Starla X P-90- let's talk about 'em

mojo1fan

I have a chance to buy a Starla X P-90 for what I think is a good price. If someone who has one could talk about it a bit I'd appreciate it.

Go For It!!!
I owned one for a short while (Loved it, but something else came along...as it often happens...LOL). However, mine had HB PUs...
I much prefer the P90's. The weight is great, the necks are great...Wonderful axe for the money!!!!

I can't comment on the X model, but Starla's are fantastic! I have the regular one with the Starla pickups (99% of the reason I wanted that model). It should be a great guitar especially if you get it for a good price. I think the X doesn't have the carve of the usual one, which to many people isn't that big of a deal.

I had a Starla stoptail. Fun guitar but in an exact opposite to Bowtie guy, I didn't like the pickups (just goes to show people are different). One with P90's would have really pushed my buttons! The X was an attempt to bring the guitar in at a lower price point so you should be getting it at prices comparable to used S2 prices. Hope you get many hours of fun from it. :)

I have a core Starla/Bigsby that's become one of my absolute favorites among a collection where it's my least expensive, it's blast to play, and surprisingly versatile. I can't imagine that the Starla X would be that different and I'm a huge P-90 fa as well, so that would seem to be a killer combination.

I was wondering about the different woods used in the construction. Is Obeche similar to mahogany? Most reviews I've seen suggest the guitar is light. I don't like guitars that are too light.

I was wondering about the different woods used in the construction. Is Obeche similar to mahogany? Most reviews I've seen suggest the guitar is light. I don't like guitars that are too light.
Obeche is much lighter than mahogany. I haven’t found a significant tonal difference between a mahogany back and an Obeche back. At least a pound lighter though.

Back