Standard neck profile = pattern regular?

phoenixbt

I was looking at picking up custom 24 35th anniversary edition and I emailed to find the specs. It’s listed as Mahogany neck with a Standard profile. Would this mean it’s a pattern regular?

Thanks!

There is no standard profile that I'm aware of. On a custom 24 the
"usual" profile is a "Wide/Thin", old spec, and "Pattern Thin" on the new.

Standard is a touch thinner at the nut than Wide/Fat it’s a super comfortable neck profile. I have it on my CU24 Brazilian.

Standard is a touch thinner at the nut than Wide/Fat it’s a super comfortable neck profile. I have it on my CU24 Brazilian.
Thanks! So would it be closer to pattern thin or pattern regular? The hang tag shows pattern regular, but the seller says the dealer’s specs show pattern thin so I’m confused.

I don’t like pattern regular necks from what I’ve tried in the past so I’m worried if this one will be too big.

There is no standard profile that I'm aware of. On a custom 24 the
"usual" profile is a "Wide/Thin", old spec, and "Pattern Thin" on the new.

Incorrect. There was a Standard neck option on Custom 24’s and Standard 24’s, the options for the 24-fret models were Standard or Wide Thin. 22-frets were Wide Fat or Wide Thin. I’m pretty sure, but not positive, that the Standard neck was almost identical to the Pattern Regular. The Pattern Regular feels like what I remember the Standard neck feeling like. I’ve not done a direct comparison though

There was a good post about this. I thought it was on here but it may have been on TGP. They basically renamed the old "regular" neck carve from years ago and brought it back. There is a slight difference in the nut width. The Pattern Regular has the same nut width as the DGT neck carve. Here is a page from the PRS site with the measurements of the neck profiles.

I was looking at picking up custom 24 35th anniversary edition and I emailed to find the specs. It’s listed as Mahogany neck with a Standard profile. Would this mean it’s a pattern regular?

Thanks!

Pattern was derived from the 'Wide/Fat' profile which is the 'Standard' PRS neck carve.
Pattern Thin (from the Wide/Thin' neck profile) is a thinner neck version
Pattern Regular is a narrower nut version that was the 'regular' carve that they used in the late 80's

'Pattern' refers to the fact that these necks are using a 'CNC' pattern to get the dimensions and as each of the 'older' necks were recreated as a CNC 'pattern', the Wide/Thin became 'Pattern' Thin, Wide/Fat became just Pattern as its their most common too, and Regular became Pattern Regular. Of course they also have Pattern Vintage now too - based off of Pattern, but asymmetrical...

For years, PRS offered the Cu24 in Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular neck profile with 'Pattern Thin' seemingly the more common - even their own web page on the 35th Anniversary stated it was available in both those neck carves. If I read that, I'd associate 'Standard' to mean Pattern Thin as that is the neck carve I think of as the 'standard' used on the Cu24 with the Pattern Regular being a lot less common - but that would be my own interpretation of the situation...

Incorrect. There was a Standard neck option on Custom 24’s and Standard 24’s, the options for the 24-fret models were Standard or Wide Thin. 22-frets were Wide Fat or Wide Thin. I’m pretty sure, but not positive, that the Standard neck was almost identical to the Pattern Regular. The Pattern Regular feels like what I remember the Standard neck feeling like. I’ve not done a direct comparison though
Agreed with your assessment. My 20th Anni Standard with a Standard neck carve feels very close to my S2s which are all Pattern Regular.

You might want to give the pattern regular profile a try. I thought the wide thin was all I ever needed until I played the pattern regular. Just such a comfortable carve.

You might want to give the pattern regular profile a try. I thought the wide thin was all I ever needed until I played the pattern regular. Just such a comfortable carve.
I agree with this but from a different angle. I love the wide fat neck profile. I purchased a P22 Trem and started playing that in the band I was in. I didn't pay attention to the neck profile on it. I figured it had the Pattern neck profile on it since it is a 22 fret guitar. It actually has the pattern regular neck carve on it. For me, the difference wasn't noticeable enough to me to get my attention. If you have an opportunity to try one, do it. You may be surprised.

I had a similar experience with my DGT. I thought the narrow nut would really throw me and I barely noticed it. I did notice it a bit but nowhere near as bad as I expected to.

I agree with this but from a different angle. I love the wide fat neck profile. I purchased a P22 Trem and started playing that in the band I was in. I didn't pay attention to the neck profile on it. I figured it had the Pattern neck profile on it since it is a 22 fret guitar. It actually has the pattern regular neck carve on it. For me, the difference wasn't noticeable enough to me to get my attention. If you have an opportunity to try one, do it. You may be surprised.

