Sticky 2019 CU24 poly neck ?

docteurseb

The gloss poly neck on my 2019 Core Custom 24 feels particularly plasticky/sticky compared to the 2020 Core Paul's Guitar w/ Nitro.
That's the only thing I don't like about that CU24.

Turn on the volume and listen to it (CU24 1st followed by the Paul's Guitar neck):

Is that expected and is there a fix (to make the poly one not as sticky feeling) that doesn't involve sanding to convert the gloss neck into a satin finish.

Last edited:
Wow, weird, I have a number of finished-neck guitars in poly and none of them do that.

It almost sounds like it's *too* clean. Try some polish on the finish. Something that would leave a microscopic layer of wax.

Also, that case! wow!

Interesting, this is the only PRS with gloss poly finish I have. The other ones have been satin, rosewood, or nitro.
I have a gloss polyurethane neck on a Strat I built and it doesn’t do that either.
I can certainly try some polish, should still have some around.

Crazy!

I would think polishing it would make worse... using the “new shoes-freshly-mopped-floor” scientific hypotheses.

Crazy!

I would think polishing it would make worse... using the “new shoes-freshly-mopped-floor” scientific hypotheses.
You've clearly never walked on a freshly waxed floor.

I used to be on floor waxing detail in basic in the USAF, and you had to be careful, even in combat boots on a freshly cleaned and waxed floor.

yeah man wax it. Try and find a good quality plain wax, nothing with chemicals in it. I used to use gun wax on my necks

Last edited:
Thank you all !!

Fine polishing compound from Stewmac did nothing, but I just got Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax (that's the 'pure wax' version) and it sure fixed it!
That is pretty damn slick now, might do another coat for good measure...

I shouldn't say that the finish feels sticky. With normal playing / hand pressure you don't typically hear this and I don't feel that much friction (for a gloss finish).

But after 2-3 layers of wax the feel/noise with firm hand pressure when moving the hand/finger on the finish is still the same as it was in that video.
That is the only guitar that feels/sounds that way.

I use Meguiar’s cleaner/ polish before the carnauba. I know it probably has some silicates in it, but it also has s very small amount of micro- abrasives in it. It acts like another final micro sanding to smooth everything out. The problem now is that you would have to get the Carnauba off first. That’s something that gives me pause. Anyway, when the guitar is new I use 2 coats of Meguiar’s C/P at least 24 hours apart. First string change, another coat. Next string change I hit it with the pure Carnauba. That holds me for a very long time.

Well the only thing I had put before was to clean/polish it with "Gibson Guitar Polish".
I just put that on a small area of my Strat body on the side, guess what ? That section feels like it has a bit more friction and definitely makes the same sound now, it doesn't on the area that wasn't 'cleaned' with it...

Also, it could be a placebo effect but it seems to me that even a few cleaning passes with isopropyl alcohol is able to get rid of this stuff.

Back