Steve Fischer’s name on the stamp?

I believe every acoustic guitar has its own resonant frequency. When tuned to a certain pitch, it sounds better. Play with yours at varied ranges from A=432 to A=444. Somewhere within that range, it will sound "better" to you.
Once you get outside of those ranges, you're into a "half step down or up" and I believe you're looking at open tunings, which aren't using the same string tensions equally across the neck.
It's one of the reasons I love open and altered tunings so much. And why as a solo instrument, it's so versatile.

The traditions and strictures of internet postings require me to go on at length about this stuff until you all want to see me burned at the stake for my heresy and overall obnoxiousness (is that a word?).

I’ve spent nearly 30 years sitting and listening to nuances in audio all day as part of what I do. In fact, I was in the studio past midnight last night and half the day today...pretty typical for me.

It kind of adds up, and amounts to (probably) a decent amount of ear training.

Of course, I don’t claim better hearing than other people. I think understanding audio nuance and tone is more a matter of knowing what to listen for than having golden ears.

It’s more what’s between the ears than it is about the ears! In other words, experience is a great teacher.

It’s not about hearing what other people can’t hear. Quite the contrary, the problem is most folks don’t deeply know what to listen for.

Back