Starla S2 Vs Core Model

davidgold

I'm interested in picking up a PRS Starla and was wondering if the Older "Core" (I don't know if it was called that but the original ones) are "better" than the S2s. I played one of the cores a while back and it was fantastic, but I have not had a chance to try the S2.Price wise, I have found the older ones for $1000 so the price difference is not that significant. If there is not much of a difference I would most likely go with a S2 and (Satin perhaps). Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
David

Core has better electronics, Bigsby, pickups, and you get a hard case.

I'm not knocking the S2 line at all (you do get a warranty) but if I had the choice, I'd go core any day of the week. Also can't remember if the core had locking tuners or not?

My S2 is a semi-hollow Mira which wasn't available as a core, plus I prefer 22 frets to 24.

I dont think the core has locking turners, I also think it is a short scale length.

I dont think the core has locking turners, I also think it is a short scale length.

This is correct.

The Core model would still be my preference though - mainly because of the scale length and pickups. The pickups are very "Gretschy" in flavour, whereas the S2 versions are modelled on the Teisco Del Ray.

Beyond that the Core version has a more violin-like carve as opposed to a bevel. And a genuine Bigsby as opposed to a licensed version as has been pointed out.

The neck carve is also quite different - Pattern Regular on the S2 vs Wide Fat or Pattern on the Core depending on the year of mfr. "Newer" Core Starlas will also have V12 finishes.

Anyway, I've owned four Starlas in my life - two Core, one Private Stock and indeed an S2 - the smart money is in the Core. ;)

So I have narrow it down to two guitars. They are both online with a good return policy so I feel well protected. One is black with a serial of [FONT=arial, sans-serif]08140177. They said this was an 2008 model. The other one is brown with a serial of 1352003003. I am guessing this is a 2013 but I have no idea. Besides color (Im leaning towards black but brown is super classy) are their any differences to consider (neck, pickups, finish. Oh, the black one is $200 cheaper.. Thanks for all of your help,
DG
[/FONT]

The 2008 will have a 'Wide/Fat' neck carve and the 'old' PRS poly finish.
The 2013 will have a 'Pattern' neck and V12 finish.

The neck size is similar but ever-so-slightly different feeling in the hand - W/F has very marginally wider 'shoulders.'
The V12 finish is thinner, a little more like nitro but not as volatile or soft!

Other than that they are pretty much identical save for that colour - do they have the same inlays? Birds were an optional upgrade, dots were standard.

The black has birds and is $300 cheaper. I have been reading too much about guitars and I am biased toward nitro. but the black one is probably the best deal.

So I have narrow it down to two guitars. They are both online with a good return policy so I feel well protected. One is black with a serial of [FONT=arial, sans-serif]08140177. They said this was an 2008 model. The other one is brown with a serial of 1352003003. I am guessing this is a 2013 but I have no idea. Besides color (Im leaning towards black but brown is super classy) are their any differences to consider (neck, pickups, finish. Oh, the black one is $200 cheaper.. Thanks for all of your help,
DG
[/FONT]

I think the serial # of the brown one must be 13S2003003 which would make it a 2013 S2 Starla. In that case it would have a Pattern Regular neck with a 25 inch scale and the S2 finish.

I think the serial # of the brown one must be 13S2003003 which would make it a 2013 S2 Starla. In that case it would have a Pattern Regular neck with a 25 inch scale and the S2 finish.

Good spot, you're probably right!

@davidgold there will be other differences then too as I detailed in my original post above...

For $300 less I'd have the Core Starla any day of the week. I'd even have it for a little more so it seems like it could be a genuine bargain.

V12 isn't actually nitro, it uses nitro in its formulation and is very thin but it's not exactly the same.

So I pulled the trigger on the black one. Thanks for all of your help and input. It should be here at the end of the week. I"ll be sure to post some pictures when it arrives. Super excited for my first PRS!

So I picked up the guitar yesterday. I thought it had locking tuners but other than that, I could not be happier. Super light, balanced, and it sounds fantastic. Also I thought the painted neck would be sticky but it is buttery smooth. So thanks for all of your help.
IMG_0291.jpg

Beautiful, congrats!!!

I always found the use of vintage tuners a bit odd too but in practice it doesn't matter so much, tuning is pretty stable overall.

Enjoy!

Beautiful, congrats!!!

I always found the use of vintage tuners a bit odd too but in practice it doesn't matter so much, tuning is pretty stable overall.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird, but Paul talks a lot about how every part affects the sound, so they must have thought the vintage style tuners contributed to the sound they were going for. It's my only Core instrument so far so I can't compare it to the locking tuners, but I can say it stays in tune well for me. :)

I’ve played both and the Core is head and shoulders better.

It’s more resonant, sounds more detailed and deeper, feels nicer in the neck, the whole fit and finish is an improvement.

I personally don’t like glued on headstocks, so it’d be a no go for me. (I don’t care what anyone says – I just don’t like it or want it.)

I did like the longer scale and locking tuners though. Do a core in this setup and I’d be sold.

This is correct.

The Core model would still be my preference though - mainly because of the scale length and pickups. The pickups are very "Gretschy" in flavour, whereas the S2 versions are modelled on the Teisco Del Ray.

Beyond that the Core version has a more violin-like carve as opposed to a bevel. And a genuine Bigsby as opposed to a licensed version as has been pointed out.

The neck carve is also quite different - Pattern Regular on the S2 vs Wide Fat or Pattern on the Core depending on the year of mfr. "Newer" Core Starlas will also have V12 finishes.

Anyway, I've owned four Starlas in my life - two Core, one Private Stock and indeed an S2 - the smart money is in the Core. ;)

I think more importantly is the 1 piece mahogany body, mine is quartersawn, as is the 1 piece neck. The S2 will be made from pieces and likely not the best pieces they have.

Back