SRV Tone

GuitarAddict

I was watching a live video of SRV yesterday with my 6month old son (He absolutely loves guitar music) and noticed that SRV was constantly adjusting the tone knob depending on what pickup he was using, turning it down a bit for neck and middle and back to wide open for position 2 and 4. This made me think he perhaps had his amps set up bright for his fantastic tone. My Gremlin amp only has volume and tone but cranking the tone up to three quarters gives a very bright trebly sound. The silver sky sounds very SRV like on the in between positions with the amp set like this, more so with the 10 inch cab i use as the stock speaker is too loud for my small music bunker. I seem to remember reading that SRV used 10 inch speakers.
I have to adjust the tone knob a bit for other pick up positions but it’s worth it to get a bit closer to ‘that’ tone.
I’m sure there’ll be replies saying that I’m the last person to find this trick out but just in case anyone else doesn’t know, now you do. Give it a try.

Naaaaaaaaaaa, No one should complain about another "trick" for their tool boxes...thank you for sharing.
I saw Steve Morse do a Clinic years ago and was amazed at how often he switches pickups, as he moves up and down the neck.
(Effortlessly, I might add...)

There are a ton of SRV tips-n-tricks out there to get his sound on lower volume gear. A good TS-9/808 can goose a Deluxe into Super Reverb territory, for example. But beating the snot out of your guitar seems to do the best job, I’ve found.

Steve Morse is one on my all time heros. Thought he was 7’ tall only to be proven otherwise when I stood next to him at NAMM. He’s still 7’ tall to me.

The Tubescreamer was a major part of SRV. They are great! Its only a part of the puzzle. Neck pickup tone down and TS gain up, heaven!

Watch Hendrix at Woodstock. Another control twisting display!

There are a ton of SRV tips-n-tricks out there to get his sound on lower volume gear. A good TS-9/808 can goose a Deluxe into Super Reverb territory, for example. But beating the snot out of your guitar seems to do the best job, I’ve found.

Steve Morse is one on my all time heros. Thought he was 7’ tall only to be proven otherwise when I stood next to him at NAMM. He’s still 7’ tall to me.
I love Morse. I really think he adds a lot to Deep Purple.

Did a lot of reading on SRV. His amps were always fully cranked across the amp. His power tubes were biased really really hot, like 55 to 60. Dld not last long, but it was his thing. Ceasar and Rene carried lots of tubes, as they were always needing to be changed. He used his guitar controls to clean up or adjust pup selection.

I can attest to that! I saw him in 1989 (with Satch opening for him) and my ears are still ringing! :eek: The stage volume was absolutely insane!!
I can verify. Front row with Johnny Copeland as the opener. Had to be ‘85 or ‘86. Mind totally exploded. First of 5 times, including the night he died.

The Tubescreamer was a major part of SRV. They are great! Its only a part of the puzzle. Neck pickup tone down and TS gain up, heaven!

Watch Hendrix at Woodstock. Another control twisting display!

I've always been under the impression for SRV the TS gain is low (9 oclock.or so) and the volume is maxed.

Back