I had a similar experience with my DGT. I thought the narrow nut would really throw me and I barely noticed it. I did notice it a bit but nowhere near as bad as I expected to.

I have at least 1 guitar with each of the 4 'Pattern' Neck carves - Pattern (Special, HBii), Pattern Regular (509), Pattern Thin (Custom 24, Cu24 Floyd) and Pattern Vintage (DC 594, 594 HBii)

I have 'never' been a fan of 'thin and/or narrow necks' in the past but I find all 4 Pattern necks to be comfortable to play and not something I would ever worry about. If PRS released a 'new' model, regardless of what 'Pattern' neck it came with, I wouldn't be concerned or have a strong preference for a specific Carve. When it comes to switching between models, even going from Pattern Thin to Pattern Vintage (or vice versa), yes its a noticeable difference, but it takes me much longer to adjust to the different layout than the different neck shape. The amount of times I go switch Pick-ups and there is no switch/blade where I am fumbling, I very quickly forget that the neck is different...

I know some people are exceptionally sensitive to the shape and size of the neck, the radius of the fretboard etc that even a slight difference can affect them. I tend to have a 'range' of neck shapes, range of fretboard radii etc that I find comfortable to play for any length of time. 20" flat fretboards with 'Wizard' thin necks are outside my range for example but the Pattern necks by PRS are all in my Range.

As said, Pattern Regular is perhaps the closest today to an original PRS Cu24 - which is perhaps why they offered the Cu24 with Pattern Thin and Pattern Regular options - inc the 35th Anniversary Cu24 which was the Guitar in question by the OP. Its unlikely to have the Wide/Fat or Pattern, and definitely won't have a Pattern Vintage neck - so its either going to be slightly thicker, but slightly narrower (42mm) at the nut, vs slightly thinner but wider at the nut (nearly 43mm) so when you decide to 'try/buy', you can tell which neck its likely to be based on nut width.

I have at least 1 guitar with each of the 4 'Pattern' Neck carves - Pattern (Special, HBii), Pattern Regular (509), Pattern Thin (Custom 24, Cu24 Floyd) and Pattern Vintage (DC 594, 594 HBii)

I have 'never' been a fan of 'thin and/or narrow necks' in the past but I find all 4 Pattern necks to be comfortable to play and not something I would ever worry about. If PRS released a 'new' model, regardless of what 'Pattern' neck it came with, I wouldn't be concerned or have a strong preference for a specific Carve. When it comes to switching between models, even going from Pattern Thin to Pattern Vintage (or vice versa), yes its a noticeable difference, but it takes me much longer to adjust to the different layout than the different neck shape. The amount of times I go switch Pick-ups and there is no switch/blade where I am fumbling, I very quickly forget that the neck is different...

I know some people are exceptionally sensitive to the shape and size of the neck, the radius of the fretboard etc that even a slight difference can affect them. I tend to have a 'range' of neck shapes, range of fretboard radii etc that I find comfortable to play for any length of time. 20" flat fretboards with 'Wizard' thin necks are outside my range for example but the Pattern necks by PRS are all in my Range.

As said, Pattern Regular is perhaps the closest today to an original PRS Cu24 - which is perhaps why they offered the Cu24 with Pattern Thin and Pattern Regular options - inc the 35th Anniversary Cu24 which was the Guitar in question by the OP. Its unlikely to have the Wide/Fat or Pattern, and definitely won't have a Pattern Vintage neck - so its either going to be slightly thicker, but slightly narrower (42mm) at the nut, vs slightly thinner but wider at the nut (nearly 43mm) so when you decide to 'try/buy', you can tell which neck its likely to be based on nut width.
I have a wide range of the PRS neck profiles as well. The ones I have are Wide Fat, Wide Thin, Pattern, Pattern Regular, Pattern Vintage and DGT. There was more variation in the profiles before the "pattern" designation.

The one I am the least fond of is the Wide Thin. I have played the guitar with no issues but just gravitate to the heavier necks. I have a couple of really chunky Wide Fat necks. I notice those when I first pick them up but quickly adjust.

Thanks all! This is really helpful and has turned into a great discussion :) So I have a 594, SSH, and a DGT currently - the pattern and DGT neck are both great and I love them, but the pattern vintage on the 594 has been bothering my wrists a bit lately. So when looking at the CU24, I was wanting to get something with a similar nut width to the SSH or 594, but a smaller neck. I was leaning towards the pattern thin due to this (I don't want something too thin), but I was thinking the thin would be easier on the wrists like my other ones. It sounds like the regular might still be a good choice here? I wish I could play both versions in a store, but can't make it out to one right now to do that

Back