Spraying / Painting Techniques

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Although my skills are limited in this regard, some have stated that they have been able to spray paint whatever finish or color they select, followed by a coat of some type of sealant.

Although I've no personal projects lined up, I will soon have a small furniture project which will require stripping, sanding and spraying or brushing on a poly seal.

I think I've got the strip/sanding part down well. And likely will try brushing on a poly coat several times, lightly sanding with ultra fine grit between coats.

What techniques might you use to help facilitate ventilation and drying?

I know poly can be tricky if it's dusty when drying and sanding too much between layers makes witness lines.

I'd guess it's best practice to sand the first coat with tack cloth to remove any wood and brush stubble, then apply additional coats with perhaps a much finer grit after the 2nd coat. 3rd and 4th coats for a thicker, deeper finish. I think my guitar hanger board had 5 to 6 coats of poly, and soaked it all in. Still looks good from where I sit.

I think my guitar hanger board had 5 to 6 coats of poly, and soaked it all in.

Yeah you'd probably want a compatible poly sealer so this doesn't happen again. Not that it's bad but it takes forever to build a level surface and sealer is usually cheaper than the top coat.

Heey I'm planning to draw on my guitar as well! are acrylics okay, or not? If not, what kind of paint should I be using? And will it kill my guitar's sound in any way? And I'm not repainting on my guitar btw, it's gonna be some design painted on it. would that be okay? :/

Yeah you'd probably want a compatible poly sealer so this doesn't happen again. Not that it's bad but it takes forever to build a level surface and sealer is usually cheaper than the top coat.

The guitar hanger board actually looks nice! The reason the wood soaked it all in was because the wood had been sitting in my basement for some years in storage, and was drier than a bone. The extra coats of MinWax poly back then plus sanding did a really decent job. Shiny and nicely polished look.

I think I've got a new quart of MinWax stashed away somewhere, as well as some paint stripper to remove the furniture base coat. What brand sealer might you suggest, if MinWax wouldn't do it?

Heey I'm planning to draw on my guitar as well! are acrylics okay, or not? If not, what kind of paint should I be using? And will it kill my guitar's sound in any way? And I'm not repainting on my guitar btw, it's gonna be some design painted on it. would that be okay? :/

I might not suggest drawing or adding any paint to your guitar, but merely add some water-soluble appliqué decals. Someone else will suggest how to keep the decals in good shape. Me, just trying to keep my sense of humor for the interim. Plz don't hit me with a doctor's hammer.

With solvents it’s always good to remember that “airflow” and not heat is the answer to drying. Although warm dry air is preferred, just make sure it’s moving

With solvents it’s always good to remember that “airflow” and not heat is the answer to drying. Although warm dry air is preferred, just make sure it’s moving

Well, it makes sense to place a fan in front of wet paint in order to allow it to dry easier. I own a heated room fan myself. Perhaps I can dial the temperature back a little for reduced temperature airflow. And I'd guess the same goes for other things as well, but prefer to keep silent regards these.

Perhaps next week while I have some time off from work, the project can come to fruition. We'll see.

Last edited:
The guitar hanger board actually looks nice! The reason the wood soaked it all in was because the wood had been sitting in my basement for some years in storage, and was drier than a bone. The extra coats of MinWax poly back then plus sanding did a really decent job. Shiny and nicely polished look.

I think I've got a new quart of MinWax stashed away somewhere, as well as some paint stripper to remove the furniture base coat. What brand sealer might you suggest, if MinWax wouldn't do it?

I'm not really sure about the sealer. I've really only used shellac as a sealer which probably takes longer than a sealer.

And the shellac will eventually shrink back into the grain with the nitro I used as top coats so some guitars I have that are less than a year old I finished that way look considerably older.

I'm not really sure about the sealer. I've really only used shellac as a sealer which probably takes longer than a sealer.

And the shellac will eventually shrink back into the grain with the nitro I used as top coats so some guitars I have that are less than a year old I finished that way look considerably older.

