Southern California Brush Fire

CVS

Not so new member
Not sure how well I or my neighbors will be sleeping tonight. We have a brush fire burning just on the other side of a ridge from our house in Camp Pendelton. 5 county fire trucks just went by my house. No evacuation orders yet. Helicopters and planes overhead. Have started to pack the car in the hope that if I do so, we will never have to evacuate.

I guess if you live in California, you sign up for earthquakes, brush fires, and mud slides. The good news is the the weather is as good as it gets this time of year for containing the fire - cool and damp and no wind to speak of. I took this picture from the top of the ridge. Hopefully by tomorrow AM, this will be a distant memory

IMG_0327_zps2znrxeco.jpg

If you can actually see fire in the picture, it makes it 100x scarier. Much mojo sent.

Thanks guys - Fire still burning but I think we have dodged a bullet. Have a lot of clean up to do from all the ashes that have fallen everywhere. Helicopters and planes flying overhead until about 2:00AM, then nothing, so I am hopeful & will start unpacking the cars. Will take the 15 minute walk up to the ridge (the spot in the photo) in a few hours and get a birds eye view of how close this really came to being a disaster.

Events like this make you appreciate what you have......PS - If you look through the "hole" in the middle of the smoke, you can actually see the Pacific Ocean.

To all, thanks for your concern. Fire came to within a half mile of our neighborhood, but the firefighters did a great job (I am very thankful for this) and we never even had to evacuate. The fire for the most part now is fully contained. I had cars packed and ready to go.
FYI - Had to make some decisions on what guitars to take when we thought we would have to evacuate given limited space - Decided on HB II and McCarty 594 (and to be honest an "F" guitar). No room for anything else (including amps). I hope I never face this kind of decision again.

Back