PU's because I buy based on what the guitar is like, what it offers as a complete package and where its 'role' fits. I buy into the vision of the manufacturer to a degree and loved the story of how the 594 came about which placed it firmly in the vintage era sonically and, if I were interested in the Silver Sky, I would buy it for that 63/64 era Strat rather than think these are excellent LP/S type guitars from a build/quality perspective but wanting a more 'modern' sound from them. Its that kind of thing that makes the Custom 24 more a classic 80's thing, knowing that PRS opened up their first factory in 85 and started making Custom 24's for the market and as such, I feel the 85/15's fit that era and that guitar.

As I said, I am not criticising anyone who does buy guitars with the thought that they can change the PU's to mould the guitar to their vision. For me, I have to like the guitar as is for me to buy, have to want the guitar as a whole inc the PU's and the way they sound in that guitar and if there is some vision from the builder, like setting out to build a Vintage LP sounding guitar or saying that the 85/15's were the Pick-ups Paul wished he'd made to launch the Custom 24, that adds to guitar to me making me even less inclined to mess with it - if that makes sense.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I probably could have looked at a McCarty but I really liked the spec on the Custom 22, I like the body size as it feels very familiar coming from Strats, and I love the Pattern Regular neck. I didn't have a chance to play either since I had to order online. I don't like to mod guitars really but the one exception I make is pickups as there is such a vast pallete of tones out there that to expect a builders to make a guitar exactly as I like it with exactly the pickups I'd choose seems a tall order. I don't have a stable of guitars, this PRS was a huge purchase for me so getting a Custom 22 and a McCarty just isn't in the cards for me right now. So I looked at it as finding the guitar that was just what I wanted minus the pickups....and then it's super easy and completely reversible to swap pickups around. I could put this back to stock with 30mins and a fresh set of strings which is nice to know.....but honestly, after playing it with the 57/08s for a while I can't imagine ever wanting to do so. It's now exactly the guitar I wanted it to be....from looks, to feel, to sound. Some people can afford to go Private Stock to get exactly what they want in a PRS....thankfully I wasn't too far away with the Custom 22 and one small tweak got me to where I wanted to go :)

I think the 58/15 and 58/15 LT are some of the best pickups out there. They are absolutely amazing. I've kept the original pickups on the other PRSi I own. I personally prefer the 58/15 on my McCarty to the 85/15 on my Custom 24, however, I've kept it stock because it gives me a different sound. The one I'm very close to swap is the Dragon II on my Custom 22. They are excellent pickups, but I much prefer other PRS pickups, including, for instance, the Korean made Mira pickups. I'm thinking BK for the CU22.

I have to agree that the 5815 LT's are one of the best PU's - certainly for the guitars they come in. For the Vintage inspired 594, they are a perfect fit and have great clarity. I also love them in my Hollowbody ii as well and, I assume, the lower output as well as the solid (not laminate) woods doesn't cause that horrible uncontrollable feedback that some hollowbodies can suffer from with a bit of gain.

The only other 58/15 pick-ups I have are the 58/15 /MT's that have a bit more punch than the LT's but still sound great in my PRS Special. They work really well with the Narrowfield whether full or tapped. As I said above, I like the 85/15's in my Custom 24 and do agree that they offer something different. For me, I think they also suit the Cu24 and where I feel it fits within my collection. I don't know that I would want anything hotter myself but it works with how I view and feel about this guitar. I don't know exactly how I feel about the 509 Pick-ups but I don't think its possible to change them anyway. Its not that they are in anyway bad, its more that they don't exactly conjure up an image for me. By that, I can't say the Humbuckers conjure up the image of a classic Les Paul and when split, they don't conjure up the image of a 60's Strat for example. You can say they are a bit stratty or a bit LP-ish and will do the roles I bought it for - that of being more of a 'Superstrat'.

Recently replaced 53/10 set for Bare Knuckle Aftermath set on my Modern Eagle Quatro to supercharge the power, clarity, and heigh frequencies of the tone - both clean and dirty. They're the second set I tried on this guitar, and this MEQ is not my first core PRS that I changed out the stock pups.

There's nothing wrong with stock pups whatsoever. I already knew what those 53/10 were designed for prior to buying this guitar. I did this just because I like the guitar but didn't like the factory-equpped tones.

sQXcruO.jpg

Ukvwuzu.jpg

I let my friend test drive these BKP pups.

All my guitars have stock pickups 3 PRS 6 assorted they will stay that way. Nothing against swapping pickups I've done it in the past. Had 26 guitars down to 9 if I want a different sound I'll play a different guitar. Have a 408, McCarty with a Rosewood neck, S2 Singlecut Semi Hollow, G&L legacy,Fender Nashville Tele, EVH Wolfgang Special, Yamaha Revstar,Gibson Les Paul Special and a Eastman SB57/ BK. As you can see i have most of the bases covered for sounds/ pickup types.

2002 CU22 with Seymour Duncan 59/Sat Night Special set.

DGT is stock for now, but I may change them. I like a little more clarity in the neck, and a little more mids in the bridge.
I may stick some 59's in, with a magnet swap to an A2 for the bridge.

Back