Starla Tuner Replacement

GavQuinn

Hi Guys,

One of the nice Brass posted Klusons on my Starla has let go. It’s starting to grind. Some of the others are starting to feel loose too. It’s 10 years old now, used a lot. What’s more is that the bigsby has always made the guitar body heavy, like a Les Paul. Heavier tuners would counteract that.

So with all of the above reasons, I’m planning to replace them.

Being a Core Starla, it has the thinner McCarty type headstock, so PRS locking tuners won’t do. They’re also expensive, so I’m just not going to spend the money on them. I also don’t like locking tuners really.

Can anyone recommend drop in replacements? There must be drop in replacements for Klusons that don’t require bushings or reaming. I know that there are conversion bushings for Fenders etc, if anyone with experience could chime in, it’d be appreciated.

I’ve had a look at Gotoh, their website is scant on verbal information.

I know you said you don't like the locking tuners, but just in case, check out the Mann stuff, I know the core Starlas have a Kluson type tuner, and they make a hybrid of a vintage kluson/gibson deluxe back with the PRS top locking shafts. I was eyeing them off for a Les Paul.

Yes absolutely without a doubt hands down only way to go locking klusons from mann...........do it.

Thank me later.

I put them on my Mccarty and they work very well. That's one of the first things I wanted to change when I got that guitar.

I just had to wait 12 years for somebody to make direct replacements.

I hear what y'alls sayin', but I don't need locking tuners. I've always found my guitars to be just as stable without them. Properly cut nut that's been worn in a bit and all that.

Plus they're not cheap at $120, I'd have to pay import taxes on that too.

Has anyone put schallers or something like that (sealed) on a McCarty.

I know you said you don't like the locking tuners,

It's more of a don't need. I had a Custom 22 with the locking tuners and it wasn't any more stable than my Telecaster with vintage tuners. They're simpler to me maybe, less fiddly.

That may be true BUT string changes are much quicker AND these aren't that expensive AND if you sell it later I will probably appeal to a broader audience with lockers already installed.

I have a full set of Core Starla tuners I want to get off my desk PM me I will set you up :)

Forgive my lateness of reply because I haven’t been on here much and I’m just so busy, but Rider1260 was good as his word and hooked me up with tuners.

So great to get a set, hallelujah! :) I was starting to think I’d need to go for a regular replacement, but I got a NOS set of the original tuners from Mike (Rider 1260)

It actually reminded me of how easy it is to think that the world is awful and getting worse, then someone comes along and helps you at random. It’s a great thing.

Thanks again Mike!:)

I must get a picture up!

Back