Sperzel Locking Tuners vs Schaller Locking Tuners

Billabong02

Hi everyone,

I'm about to order some locking tuners for PRS Tremonti Custom SE and I've heard that both Sperzel (E70's) and Schaller (M6's) are both pretty good choices for locking tuners.

I was just wondering whether anyone has a preference between these two and how they both compare against each other.

- Billy

On an SE, I think the way to go is actually the Grover 406. Inexpensive, easy to use, work great, fairly light, direct swap.

I have Schaller M6 lockers on a non PRS guitar and while they work great, they're very heavy. I have a set of Hipshot Grip Lock open gear tuners on the way to replace them. I can let you know how they are if you're interested. You can get them with their Universal Mounting Plate, so you don't need to drill any holes.

I haven't used any Sperzels.

On an SE, I think the way to go is actually the Grover 406. Inexpensive, easy to use, work great, fairly light, direct swap.

I have Schaller M6 lockers on a non PRS guitar and while they work great, they're very heavy. I have a set of Hipshot Grip Lock open gear tuners on the way to replace them. I can let you know how they are if you're interested. You can get them with their Universal Mounting Plate, so you don't need to drill any holes.

I haven't used any Sperzels.

Yeah Grover 406's are also pretty good from what I've heard but I don't like the way they look.

Yeah Grover 406's are also pretty good from what I've heard but I don't like the way they look.

I didn't like the little bean shaped knobs at first, but they grew on me. For one set, though, I stole the buttons off a set of Gotoh keys and they worked great. They look similar to the mini Schaller buttons.

I have Hipshots on all my SE`s. THe open back griplocks are the perfect balanced weight for the Tremonti SE. I `d suggest you retighten them after about a week, then they`ll stay put beautifully.

If you don't have to change a broken string on a dark stage, the Grovers are very nice. Had to swap them for the Schallers for this reason, but came into some vintage winged tuners and that's what is there today. Spertzel makes a very good tuner but I don't have any on my PRSi.

i went with the shallers and replaced the buttons to ebony. Got the ebony buttons from stewmac. With 3 pickups on my se sc, the weight from the shellers helped balance out the guitar. Love the end result.

I have to say the PRS locking tuners are the best.I very much prefer the top locking as PRS use.

As far as I know, there is only one model that they make that is open back and locking. There is a run of them on eBay for very good prices, with the U.M.P. Mounting kit included. The metal buttons also follow the curve on the top of the PRS head stock.

As far as I know, there is only one model that they make that is open back and locking. There is a run of them on eBay for very good prices, with the U.M.P. Mounting kit included. The metal buttons also follow the curve on the top of the PRS head stock.

Yes, you want the Griplock Open. According to Hipshot, you need the 6K3 UMP if you don't want to drill. I got my 6 inline set from Amazon for much cheaper than direct from Hipshot, but I've seen the same seller/price on eBay as well.

I installed my set on my Strat-type. Same exact functionality as the Schallers they replaced, but the guitar balances a little better with the lighter weight. I'd also swear the guitar sounds a bit more lively and snappy in comparison to before, but I could be imagining that. I think the stock buttons look awful on a Strat headstock, but they might look good on a PRS. They're a bit taller than the usual Schaller or Gotoh style buttons, so they'd probably work well, since there isn't much clearance on a PRS headstock.

I also found out that Hipshot tuner buttons will work on Grover keys, so you could also buy a set of the 406 and put the squarer style buttons on it.

Just a comment: I use Sperzel lockers on Strat type guitars-they require drilling for 1 pin. They are very reliable and were OEM with the Fender "F". I do not know which models are PRS drop-in, but for quality, they are hard to beat. It is hard to surpass the reliability of the PRS top-lockers. My first experience was on my recent S2 purchase and I found the tuners to be first class. They appear to be equal to any other sealed gear housing locker and lighter.

Back