Sonzera V1 -> V4 tube ID?

Looks legit to me.... I found this quote from Doug while researching the Sonzera over at TheGearPage

"Doug Sewell here, just wanted to reach out about the gain tube on the Sonzeras. V2 is the dedicated gain tube-- both sides of it. So, different gain tubes really have an affect. My favorite substitutes are the Sovtek 5751 and the New Sensor 12AY7 in this spot. The JJs 12AY7 has a bit more midrange than the New Sensor. The 5751 (gain of 80) seems to "focus" and tighten the overdrive, and sounds a bit more open but retains the ability to keep the pinch harmonics and higher-gain characteristics nicely. The 12AY7s (gain of 40) do the same, but takes it to AC/DC types of distortion.

So, V2 is the one (V1 is closest to the input jack, V2 next to it) to experiment with. Hope this helps with finding all the tones possible..."

--Doug
"

Looks legit to me.... I found this quote from Doug while researching the Sonzera over at TheGearPage

"Doug Sewell here, just wanted to reach out about the gain tube on the Sonzeras. V2 is the dedicated gain tube-- both sides of it. So, different gain tubes really have an affect. My favorite substitutes are the Sovtek 5751 and the New Sensor 12AY7 in this spot. The JJs 12AY7 has a bit more midrange than the New Sensor. The 5751 (gain of 80) seems to "focus" and tighten the overdrive, and sounds a bit more open but retains the ability to keep the pinch harmonics and higher-gain characteristics nicely. The 12AY7s (gain of 40) do the same, but takes it to AC/DC types of distortion.

So, V2 is the one (V1 is closest to the input jack, V2 next to it) to experiment with. Hope this helps with finding all the tones possible..."

--Doug
"

Thank you Henry. I'm going to do a gain stage 'low noise' (hiss) shoot out in V2 using new -

Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+
Telefunken ECC83-TK (most expensive)
Tung-sol 12AX7 ECC803S
Mesa SPAX7
TAD 7025 S 'Premium Selected'
Groove Tubes 12AY7 'select' (less gain, but I want to see how that affects hiss)

Thank you Henry. I'm going to do a gain stage 'low noise' (hiss) shoot out in V2 using new -

Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+
Telefunken ECC83-TK (most expensive)
Tung-sol 12AX7 ECC803S
Mesa SPAX7
TAD 7025 S 'Premium Selected'
Groove Tubes 12AY7 'select' (less gain, but I want to see how that affects hiss)
Any updates yet?

I've been clearing the bench this week and have collected a few more new tubes for the test. I need to measure the noise level of each tube rather than just use my ears unless the difference is dramatic. I'm going to use Audacity to record levels and waveform using a AKG P220 or Sennheiser e 906 depending which one picks up the noise better. I hope to start in the next 3 to 4 days. Any input/suggestions are welcome.

I've been clearing the bench this week and have collected a few more new tubes for the test. I need to measure the noise level of each tube rather than just use my ears unless the difference is dramatic. I'm going to use Audacity to record levels and waveform using a AKG P220 or Sennheiser e 906 depending which one picks up the noise better. I hope to start in the next 3 to 4 days. Any input/suggestions are welcome.

OK, 1st with stock tubes. Note - this amp was almost dead quiet when it arrived. The amp only started to hiss after a few hours using it.

Audacity - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k19hfqbmaqai88/PRS Stock Tubes.png?dl=0

Recording - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpg508r5ctqithi/PRS Sonzera - Stock tubes.wav?dl=0

Listen to the recording while looking at the audacity pic. You can see (and hear) the switch when the amp was turned on and then off.

* let me know if these links do not work please *

* Both mics were used to record L + R *

* Interesting difference between what both mikes heard looking at the Audacity pic *

* Recording was made using Tascam DA-3000, playback on PC via Audicity *

* Playback needs 0 db - DON'T FORGET TO TURN DOWN YOUR AMP WHEN FINISHED *

* Feedback welcome *

OK, 2nd test using a new Telefunken ECC83-TK gold pin. Tube is in the V2 position Box says -Gain A 104.0 Gain B 105.7

I'm only including the audio files from here on as the pic does not tell us much at all.

