Star Wars...

I'm tryin' to keep my expectations low to leave room for a pleasant surprise. I wasn't a fan of what JJ did to the Star Trek franchise but if he give Star Wars the same treatment, it might work out.

I'll have to check out Hollywood Palms. My girl and I started going to Studio Movie Grill (in Wheaton) and now I won't go to a theatre that doesn't serve drinks, it just makes the whole experience way more fun. We'll get a cocktail at the bar and then some grub and a pitcher with the movie... I feel so much better without eating all that popcorn and not giving a sh!t if the movie is gonna be any good.

It's a pretty cool place. Every theater has a different theme, and there's lots of old time movie kitchy stuff around. Reasonable prices, and specials. Before 5:00 was $6 for the movie ticket. Of course, food order is mandatory. I also liked that there was a counter in front of every chair, and that the chairs were conference room style. I liked being able to change positions, rotate, lock the seat back, etc. I think there's one in Woodridge too. There's also (or was) one of these type places at Yorktown.

It's a pretty cool place. Every theater has a different theme, and there's lots of old time movie kitchy stuff around. Reasonable prices, and specials. Before 5:00 was $6 for the movie ticket. Of course, food order is mandatory. I also liked that there was a counter in front of every chair, and that the chairs were conference room style. I liked being able to change positions, rotate, lock the seat back, etc. I think there's one in Woodridge too. There's also (or was) one of these type places at Yorktown.

Oh, okay... I have been to the one in Woodridge, I didn't realize they had different names for each location. I didn't really dig the chairs and table layout as much, kind of felt like having lunch in a boardroom and watching a movie. SMG has comfy movie theater style chairs with a swivel-table that I find more to my liking. We checked out the food options for the spot in Yorktown and weren't as psyched about it... They're always saying Buttermilk before/after all their foods there like, Buttermilk Pizza, Fries with Buttermilk basting, Buttermilk Kale Salad, Buttermilk Cantaloup Smoothie, Buttermilk Steak, Buttermilk Butterface..

What's Star Wars?

Can I buy this for you? :D

cDhcfZr.jpg

Reminds me of people who wear band t-shirts but probably know knotting about the band!

Only just getting around to seeing Spectre this weekend (fingers crossed) so I won't be seeing SW until after Xmas perhaps, so...

PLEASE, NO PLOT SPOILERS!!!

You know Rosebud was a sled, right? Or did you mean just no Star Wars spoilers??? I probably shouldn't mention Luke's dad...
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_river_.jpg

My singer is nuts. I knew he was crazy about Star Wars, but not this crazy. We go to the first IMAX showing tonight at 10:30pm. He's talking about going down there at like 2:30! I get wanting to go down early to see people dressed up in costumes and whatnot, but the first showing is at 7pm. Oh well, I won't be there that early. At least there's a bar.

I won't ruin the Spectre plot but it's crap IMHO. I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it.

I won't ruin the Spectre plot but it's crap IMHO. I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it.

Went to see it last Sunday.

Mmmmmmm....

Thought it was decent, particularly the first scene, but it's not a patch on Skyfawl. Not a fan of the theme tune and the credits did not fulfill the quota of nude silhouettes! Skyfall was near perfect but Spectre was lacking. Decent though. It's the ending that really bugged me though. I'll say no more...

Seems the new SW is getting good reviews...

Went to see it last Sunday.

Mmmmmmm....

Thought it was decent, particularly the first scene, but it's not a patch on Skyfawl. Not a fan of the theme tune and the credits did not fulfill the quota of nude silhouettes! Skyfall was near perfect but Spectre was lacking. Decent though. It's the ending that really bugged me though. I'll say no more...

Seems the new SW is getting good reviews...

I would agree that Skyfall set the bar pretty high. There was no way that Spectre was going to be better. Having said that, if Skyfall rated 5 stars I'd give Spectre 4. I loved all of the nods to the old films. The plot may have been a little hokey, but come on, a lot of them have been. This was by far better than anything with Roger Moore with the exception of Live And Let Die.

