Standard strings for a 2010 McCarty

Asiafish

I just purchased my first PRS, a used 2010 McCarty which should arrive next week.and want to set it up as it came from the factory. Does anyone here know which strings originally came on it?

Also, I am a very new beginning guitarist. I start learning just one-one-month-ago and really haven’t tried any different string gages yet. My other electric guitar has 9s on it (a Fender) and while I have no problem with them, I really don’t know anything else.

I have fairly large hands and adequate strength, just want what will be easiest to chord cleanly with a minimum of buzz.

If memory serves, PRS was putting 10's on guitars from the factory after 2008. If that's not right, there's not much downside to putting 9's on it, since it doesn't have a trem.

If memory serves, PRS was putting 10's on guitars from the factory after 2008. If that's not right, there's not much downside to putting 9's on it, since it doesn't have a trem.

You could be right. Mine is a 97 and had 9's according to the tag.

Try 9's since they're on your fender. They may feel more loose with the shorter scale length. If so, just move up until you're happy. After all, it is YOUR guitar and YOU have to be happy with it.

Congrats on the purchase too!

Yes. A 2010 would have shipped with 10s

As did mine from that era. They switched to heavier strings later on.

OP: The guitar will play well with either. Give 10s a try. Good chance you’ll like them on that guitar.

Try 9's since they're on your fender. They may feel more loose with the shorter scale length. If so, just move up until you're happy. After all, it is YOUR guitar and YOU have to be happy with it.

Congrats on the purchase too!
Thank you, I’m very anxious to try it.

I just purchased my first PRS, a used 2010 McCarty which should arrive next week.and want to set it up as it came from the factory. Does anyone here know which strings originally came on it?

Also, I am a very new beginning guitarist. I start learning just one-one-month-ago and really haven’t tried any different string gages yet. My other electric guitar has 9s on it (a Fender) and while I have no problem with them, I really don’t know anything else.

I have fairly large hands and adequate strength, just want what will be easiest to chord cleanly with a minimum of buzz.
That’s an awesome guitar to get at any stage, let alone beginning. I hope it inspires you to stick with playing and to push through the rough patches that every musician goes through

Congrats on a fine instrument that you can keep for the rest of your life. Make sure you take it to the best luthier you have in your area to have it set up when you get it. Then...........................................................rock on.................................................

Congrats on a fine instrument that you can keep for the rest of your life. Make sure you take it to the best luthier you have in your area to have it set up when you get it. Then...........................................................rock on.................................................
That is the plan.

Back