Sonzera 20 Combo Clean Volume Question/Issue?

JeffreeMcD

I just received my Sonzera 20, and generally I'm pleased, but something seems not right.
With the amp on and guitar plugged in, and volume on the Clean channel at ZERO, it still has some volume. It's kind of a ever so slightly dirty sound too. Also, at certain settings, switching from the Clean to Lead channels makes a popping sound...but not while switching the other way.
Anyone else experience this, or know anything about it?
Thanks,
Jeff

I’ve noticed, especially on some channel switching amps, for there to be just a tiny amount of “bleed” from the gain channel even when the volume is all the way down. Usually it’s volume independent, so it doesn’t get any louder as you turn the master up, so it effectively gets covered by the much louder signal from the clean channel. In practical use it’s not affecting the tone at all. So, if that’s the case with your Sonzera, I wouldn’t be concerned. Only if it’s something you can hear in the clean channel at normal playing volumes.

Regarding the pop, ideally it shouldn’t do that, just depends on how loud it is and if it will affect your use of the amp. Again, if it’s minor, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Back in the day I had a Fender Blackface Bassman that when you turned it down all the way, there was this little distorted sound that was almost imperceptible. It was a single channel amp.

I think it’s just that some pots don’t close down all the way, pretty much on a random basis.

Well, I've experience dirty or aging pots that behave that way, but new pots on a new amp shouldn't. Also, it's well about what you describe as "almost imperceptible", as it has substantial volume. For instance, if you had this amp turned to zero as I described, in a bedroom next to another bedroom where someone was trying to sleep, they would likely be able to at least hear it, though they could sleep through it if they wanted.

Well, I've experience dirty or aging pots that behave that way, but new pots on a new amp shouldn't. Also, it's well about what you describe as "almost imperceptible", as it has substantial volume. For instance, if you had this amp turned to zero as I described, in a bedroom next to another bedroom where someone was trying to sleep, they would likely be able to at least hear it, though they could sleep through it if they wanted.

Just trying to help by relaying my only experience with the phenomenon, not suggesting you live with it.

I’d certainly have PRS address it under warranty if it was my amp. They’re great about stuff like that.

Just trying to help by relaying my only experience with the phenomenon, not suggesting you live with it.

I’d certainly have PRS address it under warranty if it was my amp. They’re great about stuff like that.

Thanks,
I have sent PRS an Email, but received no reply as of yet. Prolly Holiday related.
I'll return it if I have too. But thanks for your input.

Thanks,
I have sent PRS an Email, but received no reply as of yet. Prolly Holiday related.
I'll return it if I have too. But thanks for your input.

I think they’re closed from Xmas-New Years. I should mention that the Blackface Bassman I mentioned I had a similar issue with 50 years ago was a new amp.

“50 years ago? Geez, how old are you, man?”

“I’m not old, I’m immortal.”

“Les, you’re not immortal.”

“I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions; I’ve been saying I’m immortal since I was a kid, and check me out, I’m still around.”

“Lots of people your age are still around.”

“Yes, but in their cases, poor bastids, not for long...” :p

I’ve noticed, especially on some channel switching amps, for there to be just a tiny amount of “bleed” from the gain channel even when the volume is all the way down. Usually it’s volume independent, so it doesn’t get any louder as you turn the master up, so it effectively gets covered by the much louder signal from the clean channel. In practical use it’s not affecting the tone at all. So, if that’s the case with your Sonzera, I wouldn’t be concerned. Only if it’s something you can hear in the clean channel at normal playing volumes.

Regarding the pop, ideally it shouldn’t do that, just depends on how loud it is and if it will affect your use of the amp. Again, if it’s minor, I wouldn’t sweat it.

But if it were bleed over from the Lead/dirty side, then wouln't it go away when I turn the "Drive" and "Level" controls to zero? The "20" has just a single "Volume" control, while having completely separate "Level" and "Drive" controls on the "Lead" channel.

Channel switching pop is very common in MANY amp designs...grounding design issue. Not a problem, just a peculiarity of the amp design that you either embrace or decide to move on. Had it on Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa, Egnator and probably a few others.

Personally, since I don’t use any of my amps with a volume control on minimum/zero (QUITE the opposite, actually), if the OP’s reported issue was all that was wrong with an otherwise great sounding amp, I wouldn’t have given it a second of thought. Tube amps are far from perfect devices and I’ve lived with much worse conditions on good amps. Just saying, it seems awfully picky.

If it bothers you, take it back.

Back