Saw the new Star Wars last night, Phenomenal!! Saw it in theaters in 77 as a kid and this reminded me of that! This new one is my new favorite of the seven. See it in IMAX 3D, its pretty sick!!

Ok, I can't resist. Here is the
Oops! I really haven't even seen the movie yet. I just wanted to try out the spoiler BB code. So, sue me! :)

I just re-watched IV last night ($20 on iTunes ouch!) with my girl who has never seen Star Wars before.

It was my first time seeing the remastered/enhanced/special-edition-whatevertheycallit, and I gotta say it felt a little weird. I'm not gonna comment on the usual complaints people have about all the added CGI visuals because.. whatever. This isn't a film forum. What really freaked me out was the music and sound effects!

I've realistically watched that move hundreds of times and spent much of my youth listening to it whir away on the VCR while playing with legos in front of the TV. In fact, the Star Wars album was one of the only "contemporary" albums my sister and I had to listen to (along with an album of James Bond theme songs because every 10 year old loves Shirley Bassey! So yeah, that should explain a lot about how I turned out this way.) in our culturally diverse family collection that was entirely comprised of opera (mom) and freaking show tunes (dad), so I know every musical cue by heart.

It was weird. I know John Williams had to come up with some new stuff for the added footage, but the added cues when Obi Wan was telling Luke about his father totally changed the emotional dynamics of the scene for me. Then there was some weird laser noises when the Falcon was getting hit by debris from Alderaan that sounded too "new" like they just sampled it from a Sega Genesis game circa 1990... Kind of a bummer. I loved the sound design of the original versions, when I got a MiniMoog I swear I spent the first day just making R2D2 blips and noises! Some of the new enhanced stuff seemed cheap sounding in comparison, like the ominous synth pads they added that sounded like when my cat would lay on the keys of my Korg O1w with the "Breathy Vox" factory patch turned on.

All those dorky complaints aside, my girl loved it. I was a bit surprised that it won over a 28 year old hipster/accountant who is pretty apathetic about most popular culture. We're gonna watch the other two (Empire&Jedi) before we hit the boozy theater to see the new one later this week.

Interesting stuff Serg. I've watched these movies a billion times as well. Maybe it was because I was so young seeing them or because I have a hard time retaining movie details, but that stuff just didn't affect me. When I say I don't retain movie stuff, I mean it's REALLY bad.
I just re-watched IV last night ($20 on iTunes ouch!) with my girl who has never seen Star Wars before.

It was my first time seeing the remastered/enhanced/special-edition-whatevertheycallit, and I gotta say it felt a little weird. I'm not gonna comment on the usual complaints people have about all the added CGI visuals because.. whatever. This isn't a film forum. What really freaked me out was the music and sound effects!

I've realistically watched that move hundreds of times and spent much of my youth listening to it whir away on the VCR while playing with legos in front of the TV. In fact, the Star Wars album was one of the only "contemporary" albums my sister and I had to listen to (along with an album of James Bond theme songs because every 10 year old loves Shirley Bassey! So yeah, that should explain a lot about how I turned out this way.) in our culturally diverse family collection that was entirely comprised of opera (mom) and freaking show tunes (dad), so I know every musical cue by heart.

It was weird. I know John Williams had to come up with some new stuff for the added footage, but the added cues when Obi Wan was telling Luke about his father totally changed the emotional dynamics of the scene for me. Then there was some weird laser noises when the Falcon was getting hit by debris from Alderaan that sounded too "new" like they just sampled it from a Sega Genesis game circa 1990... Kind of a bummer. I loved the sound design of the original versions, when I got a MiniMoog I swear I spent the first day just making R2D2 blips and noises! Some of the new enhanced stuff seemed cheap sounding in comparison, like the ominous synth pads they added that sounded like when my cat would lay on the keys of my Korg O1w with the "Breathy Vox" factory patch turned on.

All those dorky complaints aside, my girl loved it. I was a bit surprised that it won over a 28 year old hipster/accountant who is pretty apathetic about most popular culture. We're gonna watch the other two (Empire&Jedi) before we hit the boozy theater to see the new one later this week.

Back