Sonzera 20 Noise-Hiss?

Rob C

I've just purchased a Sonzera 20 and love the tones but the noise it makes when I'm not playing bothers me, especially with the clean channel. It's a pronounced hiss and has nothing to do with the volume.

Is this typical for the amp or is mine problematic?

Rob C

Hmm, you might want to ask this in the Amps sub-forum, or even in the PTC sub-forum. But I will say this is the first I have ever heard anyone complain about hiss, and being in the clean channel that sounds really odd.

I'm going where Dave is going. The effects loop can sometimes cause trouble with most amps. See if the volume is all the way up or some such thing.

Problem aside, where were you able to get one? Availability keeps getting pushed back everywhere I look.

They have Sonzeras on Zzounds right now. You can even do interest free payment plans. Ive had good experiences with Zzounds too.

Thanks for the info all. There's no volume controls for the effects loop and nothing plugged into it. The amp makes noise with nothing plugged into it and I read a similar complaint several weeks ago which I can't find now.

I got it from Zzounds last Friday after the amp magically appeared online a couple weeks before the were supposed to.

It's a bummer about the noise but I have a line on a comparably priced PRS Dual Channel C combo so I'm sending it back.

Thanks for the info all. There's no volume controls for the effects loop and nothing plugged into it. The amp makes noise with nothing plugged into it and I read a similar complaint several weeks ago which I can't find now.

I got it from Zzounds last Friday after the amp magically appeared online a couple weeks before the were supposed to.

It's a bummer about the noise but I have a line on a comparably priced PRS Dual Channel C combo so I'm sending it back.
Before you pack it up, I wonder what would happen if you took your shortest instrument cable and stuck it in the loop by itself?

Well Finally got mine 2 days ago.( was beginning to think they were a myth this side of the pond).
Clean channel is fine ( No Hiss. Gain Channel slight hum but that's to be expected with a Tube.
I only use good quality cables and all seems fine. effects loop works a treat.
Sod it I ain't going to work today!!! I know what I'll be doing.!!!

I've had it standby for a while and just checked it. There's a minimal difference when you plug a cable into the loop but not enough to make a difference.

And again, the noise is the amp with nothing plugged into it. No cables, no guitar, etc. Just the hiss and maybe an occasional soft pop. I have a Tweaker 15 head that is dead silent, so my expectations aren't unrealistic.

Well Finally got mine 2 days ago.( was beginning to think they were a myth this side of the pond).
Clean channel is fine ( No Hiss. Gain Channel slight hum but that's to be expected with a Tube.
I only use good quality cables and all seems fine. effects loop works a treat.
Sod it I ain't going to work today!!! I know what I'll be doing.!!!

Atta boy! Got,your priorities straight!

And again, the noise is the amp with nothing plugged into it. No cables, no guitar, etc. Just the hiss and maybe an occasional soft pop. I have a Tweaker 15 head that is dead silent, so my expectations aren't unrealistic.
That Deffo don't sound right Mate. I see where your coming from. Good Luck.!!!

Bloody right Jim.
Its10 to 6 in the morning a beautiful day plus it's Friday.
I'm Itchin to wake up the neighbourhood.!!!

Nice! It's almost midnight in Chicago. Just got home from the Iron Maiden/Ghost concert. Enjoying a dram of scotch before I try to fall asleep.

Nice! It's almost midnight in Chicago. Just got home from the Iron Maiden/Ghost concert. Enjoying a dram of scotch before I try to fall asleep.
Magic I tried over here a few wks ago at the O2 but no luck unfortunately but I did wangle a tkt for J/M.

Magic I tried over here a few wks ago at the O2 but no luck unfortunately but I did wangle a tkt for J/M.

That's cool! I saw him at one of Clapton's Crossroads events about 10 years ago. Need to see him on his own, or with Dead and Co.

That's cool! I saw him at one of Clapton's Crossroads events about 10 years ago. Need to see him on his own, or with Dead and Co.
Dead & Co would be Rad!!! And by the way I had a15 min One to One with Bernie Marsden who was also at the show.
You couldn't make it up mate. A lovely man.!!!

Back