Starla S2 Coil Tap Question?

ShawnF1222

Hey folks, I am new to PRS and so far, loving it! I do have a technical question about coil tap.

I bought a used PRS S2 Starla off Reverb. (USA) I LOVE the guitar, but when I split the coils, it cuts power, which is expected, but the sound gets dull. I had tried a used Starla at GC and know this is not normal. I also have a Vela and it is not dull. Less power and low end, but not dull.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this something basic like a bad pot or more nefarious, like a bad pick up? Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I know it can't be diagnosed over the internet, just curious if any of you have seen this, since there is so much PRS experience lurking in here.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Shawn

I haven't played an S2 Starla, but it does sound like an actual issue. Not sure what could be causing it.

I haven't played an S2 Starla, but it does sound like an actual issue. Not sure what could be causing it.

Thank you! I was hoping with all the experienced PRS folks here, someone may have.

I reached our to PRS tech and they suggested adjusting pickups closer to strings. I did that and it did improve a little. However, once I played my Vela and pulled up on the pot, there was still magic. The Vela in split mode was almost as loud, and full. In HB mode, it was warmer and fuller. So something is happening with Starla that isn't right, unfortunately. Hard to imagine that a pot could go bad on a fairly new and mint condition guitar. Weird. The thing that stinks is I can't look at what's inside unless I pull the strings off and pull the pickguard off. I wonder if PRS has wiring examples for their guitars on line?

I reached our to PRS tech and they suggested adjusting pickups closer to strings. I did that and it did improve a little. However, once I played my Vela and pulled up on the pot, there was still magic. The Vela in split mode was almost as loud, and full. In HB mode, it was warmer and fuller. So something is happening with Starla that isn't right, unfortunately. Hard to imagine that a pot could go bad on a fairly new and mint condition guitar. Weird. The thing that stinks is I can't look at what's inside unless I pull the strings off and pull the pickguard off. I wonder if PRS has wiring examples for their guitars on line?
Yes.

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/s2_customs_standards_mira_starla_wiring_schematics.pdf

I have two S2 Starla's and neither of them has splitsounds that I could describe as dull. I dont think there's a problem with the pups. I think someone has messed with the electronics.

I just bought it, and now I have to pay to diagnose & fix. The frustrations of buying blind off Reverb.

Another thought: split the pup and tap the pole piece screws to see which are active in single coil mode. You could try bringing those pole piece screws up a little (experiment with the other side, too, to get balanced humbucker tone). I assume these pups are wax potted, so raising the screws may break the wax seal. I've never had an issue, but caveat emptor.

Another thought: split the pup and tap the pole piece screws to see which are active in single coil mode. You could try bringing those pole piece screws up a little (experiment with the other side, too, to get balanced humbucker tone). I assume these pups are wax potted, so raising the screws may break the wax seal. I've never had an issue, but caveat emptor.

Interesting idea Egads. I tried to tap pole pieces in both humbucker and split coil and there was sound no matter which coil I tapped. Then I tried that on my Vela and got the same result. Thanks for the good idea!

Wonder if a prior owner changed the pot / wiring??

Maybe? I don't see any upside to it because it isn't an improvement. Unless of course, he or she just messed stuff up in there. I really don't know, but my guess is a bad pot.

Maybe? I don't see any upside to it because it isn't an improvement. Unless of course, he or she just messed stuff up in there. I really don't know, but my guess is a bad pot.
Well, they could have swapped pickups out and then rewired to originals to sell it.

Well, they could have swapped pickups out and then rewired to originals to sell it.

Oh ****, good point. Bad thing about these is that to look under the hood, I have to take off the strings and pull the pickguard. Then, I be like WTF?

Oh and thank you for the schematics link!

Back