The finish is a polyurethane blend MixWax, standard sealer you might find in a home improvement store. It's for a side chest table that has some old coffee mug stains on the old finish on the upper surface from where the drink coaster wasn't. Normally where my light and alarm clock are. Not exactly a nightstand. A place to set aside the day's cares, in essence.

The guitar hanger used the same type of MinWax, with perhaps a light stain prior to receiving the MinWax. I think the side table looks good color-wise, so just the MinWax...will try to find a pleasant day to sand and seal, then allow to dry. Pics once the project is completed.

The finish is a polyurethane blend MixWax, standard sealer you might find in a home improvement store. It's for a side chest table that has some old coffee mug stains on the old finish on the upper surface from where the drink coaster wasn't. Normally where my light and alarm clock are. Not exactly a nightstand. A place to set aside the day's cares, in essence.

The guitar hanger used the same type of MinWax, with perhaps a light stain prior to receiving the MinWax. I think the side table looks good color-wise, so just the MinWax...will try to find a pleasant day to sand and seal, then allow to dry. Pics once the project is completed.

That sounds like it should be fine and a relatively easy project.

That sounds like it should be fine and a relatively easy project.

Normally, this would be a simple garage workshop project. Realizing that I don't own a garage or the like complicates matters slightly.

The project will likely need be done either on my front porch (recessed and shaded in the afternoon), or on the back patio (shaded during the morning, protected from breezes and dust).

I'm inclined to think that the patio might be the wise choice, and perhaps let the table dry without a fan. The outdoor air will be moving anyway, and no real worries about dust or sand. Next week the weather might be agreeable; will find some time perhaps Thursday through Saturday, hopefully.

Although my skills are limited in this regard, some have stated that they have been able to spray paint whatever finish or color they select, followed by a coat of some type of sealant.

Although I've no personal projects lined up, I will soon have a small furniture project which will require stripping, sanding and spraying or brushing on a poly seal.

I think I've got the strip/sanding part down well. And likely will try brushing on a poly coat several times, lightly sanding with ultra fine grit between coats.

What techniques might you use to help facilitate ventilation and drying?

I find brushing on poly to be very difficult to do well. Poly is terrible at retaining air bubbles, and when you use a brush it's near impossible to avoid them. Soaking the brush is mandatory. You can wipe on poly, even if it says 'brush on.' But my best experience has been quality spray cans - meaning cans with quality nozzles.

Light coats of spray-on poly (in my experience) go on more evenly, trap less air bubbles, dry quickly, and require less sanding between coats.

I really like the Deft products. I've just been blown away with how easy they are to use and how good the results have been.

I find brushing on poly to be very difficult to do well. Poly is terrible at retaining air bubbles, and when you use a brush it's near impossible to avoid them. Soaking the brush is mandatory. You can wipe on poly, even if it says 'brush on.' But my best experience has been quality spray cans - meaning cans with quality nozzles.

Light coats of spray-on poly (in my experience) go on more evenly, trap less air bubbles, dry quickly, and require less sanding between coats.

I really like the Deft products. I've just been blown away with how easy they are to use and how good the results have been.

I'd tend to agree here. Brushing will incur streaks and bubbles. Tuesday I've got a Zoom evening meeting, and will have Thursday/Friday open for projects. My boss gave me some time off until 2nd week April for some personal time and observances, as well as time for some workshop / home improvement projects.

Will check Home Depot for Deft if they carry the product, or my local hardware later this week.

Thanks for the heads-up regards Deft. How many spray cans for a small chest of drawers 28"x19"x17", drawers removed and sprayed separately? No interior or reverse side spray necessary? 2 or 3? And how about extra spray coats?

I would say 3. It says 60 ft2 per can, your cabinet is 62 ft2, and they recommend 3 coats. You might get away with 2. I've found the coverage to be pretty accurate, at least as much as stated on the can, and also found 3 coats to be perfect. My experience has been that the first coat is always sealed enough for handling, but not always 100% resistant to bleed through if you wipe it with something. The second coat is then fully sealed and the third is like a protection coat.

