Starla S2 Vs Core Model

The truth is that the Core Starla's aren't that sought after used. A lot of people don't really get them or understand what they'd do with one. The 'it's not a Strat, it's not a Les Paul' crowd don't have the mind to approach anything like a Gretsch at the best of times.

Also I think a lot of the limited colours that they did back then in the Core model aren't great, Sparkly gold and sparkly green are a bit marmite, If I got one and it was great I'd refinish it.

There's also no question that the Core is better than the S2. The only thing that's better with the S2 is arguably the locking tuners, cos it has a trem.

There's no comparison really, the core's woods are top drawer. Mine's a featherweight, made from 3 pieces of wood only. The grain is gorgeous, it has a flame in the mahogany and it resonates and sounds amazing, where as the S2 was made to a price point.

I'm glad that they aren't sought after...means more to get in my collection for later. They didn't produce them for long...USA made...the price should be around 2-3k used in 20 years from now is my guess

The core Starla and Mira are no-compromise guitars.

Yeah, I think they're a more mature player's guitars. I view my Starla as a slightly fatter sounding SG, or a Jr with a Bigsby, almost.

I personally thought the stock pickups were good, on the face of it.. That said, when through a rig and EQ'd, I found the neck pickup was too heavy on bottom end, too bassy. So, you set the EQ to tighten the bottom end and bring out highs, right?

Then you switch to the bridge and now it's ice pick bright, lacking in bottom end fatness and compressed in the output (weak basically). You EQ for the bridge and the neck is too wooly, EQ for the neck and the bridge is too thin. There was no punch and they felt under powered compared to something like a Telecaster. To be fair, in my own experience, I felt the pickups were unfinished, I think they could have been refined further.

I've replaced the pickups in mine with Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs. They retain most of the brightness, tightened the bottom end so there's no mud at all, but there's power, thump and punch. Plus, it has that chirp in the upper mids that make it sound like a refined SG, a bit fatter and less wirey maybe. No going back for me. Every time I hear AC/DC I think; man that sound....

I also tried the Starla pickups in other guitars and they didn't work.

I'm glad that they aren't sought after...means more to get in my collection for later. They didn't produce them for long...USA made...the price should be around 2-3k used in 20 years from now is my guess

Well rare is one thing, but desirable is another.

On that note; I think they only produced 50 of the McCarty Korina..... Fifty. Makes you think when you see some dude on Craigslist with some random SG; 'they only made 5000'

Last edited:
Core any day of the week, S2 is good option for different preferences
So, quite the PRS neophyte here. I have 2 custom Tele's and an old Martin D35 BUT I played a Starla Bigsby about 12 years ago (about) at Guitar Center and the only thing that kept me from buying it was the price. Since then I have saved a few guitar-bucks and was wondering if any of the core Starlas came with the Bigsby, if so what years (or, even better, serial number range) and does anyone have one they want to sell? Thank you for your time.

I had a core Starla that was fantastic. Personally I just am not a Singlecut person. The pickups are the true gems. I had a spare set and sold them like an iditot. If my Starla would have been a double cut I would still have it.

So, quite the PRS neophyte here. I have 2 custom Tele's and an old Martin D35 BUT I played a Starla Bigsby about 12 years ago (about) at Guitar Center and the only thing that kept me from buying it was the price. Since then I have saved a few guitar-bucks and was wondering if any of the core Starlas came with the Bigsby, if so what years (or, even better, serial number range) and does anyone have one they want to sell? Thank you for your time.

Yes, the core Starla had a Bigsby version. Not sure of the years - it was only around a few years. Reverb seems to usually have a couple at a time. They just haven't had the one I want when I've looked.

The Bigsby was indeed standard on the Core Starlas - which is the reason I've never owned a Starla. I'm not personally a fan of Bigsbys, but if you are, they're out there :).

I miss my starla...I should have never sold it...I know better now...

EN2Do3F.jpg

This is why i don't post NGDs....cuz i will depress people at my buy sell rate...sometimes i sell something I really like thinking I'll just buy it again later. If I saw this guitar again I'd buy it. It was GOOOD.

Back