1st thing is you can hear the higher gain of the Telefunken in the guitar chord. Unfortunately the noise is also increased with the gain increase. This pretty much says V2 is not causing the hiss/noise, but I'll continue with a couple more to be sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvvciyzhnl98d7w/PRS Sonzera - Telefunken ECC83 - TK gold pin.wav?dl=0

Today I tested a new Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ (same as stock tube) in position V1 - No change in hiss level

Next I tried a Gold Lion gold pin ECC83 in position V1 - no change in hiss lever and it did not sound good. It sounded edgy and harsh.

The new Ruby stays in V2 and the Telefunkin ECC83-TK stays in V1 because it sounds great - balanced, clean and very smooth.

Next I built a 6.8K input jack plug and tested in with no change in hiss level'

I'm going to work my way through all the tubes and then move to the oscilloscope.

p.jpeg

OK, last post on this iteration. I'll post a new thread when I have time and go inside the amp with a oscilloscope chasing the hiss. I did learn some things.

The preamp tubes from the factory work very well as is. Nothing I tried in any of the four 12ax7 positions reduced hiss. With the stock Ruby's 12AX7 AC5-HG's in v1 - v4 the clean channel is creamy smooth and the dirty channel is to die for and why I bought this amp. Not just my opinion others agree who have played with my amp.

I ended up with these and and am going to listen to them for a couple of weeks and then switch back to stock for comparison. It sounds very good to my ears.

V1 Mesa SPAX7
V2 Telefunkin ECC83-TK 'Black Diamond' gold pins
V3 Ruby 12AX7-AC5 (same as stock)
V4 Tung-Sol ECC803 S gold pin

The hiss - I did not have hiss until using the amp a few hours when new. I can only think something changed. After rolling tubes with no help reducing hiss, this leads me to looking for a semi cooked resistor inside next.

Power Amp - I did swap in a pair of Mullard EL34's and it made a difference I personally like. Clearer and more open sound without screwing up the dirty channel much. I'm not sure it's as controllable as with the stock Ruby EL34BHT's as in being able to set the Drive/Level right at the edge of grit and then using the volume control on the guitar and string attack to control it.

Cheers.

I’ve been watching, but since I don’t have one, not posting. I’m “following with interest.” Especially after you say how good the OD channel is. I know a some people don’t love the OD channel. You may have seen me mention that I know a few people that have them. Most of them use the clean channel with pedals, but one uses the OD channel with the gain WAY down, and still uses pedals for gain.

So I’m really interested to hear why you love the OD channel. How are you setting your EQs? What would you compare the tones from your OD channel too? See, I think PRS doesn’t make bad sounding amps. I wanted to like these. I thought the 20 watt version may be the small combo I was looking for, but negative comments about the OD channel turned me off, and I haven’t been able to try one for myself.

So don’t stop posting about your amp. Post more. Tell us more. And if you can, even phone clips would be nice!

Where is your gain set on the dirty clip?

I just spin the dials till it sounds good to me one knob at a time. Your pickups and speaker(s) are going to make a big difference, so settings on my end don't translate to your settings. IMO of course.

New favorite in V1

Was - Mesa SPAX7-A

Now - Northern Electric Canada 12AX7

Clean - https://www.dropbox.com/s/z610hhrl5gxc5nk/Nothern Electric Clean.wav?dl=0

Dirty - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap0zxz474y3vtrd/Nothern Electric Dirty.wav?dl=0

Clean - Treble/Mid/Bass all straight up

Dirty - Treble 2 o'clock, mid/bass straight up

UPDATE - here's a better dirty file with a bit more drive and level -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/crkacxwmt180hs5/Nothern Electric Dirty2.wav?dl=0

I just spin the dials till it sounds good to me one knob at a time. Your pickups and speaker(s) are going to make a big difference, so settings on my end don't translate to your settings. IMO of course.

I have everything from vintage wind single coils to super hot humbuckers so I get that. I was asking because I thought your “dirty” tone didn’t have much gain, so I wondered how low you had the gain knob. I was just trying to get a read on how you got that tone.

I have everything from vintage wind single coils to super hot humbuckers so I get that. I was asking because I thought your “dirty” tone didn’t have much gain, so I wondered how low you had the gain knob. I was just trying to get a read on how you got that tone.

Yeah, I understand. I like it when it gets a little crunchy and blooms. I'll move the dials to full crunch and post pics of the controls. Cheers.

Back