Static crackle when back of guitar rubs against me

Starling60

What is causing crackle coming throw the speaker when the cover plate brushes against my body and how do I fix this? Mccarty 594 Thinline

I have one guitar that does this so badly (not a PRS) that it's unplayable this time of year. Others don't have this problem. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the proximity of a metal control plate in a plastic guard near the pickups that gets swept across by my picking hand, but not sure.

Use a grounding strap around your wrist like is used when doing electronic component repairs

Hi,
As static electricity occurs when two non-metallic surfaces rub against each other, several things may be involved as mentioned above, if the relative humidity in your home is low this may explain the situation, also chairs with wheels, rubber soles, a woolen sweater, etc. ...

If you suspect the backplate is generating static, you can try simple things like installing a self-adhesive copper foil inside the backplate, grounding it, using the same self-adhesive copper -adhesive, just make sure the continuity is good. Cheap and easy to do.

A friend of mine had this problem with one of these guitars and he used moisturizer on his forearms and no kidding, it all went away!
Either way, find the part that charges it and ground it there!

You can also switch your picks with ones that have a rubber grip on them so you aren’t actually touching the plastic pick. That way you won’t transfer the static from your body through your pick and to the strings while you strum or pick notes.

Synthetic clothing has an electron differential and when rubbed against organic items strips the electrons and creates a static charge. Try wearing some organic cloth clothing and see if it improves. Or it could go the other way, if the guitar is finished with a synthetic coating.

My electric principle theory anyway. Or get a humidifier :)

It's winter .. it happens with my R7 Les Paul as well. I say turn up loud and play some Pat Travers tunes! .. problem solved (kinda).

Synthetic clothing has an electron differential and when rubbed against organic items strips the electrons and creates a static charge. Try wearing some organic cloth clothing and see if it improves. Or it could go the other way, if the guitar is finished with a synthetic coating.

I use humidifiers. This happens in summer as well.

Happens in summer too. I have humidifiers.

Back