Special 22 Semi-Hollow....experience?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by markd21, Apr 3, 2019.

1. prs19

prs19 New Member

Wow! What’s the local shop name?! :)

ElrytNamrogo likes this.
  2. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

That one is STUNNING I could not resist

ElrytNamrogo likes this.
  3. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

OP, glad you got what you were "hearing", and not "what you were looking for" - sometimes we fall for the looks/specs and forget to figure out if the tone is what we want.

markd21 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Did PRS ever make these in Fire Red Burst?

Until I saw this Emerald green version, I had only seen Blue (not sure the name but its rich not faded or whale), Amber (one of the few) and Burnt Maple/Charcoal Cherry (never know which one as they both look alike in Pics). Not liking Blue and some 'yellow/amber' colours are not my first choice - I also prefer a Cherry Sunburst to a Tobacco also means that I don't pay too much attention to the 'colour' names or too much interest in realistically buying, a Red Fire Burst could be PRS guitar number 5 or 6 - depending on whether I find a Red Fire Burst 594 Hollowbody first or not...

I do think this though a PRS Special Semi-Hollow, could offer me more based on my collection. My Hollowbody ii has 58/15 LT's so effectively offers some of what the HB594 - just not the Split Coil options. I know the scale length & neck carve are also different but I could use my HBii to do most of what I would be using a 594HB for and have a Solid Body 594. My main reason for wanting the 594HB is because I love both my HBii and 594 and marrying both together essentially to get the HB594 is just going to give an awesome and exceptionally great guitar.

This on the other hand looks to have more unique and more variation on what I already have. I would expect the 58/15 MT to have a different sound - not being Low Turn and based more off a Custom 22 with the Narrowfield rather than my 594. It looks to have the same neck profile as my HBii and more 'humbucking' focussed than 594. I would of loved both that and this to have a switch to swap between the middle on its own and the two humbuckers when in Position 3. If I had to puck 1 to have that type of switching, it would have to be the 594 as that would offer 4 more options where as this would only add 1 - just the Narrowfield in its own.

I do love the look and sounds of this - even if it is a bit 'busy' under the strings but at least the narrowfield is 'narrow' so there is more wood between than those 3 humbucker Les Paul Black Beauty. A Fire Burst Red version though - especially IF I find one in the UK before I find a Fire Red Burst 594 Hollowbody - would be incredibly difficult for me to resist buying!!

5. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

I know, right? Sad thing is, it just isn't in the cards for me right now. We have so much going on right - moving, baby #2 on the way - any new guitars are going to have to wait for a loooooong time. It's all good though, my 24/08 is equipped with the 58/15 MT's which, as you know, are killer.

I have been pondering trading my Custom 22 for it, but don't think I'll actually go that route.

It's a tiny, little shop in Lenexa, KS (a suburb of Kansas City) called Guitar Dock. Locally owned, SUPER cool people. They have a great little selection of PRS guitars and amps. It's where I picked up my HBII for a ridiculously low price through consignment.

I really like supporting them when I can.

I'd post a link to their page, but I'm not sure if that's allowed since I'm not an authorized dealer. If you're interested, you can PM me and I can give you the contact info or web address.

It's tough, that's for sure. It's really not a bad price, either. I've definitely seen them higher online, and it's a limited color.

Like I mentioned, kind of considered trading my Custom 22 in towards it, but it's just not in the cards right now.

@markd21, I'm glad you found something to fit your needs! It looks gorgeous, I've been wanting to try out one of those semi-hollow CE's....there's a lot of gorgeous ones out there, that's for sure.

Congrats on your purchase!!!

markd21 and bodia like this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Congrats on the pending addition to the family!

ElrytNamrogo and Glide-bpm like this.
  7. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

Thanks!!! We're all very excited!

I'll tell ya' what...we literally found out one week after I ordered my 24/08. Had we found out one week earlier, I wouldn't have that one either and I'd be lusting after yet another guitar. :rolleyes:

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  8. markd21

markd21 New Member

Thanks. It is VERY easy to buy a PRS based on looks and overall awesomeness. This time I HAD to be focused. There is a tone I NEED for an upcoming project, and NONE of my current 11 PRS' gets me there. I like reppin' the brand - they look killer, sound killer, play killer....

I was SOOOOOO sorely tempted to just "try and make it work", but that guitar is $5400 and the dealer wasn't gonna budge. It had to do what I NEEDED, you know? Imagine my surprise when the CE did it. I have basically ignored the new CE's because I don't like a lot of how they approached the new version vs. the originals. Also, for that $$ a bag seems a little bit of a let down. Well, it turns out I use the bags more than the cases for shows, anyway. SO that issue was resolved. The other "problems" disappeared when I heard the tone I NEEDED.

Plus I saved a couple thousand dollars, so that's always a bonus ;)

bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  9. 801PE

801PE New Member

I don't think you ever really save money on guitars, you're just a couple grand closer to the next one.

BWV548 and dogrocketp like this.
  10. prs19

prs19 New Member

Found it. Thanks!

ElrytNamrogo likes this.
  11. Dead&Co

Dead&Co New Member

There's a total of 12 sound combinations correct?

12. Mozzi

I believe so. The middle position (3) offers 4 different combinations (HH, HS, SH, SS) when using both humbuckers together and Positions 1, 2, 4 & 5 on the blade offers 2 combinations each depending on whether the Humbucker is full or split which adds up to 12 possible sounds.

#32 Mozzi, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Dead&Co likes this.
  13. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

bodia and Mozzi like this.
  14. Mozzi

15. watelessness

watelessness New Member

i really love mine \m/ \m/

bodia likes this.