Sticker Shock

The hideous SE bags come in colors, so I have my guitar types coded by colors, cloaked in ugliness.

I got a good chuckle out of that. The S2/CE bag ain’t bad either. The Silver Sky bag is slightly more padded and has extra support in the bottom. I think either are fine. I still don’t understand why anybody would want a giant bag that says SE. Bag should say PRS only, not delineate the cheaper line. And if they insist on keeping it SE only than please go back to the gray version

Very simple, the gig bags all have the SE letters colored with sharpies, so I know what’s inside. My black PRS gig bags also have the letters colored in sharpies. Nothing is in a hard case. I play them, I don’t worship them. I am meticulous about cleaning, string changing, and intonation. That’s why I play PRS. I may not play fast anymore, but I’m sure as hell in tune. And I NEVER leave them out.

I like bags that have no name on them. I'm paranoid if they know, it could be a target for theft.

On topic, the bag my S2 594 came in is as nice as the SE bag the SE PG arrived in aside from the cool head stock wrap. That's a nice feature for the S2 grade.

I really want to blacken out the PRS sig, i think a "dark" stealth sig would be nice.

Finally, I hated the red bags! They were more ugly than the brown ones to my eyes.

I need coffee....

Prices are high… crazy high right now. Used prices have skyrocketed on places like Reverb and Ebay, and even CL has spiked. If I was selling, it’ would be great. I’ve been considering it just for the extra cash it would generate. If I’m buying, it’s a good time to keep my wallet in my pocket.

Yeah…At one time you would buy a PRS for 3K. If for any reason you had or wanted to sell it, you were lucky you’d get 2K for it. Out off all the guitars I have ever owned, PRS was the guitar I’d loose the most on. Also the very 1st PRS forum I ever was on, it was apparent guys use to buy PRS guitar just to tuck under the bed… more for an investment then to play. I thought they were crazy making investments in guitars. But because the PRS have gone up around $1500 it’s feasible to make money off of a used PRS. I love my McCarty (which is still almost mint), I could probably make $500 on it now. (But it was a Father’s Day gift so it will be with me until I die).

Not sure where you are getting your figures from...here's the PRS price list from 2011. Scroll to the second page for the Custom 24. $4379 for the base model and $747 for a 10-top. That's ...um...math. I know it adds up to more than $3000.

https://guitar-compare.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2011_prs_pricelist.pdf
In 2011, the PRS price list showed the MSRP price and not the MAP price. The MAP price was the price listed online by dealers. I found that the MAP price was usually about 60% of the MSRP price. I bought a new 2011 Custom 24 for just over $2600 in early 2011. I never understood why they showed such inflated MSRP prices in the price list. Sometime later PRS started using the MAP price in the price list which is the price listed online by dealers.

Back in the late '90s, I'd get a nice Artist Package PRS for about $2700. I had a few of them. I got them at around that price (or maybe a few bucks more) through the very early '00s.

Prices of everything have gone up during the 15-20 years since then.

The same car they charged 36K for in 2011 ran me close to 50K last month.

Let's put things in perspective:

My 1965 Mustang, loaded, went for under $2,800 new. I know because I was the first owner.

My 1965 SG special was $300 with case. In those days, cases cost 1/3 the value of the guitar. I still have both guitar and case.

My Fender black panel Bassman amp, separate head and 2x12 cab, went for $500. A brand new tri-level house in one of my father's subdivisions (he was a developer) ran $29,900 in a then-trendy suburb (still a nice suburb, by the way). In my grandfather's day (1930s), a similar sized house cost around $3,000. My dad paid $1800 for his then-new Buick when I was a little toddler.

Yeah. Inflation is not a new thing.

Building a castle in the Middle Ages cost between £1000 and £30 000, which is equivalent to the modern $4,000,000 to $120,000 000.

Hey, for £1000 I'd be delighted to build myself a castle!

Problem is the serfs needed to do the maintenance won't work for the mere right to till my land...

The world changes. Prices change. It's a numbers game, but a constant you can be assured of. Prices rarely go anything but up! On the other hand, earnings for all but the upper few percent haven't kept pace with inflation recently, so that's a serious problem affecting many of us. Reality bites. People get a new job, or get a raise, and their lifestyles often don't change at all.

