SS frets!

If I hit the car window, can I keep the guitars?

b394ed5735b3382cbd30390c6121d1e8.jpg

:p:p

But I don’t have any SS fret guitars…because…well PRS refuses to use them just to make me miserable.
You know, I did refret an LP with them once. I sorta liked how they felt, but it wasnt life changing or anything. My tools were totally f'ed up tho. I will never do a refret job with them again.

Just to muddy the waters more………
Well, and then there’s the great compromise EVO Gold frets made by Jescar… real long lasting. Harder than nickel Dunlops, softer than SS.. They sound more like nickel but last almost as long as SS.. Eastman uses them…..
. I used the Jescar EVO on my Swaim Guitar Works handmade Korina/maple top Les Paul . I played that guitar a lot and didn’t want to refret but then I bought my DGT and then that all changed..LOL……

Last edited:
I played a Telecaster for a long time. On average, I had to take it in about once a year to give the frets a good going over. At one point I had to have 12 of the frets replaced.

Mr. Smith said they use nickel frets that are made as hard as their manufacturer is willing to make them. I bought my Vela this past December and play it at least 2 hours a day. I'm hoping Mr. Smith is right when he said these frets should last for years.

I played a Telecaster for a long time. On average, I had to take it in about once a year to give the frets a good going over. At one point I had to have 12 of the frets replaced.

Mr. Smith said they use nickel frets that are made as hard as their manufacturer is willing to make them. I bought my Vela this past December and play it at least 2 hours a day. I'm hoping Mr. Smith is right when he said these frets should last for years.

I can believe the frets are harder than usual german silver ones. I string with 11's, I have a monkey grip and I like agresive fast vibratos. I usually use up frets fairly fast. All my Fenders had groove after a year while my Custom shows non of it. I also have over 20 years old PRS used by touring and london studio musician and same story, no grooves, heathy frets up and down. I care non for SS frets

Well, and then there’s the great compromise Gold frets made by Jescar… real long lasting. Harder than nickel Dunlops, a bit softer than SS.. They sound like nickel but last almost as long as SS..
. I use the Jescar Golds on my Corsa and Swaim Guitar Works handmade Les Pauls.. sort of the best of both worlds.. My Luther (haha) does hate installing them. You can buy them precut/pre radiused from Philadelphia Luthier Supplies

My luthier friend has just done a re-fret on a Mandolin using something similar and he was commenting (complaining) that his usual tools were struggling.

Back