Stock pickups on Core guitars

On your core guitars do you currently have the original pickups in it, or have you "upgraded"?

• Total voters
I think that may be true recently. The 85/15s seem to have been well received. The 57/08s, the DGs... I think that's when PRS pickups elevated to a class all their own. Then the things he's doing with the 408s is truly innovative.

All my opinion of course. I know there are fans of the Dragons, Dragon IIs, HFS etc... but it's not the same.

I agree with the general perspective here. The first few generations of PRS pickups were not well received in the guitar community. Most were replaced with aftermarket winder's products. The HFS/Dragon versions were much better, but modern voiced and so they also had lovers and haters. Starting with the 245's and then dramatically with the 57/08's, the market's attitude wrt PRS pickups changed. Since the 57/08, PRS is seen to be making great pickups. However, the new ones are now making inroads into the Vintage camp. If you have an interest in the modern/high gain camp, the Dragons and the HFS set are still worthy pickup sets. I like both camps and love Dragon 1's and the 57/08's. I haven't yet tried the newest generation of pickups but I will.

1 stock, 2 swapped for another PRS pup. HFS/VB over SE 85/15'S', and \m/ over US 85/15.

Everything is stock, except my Santana which I bought used and had EVH Wolfgangs already in there (and no stock pups supplied). Those sound pretty good, so I am not tempted to try to restore to factory configuration.

I'm not a pup-swapper. I quite like what PRS offers with the factory set-up. But I must admit the \m/ pups tempted me for a bit.

All original for me. In fact, I let a SC Trem go because I didn't like the #6's. Looking back I regret not swapping the pups because the rest of the guitar was pretty incredible.

Both. I have a Trampas Green CE24 that has a set of custom wound pickups from zhangbucker.com in it.

In my CE:
VB: LOVE it. Kept it.
HFS: Do not like it clean, changed for a Seymour Pearly Gates.

Ted DC 245:
I like the stock SD pickups

EG3:
I like the stock Dimarzio pickups. I've heard strat pickups I like better in an A/B, but I still dig these.

I'm both. Ce22 dragon 1s will stay and cu24 5909s will stay. All others have been swapped or will be. HFS isn't for me and Mccarty bridge didn't do it either. My cu22 that rider1260 has now sounded good though 5150 head and cab but when I switched to celestion loaded cabs it lost something.

I've got a torero that will get passive pickups and USA switching when I get some free time.

The stock 305 I have may get something. I like it but when I switch to it live I end up tweaking my amp a lot. I've thought about a P90 in the bridge. That could be cool.

I've really fallen for prs vintage style pickups and the new tubes in my 5150 sound really freakin good. I feel like I keep taking steps in the right direction for tonal bliss. It gets me excited to play.

With the exception of 2 customs I had made by a local luthier, all my name brand guitars (Hagstrom, Fender, Dean Gretsch & Epi) have original pups. Even the two customs have original pups. Every guitar has it's own sound, feel & look. That's why we all keep looking & buying. I agree with CVS. If you don't like the sound (look or or feel), sell the guitar. I wanted AN EMG active set, and a double cut away like my '64 Hagstrom (similar to a Jeff Beck Strat). I wanted a set of Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pups on a Les Paul style with a beautiful maple "11" top. They are my customs. My wife doesn't play and she can't tell one from the other. She "collects" shoes! Even I can tell the difference from on pair to the next.

Lollers -- you got the almost exact same Fralin pickups I'm interested in -- the Twangmaster, Big Single, Sunbucker, and...I forget the fourth one, might've been the Unbucker. EDIT: P-92!

Me -- mostly stock, I got rid of one Custom 24 because I just couldn't get into the 59/09 pickups, but I do plan on swapping out the HFS/VB in the one Custom 24 with maple neck from Japan that I got. But I've been extremely happy with the others I have -- 57/08, 58/15, 85/15, 513 (whatever that single coil one is called), 408 pickups. The 58/15 and 408s in particular, I will never change out. And probably not the others, except in one particular instance. (I'm thinking about putting a Benedetto B-6 in my Singlecut Archtop (!!!), but only because I love the Benedetto B-7s in my 24/7s so much.

My soon to be delivered PRS has a pair of 58/15LT bridge & neck pups; can't find much info on them except that they are supposed to wound w/ wire similar to that used in '58 Gibson Les Paul's, ...of course, with an undefined 2015 PRS twist (ergo the "/15", and the "LT" (low turn) effecting mid-range tone. What can you tell me about them. I'm in a rock & blues band. Play mostly rhythm guitar w/ a few leads. My fav pedals are compression, gain & delay. I saw one comment that they squeal. For me, sustain is key.

It's as close as he could come to the same pickup, done with modern techniques, hence the "/15".

Should be perfect for blues and rock, IMHO. I doubt they'll squeal except when you want them to -- are you any good at pinch harmonics?

Thanks for the info. Re: pinch harmonics - I only wish! - seen the technique used in videos but never was taught. Why did you ask?

It's as close as he could come to the same pickup, done with modern techniques, hence the "/15".

Should be perfect for blues and rock, IMHO. I doubt they'll squeal except when you want them to -- are you any good at pinch harmonics?
Thanks for the info. Re: pinch harmonics - I only wish! - seen the technique used in videos but never was taught. Why did you ask?

I have not had nearly enough time with any PRS to start understanding the differences from hearing them all yet.

I try to get guitar done with the possible pickups I want tot satay in that guitar. I have only switched out pickups on 3-4 guitars in my life, and was happy that I did it.

My favorite humbucking pickups in a guitar I own, which is not a PRS are Wolfetones. I like that set so much, that I would not hesitate to put them in other guitars I own that I might consider swapping out pickups in.

My soon to be delivered PRS has a pair of 58/15LT bridge & neck pups; can't find much info on them except that they are supposed to wound w/ wire similar to that used in '58 Gibson Les Paul's, ...of course, with an undefined 2015 PRS twist (ergo the "/15", and the "LT" (low turn) effecting mid-range tone. What can you tell me about them. I'm in a rock & blues band. Play mostly rhythm guitar w/ a few leads. My fav pedals are compression, gain & delay. I saw one comment that they squeal. For me, sustain is key.
If you are in a rock / blues band, you will like these pick ups - IMHO. I got rid of an 1980 LP once I got my McCarty 594 - No regrets either. Pickups sound great any way you want to use them (clean, gain etc.). Very vintage sounding at least to my ears.

If you are in a rock / blues band, you will like these pick ups - IMHO. I got rid of an 1980 LP once I got my McCarty 594 - No regrets either. Pickups sound great any way you want to use them (clean, gain etc.). Very vintage sounding at least to my ears.

Thx for the reply - encouraging; update to follow in a few days!

I have to agree. I think the LT's will suit your musical tastes quite well.

Back