Sound issues on recording, can you help?

Cocorosa

3 PRS guitars: Silver Sky, 594 with P90’s and CU24.

Recording Silver Sky is a dream, comes in with a lovely tone. The other two, not so much. Muddy and bassy, even on clean settings.

I am plugging them into an Audient ID14 through the DI port and from there into a Mac running Logic X.

Have tried the obvious things – settings in Logic / ID14 / volume and tone pots etc but nothing erases this muddiness in the tone of the 594 and CU24..

Can anyone advise me where I am going wrong and what they have used to successfully record either of these guitars?

Thank you :)

I think those two have higher outputs, so if your interface has a level you should turn it down. I find my humbucker guitars clip unless I do.

I think those two have higher outputs, so if your interface has a level you should turn it down. I find my humbucker guitars clip unless I do.

Thank you for replying. It isn't the level or a clipping problem but a general muddiness in the overall sound. Too bassy, not enough mids or highs

Are you talking about playback or while recording or both?

Are you using the amp sims or are you talking about just the dry signal?

Is it a subjective thing, or is something really wrong?

Finally, is there a clip to share that’ll take some of the having to use my imagination out of attempting to help?

Are you talking about playback or while recording or both?

Are you using the amp sims or are you talking about just the dry signal?

Is it a subjective thing, or is something really wrong?

Finally, is there a clip to share that’ll take some of the having to use my imagination out of attempting to help?

I have used amp sims and I have DI'd in clean, without anything else in the signal path.

I don't think it is subjective. They both pale in comparison to humbuckers on an old Ibanez I have and the Silver Sky sounds gorgeous - although I am aware that is slightly misleading because of the single coils.

I will try and extract a clip tomorrow. I am still learning Logic so it might take a day or two! And that might also be the point: I am aware that I might be doing something daft.

Back