Soon to be NGD, thoughts welcome

Djames

Hey everyone,

I'll try and keep this short. So ever since I got my first core Prs, it's all I really play. I own 12 guitars which consist of higher end LTD's Ibanez's Dean etc. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather own 6 great guitars and play them all at certain times as opposed to just playing one and having the rest hang on the wall.

I've been looking at either the custom 24 or a CE model. I own a McCarty and love the thing, everything from the tone to the feel of the guitar is everything I want. I'm just wondering what some of your experiences are with the cu24 and ce models. I know the ce is cheaper but I've read that some prefer the bolt on construction. Any preference over the two? I should also state that the difference in price is not a concern to me and I play mostly blues and metal/hard rock.

Thanks.

CE models are harder to come by - they stopped production years ago, and never sold as well as the Custom models.

The CU24 is the classic PRS guitar. I can't imagine not owning a CU24 (or CU22 if you prefer 22 frets).

The CE24 (or CE22) will get you a bit more towards a Strat-like sound, in theory, because of the bolt-on maple necks. However, it will still sound mostly like a PRS, due to the humbuckers and hog/maple body - unless you get one of the early alder body versions.

I would say go for a CU24, unless you come across a CE24 that really sings to you.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Here is the best advise you will ever get. Buy a CE with dragon 1s, 22 or 24, doesn't matter. The CEs generally sell cheaper but they are very fine guitars. I do own a custom 24 with 5909s and I love the thing but both my CEs get played the most. I like the feel of the maple neck a little better. Dragon 1 pickups are wonderful and I will never understand why PRS doesn't make them anymore. Good luck.

Find one(of either) that speaks to you. Whether it's visually or sonically - really depends on if you can try it or if it's online somewhere. The custom 24 is obviously THE iconic PRS, but you wanna get whatever you think you're gonna wanna play most.

Choose what floats your boat. My advice would be to be open to other models as well. I'm the atypical PRS owner: I've never owned or even bonded with a CU. I did love my CE. The hollowbodies are or of this world. The 513 is the most underrated, flexible guitar PRS makes (excluding the piezo guitars).

Thanks for all the replies. the cu24 has always been on my list but I see ce's come up often and some of the tops are quite nice. Here in Canada the ce's go for around $11/1200 where the cu24's are around $1700 and up. I think I'll be going the cu24 route if anything catches my eye.

Well, if price is not a concern (when is it ever not? :flute:), then maybe a 30th Anniversary CU 24? It gets the 85/15 pickups, heh, heh. I'm not helping, am I?

Well, if price is not a concern (when is it ever not? :flute:), then maybe a 30th Anniversary CU 24? It gets the 85/15 pickups, heh, heh. I'm not helping, am I?

No, you are not!! I actually never considered that but in all honesty, I'm now thinking of going that route. I think I can thank you..............? I'm sure I will in the end

No, you are not!! I actually never considered that but in all honesty, I'm now thinking of going that route. I think I can thank you..............? I'm sure I will in the end

Well, if you do... I'll gladly take the credit. But seriously, if I could get my hands on those pickups, they would SO be in my SE.

Nah, the best advice you will ever get is, "Don't give crazy a baby."
As usual, Les gets down to the nitty-gritty,:spitcoffee:

Last edited:

The CU24 30th Anniversary model has the 85/15 pickups. I've been a PRS nut ever since 1991, and I am convinced that these are the most wonderful sounding pickups ever for a CU24.

I think I've had most of the PRS pickups over the years. For this model, these are my absolute favorites walking away.

Back