Stage Sound

pima651

Hello all. I've been playing guitar for quit a while but haven't played out much. I'm playing in our church, it does rock out for the first 45 minutes or so. We have a full band with drums, keys, bass, acoustic and electric guitar. Our sound system is outdated and the vocals, keys and acoustic are all that really go through the sound board. Here's my dilemma... My rig sounds great in my home office with wood floors, but once I get into the big open room, it sucks big time. I have no clue how to dial it in. I have tried boosting the mids and bass as it sounds rather tinny, but that does not help at all. I have tried to tweak the GT 10 but that just muddy's it up. I'm playing my Custom 24 through the GT 10 straight into my Framus Ruby Riot on the clean channel. I have the amp voIume set at about 4 out of 10 and the GT 10 output at about 4 also. I have tried boosting the output on the GT 10 and bringing down the amp and vice versa, but just can't get it right. I have tried running the GT 10 through the effects loop of the amp but the distorted settings really sound terrible. I always show up early so I can try to play around with the settings and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong,

Any suggestions??

Thanks.....

Hi Pima651

Not sure if this helps you. I also run a Boss GT10 on stage and after much experiment now gig with the following set up with the GT10. I run Left and Right lines out from the GT10 to the desk either to a stereo channel or to two mono channels (you may not have this option open to you depending on the desk space available to you). I run a Marshall amp on stage on a very clean setting and feed the frontend of the amp with the headphone line out from the GT10. The Marshall really just becomes a backline monitor for stage volume and gives a very accurate reproduction of what's going out to FOH. I get the same mix back through my stage monitor anyway. I could really bypass using the amp but I do like the backline thump, feedback etc.
I like the GT10 because doing covers it gives me the tonal variety but having said that I make my own patches to suit.
I do find some changes in tone/volume from home use to gig use so I save the patches in two banks, one for home volumes, one for gig volumes, ie: banks 1 through to 20 set for home then copied to banks 21 to 40 tweaked for gig levels.
I also run some pedals in front of the GT10, couple of different drives, chorus and sustainer to add to patch when and where needed. I have controls 1 and 2 set for delay and boost and a tuner select on control 3 output. Add the guitar pickup selector, volume and tone controls and you have a lot of variety. Not all valve for the purists but if it works it works.
I tend to pull the Mids out a bit as well which gives a nice fat punch, especially on my PRS's.
Hope this gives you some ideas or solutions.

Cheers

You're very lucky to live so close to Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. As a Phoenician I only wish there was such a righteous dealer anywhere in this metro area.

That said, if you could post sound clips, that would go a million miles beyond what any description could provide.

Thanks guys! I will play out for the first time with the new Archon on June 8th. I will try to get a recording of it, but it will be from my cell phone as we aren't really set up to record. Thanks for all the advice Wal, so far I'm really liking the difference in the Archon and am hoping that it will resolve some of my issues. I'm even considering going back to stomp boxes and not using the GT10 on stage. So, we'll see how the 8th goes!

Thanks again guys!!!

You're very lucky to live so close to Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. As a Phoenician I only wish there was such a righteous dealer anywhere in this metro area.

There isn't a decent guitar store the the "Center of the Universe"? lol, thats what the Tucsonans call Phoenix. I just got back from L.A. visiting some family and went to Norman's Vintage Guitars in Tarzana, Wow is all I can say! If your ever in the L.A. area, I highly recommend stopping in there!

Well, uh... I try to avoid the L.A. area. I went there a bunch back in my touring days and saw a lot of... "interesting" things that mods would likely delete from my post. Not that we were playing the nice parts of town or anything, but it's the armpit of the West Coast! (The coastline is even shaped a little bit like an armpit)

Back