Spider Capo:- anyone tried one/ thoughts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitars' started by DarrenJ1973, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DarrenJ1973

DarrenJ1973 don't want to be a member

Exactly as the title asks, has anyone tried one, I kow Dave Weiner uses them but wanting more opinion other than because a artist uses them.

http://www.spidercapo.com/

2. Albrecht Smuten

Albrecht Smuten Nine of Hearts

This is sick! :) I didn't know this existed, so thank you! :)

3. DarrenJ1973

No probz, I think i'm going to order 1 or 2 today, the vid demos on the site are awesome, expensive though at £30 each

4. JustRob

JustRob Just a member

5. DarrenJ1973

I think the difference between the harmonic capo and the spider capo is the harmonic capo is designed to play purely natural harmonics, whereas the spider capo is a alternate tunings for individual strings, both very similar in design but totally different in function :)

I've taken the plunge and ordered 2 spider capos...

6. 38Roars

38Roars Bless the Blues

Please give us some feedback after you give them a go.....

7. Rango

Rango New Member

It's an interesting Idea...
    Sort of a capo twist on the robo tuners Gibson and Pevey have on electrics!

I'll be interested to hear your impression. I wondered how much of the sonic "magic" of an open tuning is the full lenght strings ringing to a pitch?

I just bought a Shubb Capo - it's great great in getting a capo on the guitar and not pulling it SHARP. Much better than the spring clamp type capos.

8. DarrenJ1973

I most definitely will, they will hopefully be here tomorrow (i paid next day, but then parts for my bike never turned up today as they were supposed too), so give me until the weekend to get comfortable with them.

9. DarrenJ1973

The best way would be to listen to Dave Weiners acoustic album where he uses them on his Angelus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVdFG7fmSY&list=PLCss77ezGEea2_fsDBpl46kXopBGvCq-Z

10. Chris528

Chris528 New Member

I bought one a couple years ago. Pretty cool to have, but barely ever use it.

11. DarrenJ1973

Is that cos it's not suiting your playing style or just you have no use for it etc.

12. Chris528

Chris528 New Member

Just never really messed with it much. It might actually work well with my style if I gave it a chance.

13. alantig

alantig SSBMA

I just bought one of these last week. I was interested in the harmonic capo, too, but never pulled the trigger on it.

Anyway, I've only barely noodled with the Spider, but I really like it. It doesn't really fit with my normal playing style, but it gives you cool access to faux alternate tunings. You can get some interesting voicings. I saw Dave Weiner use two on a song on the Vai tour last fall, and when I talked to him afterwards, I totally forgot to ask about them.

14. tabl10s

tabl10s New Member

I have two. It should be great in combination with the Harmonic Capo.

15. DarrenJ1973

@ Alan and tab10s,

thanks they should be here in the next few hours (tracking the parcel says they are on the delivery van). Yes, I'm a huge Dave Weiner fan and have been for a long time (since I first saw him with Steve at the Astoria and he played Party Piece, I actually consider him to be a better player than Vai and Satch but he's more down to earth and easier to talk to. When I purchased his latest album I got the instructional vids and tabs so will be using that as a initial guide to setting up and using the Capos (there's only 1 song on the entire album that is in standard tuning and only 3 that don't require a spider capo.

16. DarrenJ1973

they've arrived, inital set up is a little fiddly but not s bad so as to frustrate, i'll do a vid later, I need to go on a bike ride whilst the sun is out...

17. Joe Bandy

Joe Bandy New Member

It does everything a Harmonic Capo does. It has attachments called harmonik mutes that do the same thing as the harmonic capo-excpt because there is no strap you can put it at any natural harmonic location. There's a vid on The spidercapo forum shows a guy with it on the 19th fret getting some 3rd order harmonics. ..amazing actually

18. Joe Bandy

Joe Bandy New Member

Hi-
    I'm new on this forum but am into this capo just because it can fit your style,
    It doesn't change the guitar tuning, so you just get a different open tuning but evrything else stays the same...the guy said there are about 1,000 tunings the spidercapo can do on the neck. I use about 4, but when I look around evryones using different ones..thats interesting

19. DarrenJ1973

ok here's a very quick and amateur vid excuse my babbling and the poor playing still trying to find my way with these new tunings

you are only hearing the camera mic there's no EQ and no protools...oops did I sound like somebody else there...:D

Vid Removed

#19 DarrenJ1973, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  20. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Thanks for the info, Joe - I hadn't been to the web site in a while, so I had no idea these were available, but I will be ordering a set!