Life sucks, and then you die. Bah!

"You should know, Les, you're almost dead."

"Not quite, pal."

"Have friends who are starting to die off?"

"Sure."

"There but for the grace of [god, luck, whatever; insert religious preference] go you, baby!"

"Never remind me of this fact. Ever."

Last edited:
Back in the late '90s, I'd get a nice Artist Package PRS for about $2700. I had a few of them. I got them at around that price (or maybe a few bucks more) through the very early '00s.

Prices of everything have gone up during the 15-20 years since then.

The same car they charged 36K for in 2011 ran me close to 50K last month.

Let's put things in perspective:

My 1965 Mustang, loaded, went for under $2,800 new. I know because I was the first owner.

My 1965 SG special was $300 with case. In those days, cases cost 1/3 the value of the guitar. I still have both guitar and case.

My Fender black panel Bassman amp, separate head and 2x12 cab, went for $500. A brand new tri-level house in one of my father's subdivisions (he was a developer) ran $29,900 in a then-trendy suburb (still a nice suburb, by the way). In my grandfather's day (1930s), a similar sized house cost around $3,000. My dad paid $1800 for his then-new Buick when I was a little toddler.

Yeah. Inflation is not a new thing.

Building a castle in the Middle Ages cost between £1000 and £30 000, which is equivalent to the modern $4,000,000 to $120,000 000.

Hey, for £1000 I'd be delighted to build myself a castle!

Problem is the serfs needed to do the maintenance won't work for the mere right to till my land...

The world changes. Prices change. It's a numbers game, but a constant you can be assured of. Prices rarely go anything but up! On the other hand, earnings for all but the upper few percent haven't kept pace with inflation recently, so that's a serious problem affecting many of us. Reality bites. People get a new job, or get a raise, and their lifestyles often don't change at all.

Life sucks, and then you die. Bah!

"You should know, Les, you're almost dead."

"Not quite, pal."

"Have friends who are starting to die off?"

"Sure."

"There but for the grace of [god, luck, whatever; insert religious preference] go you, baby!"

"Never remind me of this fact. Ever."

I do believe there was a documentary made about the Castle building bit, that you speaketh of oh Laird McSchefman!

Yep, inflation. In a different thread I documented a $1000.00 street selling price increase of PRS Core line guitars between 2011 and present day. By my assessment there was an accelerated rate of inflation between 2008 and 2016 for reasons I could put to sleep were I to cite them all.

I remember being able to buy supper from McDonald's in the late 1990's for $3.50 USD (a #1 on the menu board... Big Mac, fries and a Diet Coke). I wish more people understood how the monetary system works and the cause & effect factors that play into it all.

We think more about difficulties than easy moments. In the last year alone, the guitar market changed. More demand than the manufacturers were ready for. Material shortages and labor challenges. That’s a fine recipe for demand exceeding supply. We all know what happens then.

What’s the long-term look like? American made guitars continuing to increase in price. So many factors at play there. It’s tough to compare 20 or so years ago to today. Very different competitive environment and demand conditions. Very different supply conditions.

Some of that is easy to see. A couple of years ago, Guitar Center would have 400+ PRS used guitars in stock at any given time. Now? 130, and that is up from under 100 for most of the spring.

Who cares about the price! Pony up that cash!
Just waste it on food and gas anyway!
Hey Papa Legba - Hey Scratch! Meet us at the crossroads!
Fame and Fortune? Nay, nay, nay!
Guitars and Amps!

Who cares about the price! Pony up that cash!
Just waste it on food and gas anyway!
Hey Papa Legba - Hey Scratch! Meet us at the crossroads!
Fame and Fortune? Nay, nay, nay!
Guitars and Amps!

How about if you give me one of your extra 594's and then you go buy another one? ;)

How about if you give me one of your extra 594's and then you go buy another one? ;)

Yes it is a silly post. Or the lyrics of my new Death (to low prices) Metal song.
We sealed the deal and its time to boogie...

crossroads-1986-06.jpg

Back