Standard 22 Re-finished?

blncsphr

Hey everyone. Was just after some guidance as I've been looking at this 2nd hand 2002 Standard 22 - the guy says that he thinks it could have been sanded down from a platinum sparkle due to the silver paint in the control cavities, but he's not sure.
This may be a make or break for me, if it's been completely stripped to bare wood then it also means that the headstock logo and serial number has been added after the fact by the previous owner.. To me that takes some of the value away. I suspect this has been tinkered with since the wiring looks messy, I've never owned a PRS but surely that can't be how it originally was from the factory.
Basically, please give me info on this thing (or other standard 22's from the time): Did they come in a natural mahogany? Did PRS use silver paint in the control cavities for some reason? Etc. I know very little about PRS regarding this kind of stuff, so anything would be helpful on deciding whether to buy or avoid it, including personal opinion.

Thank you very much. -B
241410232_561501354994768_609412324777624138_n.jpg
241502283_565297908012910_3043101051409759848_n.jpg
241490061_1017107082398743_7851183382666533982_n.jpg
241180633_404771944350365_2871814577188049345_n.jpg
241175527_332978925232066_2291691911733417984_n.jpg
241415199_194167456115951_3652043125587845323_n.jpg
241538001_279733360291185_1632231028258066190_n.jpg
241356502_4252933434801064_2564804459994310252_n.jpg

That's really helpful, thanks guys. Definitely makes me feel a little better about it! I'll let some more replies roll in just to hopefully 100% confirm it and then I'll probably take the plunge. Cheers again fellas!

I would add, too, that any platinum-metallic painted (standard) PRS guitars that I've ever seen had that same color on the front AND back of the headstock, too. Which means that if this guitar had been stripped/re-finished, then it would've removed the PRS logo on the front, and also the serial # on the back--which in this case, clearly neither were harmed.

Hold up! That looks wrong in several ways. I am thinking the seller could be right about it being a refin.

The SN writing looks off. Occasionally you'll see a sloppy one, but not THAT sloppy.

It appears to be satin? PRS didn't do a satin finish in 2002. They did offer natural finish, but it would've been a gloss clear coat.

The paint in the cavities does seem like it may be shielding paint in the pictures, BUT -- PRS would not have painted the tremolo cavity because shielding paint has no purpose there. It's possible a previous owner painted in there, but I'm leery. Would need better pics or to see in person, but it does look reminiscent of Platinum.

I want to see a straight ahead pic of the headstock, as I'm not convinced the horns are right.

The wiring is really terrible. It likely would have come with the 5-way rotary switch, so someone probably rewired it. Also, that bare spot of wood around the switch looks like someone removed some wood there.

I see enough there to walk away unless it's ridiculously cheap and you want a beater. The way to REALLY find out how it came from the factory is to email the SN to PRS or remove the bridge pickup and check the label/writing at the bottom of the rout.

Hold up! That looks wrong in several ways. I am thinking the seller could be right about it being a refin.

The SN writing looks off. Occasionally you'll see a sloppy one, but not THAT sloppy.

It appears to be satin? PRS didn't do a satin finish in 2002. They did offer natural finish, but it would've been a gloss clear coat.

The paint in the cavities does seem like it may be shielding paint in the pictures, BUT -- PRS would not have painted the tremolo cavity because shielding paint has no purpose there. It's possible a previous owner painted in there, but I'm leery. Would need better pics or to see in person, but it does look reminiscent of Platinum.

I want to see a straight ahead pic of the headstock, as I'm not convinced the horns are right.

The wiring is really terrible. It likely would have come with the 5-way rotary switch, so someone probably rewired it. Also, that bare spot of wood around the switch looks like someone removed some wood there.

I see enough there to walk away unless it's ridiculously cheap and you want a beater. The way to REALLY find out how it came from the factory is to email the SN to PRS or remove the bridge pickup and check the label/writing at the bottom of the rout.
Ahhh that all makes sense to be honest.. Doh! Thanks for all that insight though Garrett, funnily enough I just received a message back from customer service confirming that it would have started life as a Platinum Metallic..
This in turn explains the dodgy looking serial number, wiring etc. I'll speak the the fellow and ask if I can get a clear headstock picture for you and post it here soon :) FYI this is available to me at £1075 (approx. $1460), which I think is a very decent price, at least for PRS guitars over here in England, but I may pass this one unless that's a better deal than I realise. I don't particularly want my first Paul to come with any disappointments if I'm honest.
Thank you to everyone above for your replies and general intrigue! This is my first post so really appreciate all the help :)

That was probably a pain the arse removing all that finish. Actually looks prettty good in the pics

Just curious what the going price is for a decent Standard 22 in England?

That was probably a pain the arse removing all that finish. Actually looks prettty good in the pics

Just curious what the going price is for a decent Standard 22 in England?
Indeed, convincing enough to almost fool me in the end! I can only find one other one listed but it's from America, either way - that would mean shipping costs increase the price. It's listed at £1300-ish (US 1767) I think, plus another $230 to have it flown over here. I believe I also saw one going for around £1800-$2400 but that was one of the very questionable looking Corvette special editions, not indicative of the value of a regular Standard 22 I'd assume.

If the frets were good and you think that it is the one, offer 100 less and mention your possible "concern" about possible resale value down the road due to being refinished and possible serial number being rewritten.

I will be the first to admit, I complain about certain stuff about guitars in general, but truly underestimate how lucky we have it in the States as far as supply, prices and cheap(er) shipping.

If you like it, get it for a good price (whatever YOU are happy with) and play it. Later down the road, sell it for something better or different.

It could be refinished from Platinum Silver.

But given the date of the guitar, the remaining shape of the contours, the fact they got a real metal foil logo sticker, and the signature maybe being slightly questionable…

It’s totally worth it for $900-1100 dollars (US). The W/T neck would be my only dealbreaker.

Hey everyone, thanks for the above replies!! I've decided to pass on this one for now - however I've got some juicy developments as to how things went down between me and the seller... Turns out he was a total prat!! I'll leave these here for your reading...

Back