Spalted Maple

Craig Scott

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if I could pick your brains with regard to colours.

Up until today I've primarily been a Tele man. I went into my local guitar shop and tried an SE Custom 24. I was very impressed with everything about it, the guitar immediately just felt right, so I'll have to get one.

I really liked the spalted maple natural finish that I was playing but since I've been looking on Google I also like the spalted maple vintage finish. Only thing is, I've not seen it in the flesh. The nearest shop with one in stock is quite a drive away.

So I was wondering what people on here who've seen/had/used both think. Is it worth me driving to find the vintage one or does it just not look as nice as the natural.

And yes, I get that colours are subjective but thought I'd maybe able to get a rough idea of this forum

Thanks in advance

Craig

They will all look different, even with the same finish, each having a unique grain pattern. I preferred the Vintage Burst myself.

46749342055_3284d982a7_o.jpg

They will all look different, even with the same finish, each having a unique grain pattern. I preferred the Vintage Burst myself.

46749342055_3284d982a7_o.jpg

Yeah it really does look nice. I think I'll have to drive to Manchester and take a look.

The guitar itself was fantastic. I tried the PRS and a Gibson LP. For me, the PRS was far better to get on with.

I ended up going for the Zebrawood SE (2018) with the vintage sunburst - personally I prefer the vintage sunburst finish over the top of the Zebrawood as it tends to even out and mellow the wood colour somewhat. I'm not a big fan of the limited edition exotic wood runs that they did in just natural Zebrawood - or other natural Zebrawood guitars I have seen.

I get the same feeling looking at the spalted maple - the sunburst finish gives a warmer look to the guitar and allows the black of the spalting to pop out a little more. I did see the vintage sunburst spalted maple in person when I picked mine up and the veneer on the headstock was gorgeous - I preferred the grain on the body of the Zebrawood more however. There does seem to be a fair bit of variation in the spalted maple (as you would expect) so if you are in a position to inspect in person, or get photos of the guitar before you buy that would be recommended. The examples above are good examples of natural spalted maple but the quality and figure seems to be much better than that found in the SE range.

By looking at the current lineup the spalted maple SE seems to have been dropped in favour of the Ziricote and Laurel Burl Veneer for the 2019 range - you may be able to bargain the price a little on the spalted maple.

I ended up going for the Zebrawood SE (2018) with the vintage sunburst - personally I prefer the vintage sunburst finish over the top of the Zebrawood as it tends to even out and mellow the wood colour somewhat. I'm not a big fan of the limited edition exotic wood runs that they did in just natural Zebrawood - or other natural Zebrawood guitars I have seen.

I get the same feeling looking at the spalted maple - the sunburst finish gives a warmer look to the guitar and allows the black of the spalting to pop out a little more. I did see the vintage sunburst spalted maple in person when I picked mine up and the veneer on the headstock was gorgeous - I preferred the grain on the body of the Zebrawood more however. There does seem to be a fair bit of variation in the spalted maple (as you would expect) so if you are in a position to inspect in person, or get photos of the guitar before you buy that would be recommended. The examples above are good examples of natural spalted maple but the quality and figure seems to be much better than that found in the SE range.

By looking at the current lineup the spalted maple SE seems to have been dropped in favour of the Ziricote and Laurel Burl Veneer for the 2019 range - you may be able to bargain the price a little on the spalted maple.

Mmm Ziricote!

Congrats on the Vintage Zebrawood

You have actually made this decision even harder now haha - I had already looked at the Zebrawood and thought it looked very nice, but now looking at the Laurel Burl I literally have no idea - far too many choices!!

I am probably way over thinking things (which is something I always do) but this guitar is going to be used for the heavier side of my musical tastes. So with that in mind, I am thinking that a darker colour would look better than the spalted maple natural finish. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but belting out Whole Lotta Rosie or Master of Puppets should be done a darker colour...shouldn't it :)

But then that is leading me into Mark Holcomb series territory. I knew this would happen!!

The good news is despite the veneer type they would all sound the same. I dabble with a little Master of Puppets on my Zebrawood but only in the comfort of my own home. I was all geared up ready to get the Whale Blue however as my other hobby is woodwork, once the Zebrawood came out in the vintage sunburst I knew she was the one :)

The good news is despite the veneer type they would all sound the same. I dabble with a little Master of Puppets on my Zebrawood but only in the comfort of my own home. I was all geared up ready to get the Whale Blue however as my other hobby is woodwork, once the Zebrawood came out in the vintage sunburst I knew she was the one :)

I've just ordered the spalted maple in vintage - job done :)

S03920.jpg

Last edited:
You have actually made this decision even harder now haha - I had already looked at the Zebrawood and thought it looked very nice, but now looking at the Laurel Burl I literally have no idea - far too many choices!!

I am probably way over thinking things (which is something I always do) but this guitar is going to be used for the heavier side of my musical tastes. So with that in mind, I am thinking that a darker colour would look better than the spalted maple natural finish. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but belting out Whole Lotta Rosie or Master of Puppets should be done a darker colour...shouldn't it :)

But then that is leading me into Mark Holcomb series territory. I knew this would happen!!
Nah, I don’t think so. Plenty of heavy music done on white guitars too, which even lighter than natural spalted maple. I like natural better myself. Vintage bursts remind me of classic or old. Nothing wrong with that, just not my taste most of the time. I think natural is kind of timeless.

Nah, I don’t think so. Plenty of heavy music done on white guitars too, which even lighter than natural spalted maple. I like natural better myself. Vintage bursts remind me of classic or old. Nothing wrong with that, just not my taste most of the time. I think natural is kind of timeless.

Yep, I agree with you. I have a Chris Schifflet Tele in white. I just don't think the maple natural suits it. Only my opinion though, colours are subjective. One mans rubbish is another mans great.
I ordered the spalted maple vintage finish in the end.

Last edited:
Back