Starla core

BlackhawksCRNA

9BF39E54-C865-4BF4-9BC2-75F13C5B4E55_zps4vcolcwk.jpeg
Been away from PRS for a bit but picked up this like new gem today. To quote frank costanza, “I’m back, baby”..

The original Starla w/Bigsby is among the great unsung heroes of the core PRS line-up. You guys who own one know exactly what I'm talking about. It does so much so well with no bells and whistles, and has the vintage looks (and sounds!) of something born in the 60s.

No longer part of the core line, I sometimes see the originals for very fair prices and I'd highly recommend them to anyone with an interest. Mine is my least expensive PRS, but It is most definitely one of my absolute 'cold dead hands' keepers! I bought it new, and literally wouldn't sell it for twice that price.

I have been trending toward fender over the last few years, was able to get this for less than a grand. I plugged it in and it just sings. Couldn’t be more mint and all case candy. Definitely a keeper and a find!

Sweet !!! Congrats
That Red Sparkle is a great color
Thanks. When it showed up at my local shop I had no doubt I would be bringing it home. Need to Raise the action a hair as big bends are fretting out but basically it is ready to . Seems like a really good guitar.

I’ve a 2008 Starla and it’s a magic guitar. It’s the most resonant thing I’ve ever played, the only thing that vibrated more was a Collector’s Choice LP that was 6 grand.

The pickups are good, after 10 years of owning, I’d honestly like the neck to be less bassy, the bridge to have less compression, more harmonics and punch, but the voice is so pleasing.

I had a Duncan JB in it for 6 years, so it’ll do anything, but it needs a brighter pickup and a bit of a boost in output to open up that way. PAFs were dark in it, didn’t work. It has the original pickup back in now, it’s a lovely sound really bright but balances the darker timbre.

I’ve used it doing session work, all genres, and it always sounds really nice. It just sounds lovely, everyone loves the sound, it sounds like a GREAT vintage guitar, as in, basic chord progressions (G,Em, C) just sound lovely and sweet. I don’t know what’s going on there, it sounds ever so slightly flat, kind of sad or something. It's like it was just meant to sound inspiring. People who don’t play music at all like the sound, that’s not the case for any other guitar, that’s saying something. It's just got so much character.

It’s my favourite ever PRS.

Last edited:
It can sound bigger and like a mple top with a hot, bright pickup, the JB suited it really well, but compared to the regular PRSs, it's not as loud, it's twangier, but not 'narrow' like a Fender. It's a great singer's guitar.

It's actually far more usable than any other guitar, it never sounds boomy. GREAT cleans and overdrives. Bit thin for hi gain.

Back