SS frets!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 316ms, Jul 17, 2021.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

100% agree

dogrocketp likes this.
  2. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

He's a Luthor, not a Luther. Unless you mean the wrestler.

dogrocketp, bodia and Ovibos like this.
  3. Tosca

Tosca Zombie 10, DFZ

If only attitudes were as easy to change as frets.

4. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

You're a good sLuther!

dogrocketp, Tosca, bodia and 5 others like this.
  5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, and it's great that you like the SS frets!

One has to consider that tone controls also affect frequencies that may or may not be desirable to mess with in any given tone control. So yes, you can easily roll off unwanted high frequencies. The question is whether you're also rolling off some frequencies you wish to retain, and every EQ on every amp or processor sounds a little bit different owing to different turnover points, frequencies and Q affected, etc.

This is where guitar and pickup choice does matter quite a bit, and to a much smaller extent, fret material.

For most folks, I suspect that this is a much smaller issue than it is for others. For me, it matters. For you, less so.

But it's certainly not a myth - you can easily hear it.

Frank McNerney likes this.
  6. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Amen to that!

Were it so, we’d fret less over the minutiae.

Frank McNerney, dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  7. Screamingdaisy

Agreed.

What I don’t understand however is why some people seem to take it so personally that PRS doesn’t want to use SS frets? I have opinions about things too, doesn’t mean I go out of my way to try to prove him wrong.

8. jimfisher

jimfisher Guitar Geezer

9. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

A Luthier named Luther...is that like a Dentist named Crentist?

dogrocketp likes this.
  10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Yes!

Whatever Paul Smith's opinions on tone or fret materials may be, the guitars are proof of concept. He's done well. He's not gonna make everyone happy. I'd bet he's OK with that.

11. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

100 % make a guitar work for you , if SS frets take a guitar from 90 to 100% for the player then do it. no different from sanding the neck , replacing wiring , pickups , bridges.

SinSir, dogrocketp, bodia and 3 others like this.
  12. CrimesAgainstMusic

CrimesAgainstMusic New Member

Maybe You Tube must be the "great equalizer" in sound tests, due to the loss of fidelityfrom in not "being in the room" does to what we hear on the internet (?) :)

Anyway, I like what the Warmoth guy says about the difference. To him, its more a "feel" thing, as opposed to a "hear" thing . I don't know, because I'm pretty sure all the guitars I own (and have messed with) probably are nickel-silver). AND I'm not the level of player that could probably benefit from the "feel" of SS ...

If SS frets wee to add greatly to the cost of a guitar, I would pass on it, not because it isn't "better" its just that I don't think the cost of the feature would benefit me. ...

In the Warmoth vid, the only time I though I could hear a real difference was at the Bridge P/U Clean .... and I thought the SS was #1 ... Wrong ! ;)

13. Huggy B

Huggy B Space is the place

I really don't have to do too much rolling off highs to do what I have to do, I just still feel the tone debate on this grossly overblown. I switch between SS & Nickel frets almost daily and I'm pretty aware of the difference, and although it may not be a myth, it's not easy to hear.

It's not like you can hear a guitar recording and tell it's SS. Only way is to do a side by side comparison on the same amp.

bodia likes this.
  14. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

Another option is to use softer strings, right?

Steel strings might chew into nickel frets more than nickel strings.

DreamTheaterRules and bodia like this.
  15. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I think you’ll find that’s the Dentist named Dentst!;)

16. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

The wrestler was Lex Luger. C'mon man!:p

17. Drew

Drew New Member

Some people here are talking of slight perceptions in the change of frequencies. Of those people, how many have bought a PRS that has a an ebony fretboard, cocobolo fretboard, rosewood neck, maple neck, ash back, or a private stock with some really weird combination of non-traditional woods? Each and every one of those alters the voice of an instrument in a greater way than going from standard to stainless frets do. But, people aren't speaking up against PRS with roasted flame maple necks and the extra snappiness. Speaking of Paul, he talks of using frets he believes sounds the best and that needs to be some static thing, yet releases guitars out of the factory with all the previous iterations I mentioned and more. Paul doesn't use stainless because he knows he can sell guitars to his fanbase just fine without having them on the guitars. Music Man uses stainless on everything now, because their particular players not only demand it, they expect it. It's that simple. You gauge your base and proceed accordingly. The tide, however, is definitely changing.

Forget everything else mentioned in this thread. Stainless steel frets are a peace of mind thing when you buy a heirloom quality instrument. It's peace of mind that you don't have to bring it to a tech in 10 to 20 years for a fret job and the possibility that person may damage the neck.

18. Simon Says

Simon Says New Member

Just buy yourself a Music Man and leave us - a PRS sheep's alone

19. Drew

Drew New Member

I just bought one actually, a Petrucci 20th anniversary. I love ALL guitars. I don't swear loyalty to one brand because I'd be cutting out 95% of my potential possibilities to play great instruments.

20. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Jake

I'm still waiting for Tungsten carbide frets.