Songs that get ya - right - there...

My younger daughter chose this one for her "father-daughter" dance at her wedding. I cried all through it (Man, I'm a softie):

Ain't music just grand!!! Thanks for the great thread rugerpc. I've had some great memories stirred-up just posting these.

That's a great song! I think she was setting you up.

Not to bore the non-breeders on the forum but.. We had this vibrating chair for little man that had the motor crap out. So in order to soothe him I would wedge this bluetooth speaker between the seat and frame and play music. One day I hit the Sade playlist and this song that I never bonded with came on and I just sat there crying for 20 minutes looking at him and replaying it.

I can't even listen to this song without a tissue anymore.

Fahk! I gotta turn it off now!

This song gives me chills every time I hear it. It's based on a true story from Bosnia - Vrbana Bridge was the way out of Sarajevo during the Bosnian war. The two were lovers, but he was Serb and she was Muslim. As they cross Vrbana Bridge, a sniper shot and killed him, then shot and mortally wounded her. She crawled to his body, where she died, and their bodies were left there for days. There were a couple famous pictures of them, and they became one of the symbols of the war.

rom&jul.jpg

This song gives me chills every time I hear it. It's based on a true story from Bosnia - Vrbana Bridge was the way out of Sarajevo during the Bosnian war. The two were lovers, but he was Serb and she was Muslim. As they cross Vrbana Bridge, a sniper shot and killed him, then shot and mortally wounded her. She crawled to his body, where she died, and their bodies were left there for days. There were a couple famous pictures of them, and they became one of the symbols of the war.

rom&jul.jpg

This gettin' heavy. I need to go listen to Salt-N-Pepa now.

Tim Minchin is a comedian and an incredible musician. He's one of my favorites, and I can't remember how I found out about him except it was totally by accident. How he plays what he plays while he sings what he sings I can't understand. He has several things that I just adore but really can't post here (but you can look up "Prejudice", "Confessions", "The Good Book" - and welcome to the rabbit hole). He has a song called "Canvas Bags" that my wife and I quote when we go to the grocery store - and that runs on a loop in my head if I forget said bags. And a great statistical love song called "If I Didn't Have You".

But this one - damn. I have to be careful where and when I listen to it because I get tend to get lost in the song, and if that happens, I get choked up and lose the ability to speak. Makes me think of my kids every single time. Best of all, it's not even a sad song, but it rips my heart out my throat anyway.

Tim Minchin is the best. And agreed: how on earth does he sing what he sings? I would totally...just...not even...

Since we seemed to be focusing on family... My first wife could not have children. For 23 years I went through life loving children but knowing that I would never have them. We did adopt a special needs son and I do love him as my own. Still I found fulfillment of this song when I married again and she came with three daughters (and two more sons).

Warren Zevon's "Keep Me In Your Heart"...

Makes me face my own mortality...

That whole album is a heartstrings tugger. "Please Stay" is another one. And I know we don't really need another version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", but man, when he sings "Open up, open up, open up for me..."

Tedeschi Trucks with Warren Haynes covering "I'd Rather Go Blind" at the Kennedy Center Honors a few years back. Susan and Warren are amazing on vocals, and then that note at the zenith of Derek's slide solo... just wow. One of the most impressive notes I've ever heard come out of a guitar.

So many songs do this for me but since I was a kid the Carpenters Goodbye To Love has always been a puller.
Karen had such a lovely voice and when the fuzz solo kicks in it gets me every time.!!!

So Many, Especially From This Band, But This One Is My Kryptonite...
Sorry For Your Loss Mike...

Back