I have the satin finish. At the right angle there's a nice mellow luster, at other angles its invisible.

PLEASE HAVE PROPER VENTILATION AND WEAR AN APPROPRIATE, PROPERLY FITTING RESPIRATOR!!!!!!
I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, but never experienced such potent fumes as what comes out of that can. An inexpensive "paint respirator" and proper ventilation is mandatory.

I'm just one data point. There are other products that people have had good luck with. I particularly hate finishing and am just amazed, every time, at how easy and fast it is to achieve perfection with this stuff, so I'm excited to share about it.

Oh, dear. How expensive are these paint respirator masks? Hoping to find several cans of nice semigloss and work outdoors in the shade on a moderately warm afternoon, perhaps 2. Will check Home Depot sometime this week.

Thanks for the heads up again the masks; it might have possible to use just a couple of surgical masks, but realized that these will not filter paint fumes well.

If it filters garlic breath, I'll count this as a plus...:)

I would say 3. It says 60 ft2 per can, your cabinet is 62 ft2, and they recommend 3 coats. You might get away with 2. I've found the coverage to be pretty accurate, at least as much as stated on the can, and also found 3 coats to be perfect. My experience has been that the first coat is always sealed enough for handling, but not always 100% resistant to bleed through if you wipe it with something. The second coat is then fully sealed and the third is like a protection coat.

I have the satin finish. At the right angle there's a nice mellow luster, at other angles its invisible.

PLEASE HAVE PROPER VENTILATION AND WEAR AN APPROPRIATE, PROPERLY FITTING RESPIRATOR!!!!!!
I've done a lot of dumb things in my life, but never experienced such potent fumes as what comes out of that can. An inexpensive "paint respirator" and proper ventilation is mandatory.

I'm just one data point. There are other products that people have had good luck with. I particularly hate finishing and am just amazed, every time, at how easy and fast it is to achieve perfection with this stuff, so I'm excited to share about it.

OK, all set. Deft and mask, sandpaper ordered. May be a few days into my vacation (likely 1st week of April), but it'll get done. Just need to pencil it into my calendar.

DEFINITELY DO NOT USE SURGICAL MASKS!!! Sorry for the caps, but this is serious business.

I use this respirator: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Paint-Project-Respirator-Mask-6211PA1-A/100653900

You can get replacement cartridges for all kinds of stuff, even mold cleanup, and keep the mask for a long time. Note that particulates will clog the filters quickly, so don't use your paint filters for garage cleanup, for example.

Re: garlic breath - LOL! Yes, these things are amazing, they will filter out all kinds of smells.

Last edited:
DEFINITELY DO NOT USE SURGICAL MASKS!!! Sorry for the caps, but this is serious business.

I use this respirator: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Paint-Project-Respirator-Mask-6211PA1-A/100653900

You can get replacement cartridges for all kinds of stuff, even mold cleanup, and keep the mask for a long time. Note that particulates will clog the filters quickly, so don't use your paint filters for garage cleanup, for example.

Re: garlic breath - LOL! Yes, these things are amazing, they will filter out all kinds of smells.

Thx for your reply. There were several on amazon designed for spray paint and additional uses, with replaceable filters. The one I thought might be better was a dual filter on each side of the face. Adjustable headband. I'll likely wear a bandana over my hair(conjures up an interesting image) to protect that from spray as well, just like my younger days in school.

Regards garage, I don't own one (am a renter, not a homeowner). Might prove useful for mulching the garden and avoiding mold while turning soil. (Mold IMHO is only OK when its mostly round, about 4 inches wide, and grilled with cheese and condiments on a sandwich bun, thanks.)

There are smells we all appreciate and love....but evaporating paint fumes is not necessarily healthy to breathe, so remind me to not pursue these things too often.

Back