Son Of Son of Archon

13bats

Hey All,

I am new to the board currently looking at the Archon line of amps and just stumbled across this new
25 watt combo vid does not give details on power tubes or anything but I saw some posts about people wanting lower power
Wonder if the 25 will be release in a mini head too could be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this specific amp/combo ist not yet listed on the PRS page. So maybe there is a chance they surprise us with an all new 25 watt head/combo line. That would be freakin awesome...If the 25w head would come in a smaller casing like the Mini Rectifier, this would be a no-brainer for me...

Hey All,

I am new to the board currently looking at the Archon line of amps and just stumbled across this new
25 watt combo vid does not give details on power tubes or anything but I saw some posts about people wanting lower power
Wonder if the 25 will be release in a mini head too could be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just when I am getting ready to maybe take the plunge for the Archon 50 watt head with 6L6s this comes along :D
I am going to have to hold out now, and hope that they come out with a head version.

Must know pricepoint!

I'd like two and use them together.... oh wait.. nevermind. :iamconfused:

Its good that PRS is finally getting aboard the small wattage amp train. My feeling is they are going after the Mark V 25 market with this and one upping it with a combo version. I was actually thinking about getting the V 25 but would strongly consider this instead....strongly.

Been watching a lotta Mark V 25 vids, but have also conversed via PM here with a very knowledgeable member who knows Mesa very well, and said the PRS 50/25 is built better.
But since this one just popped up on the radar, I am hoping for the head version before Christmas.
I take it this would drive an Avatar cab good loaded with 2x12 Celestion Vintages 30s?

A 25/13W Archon would pique my interests. Hopefully announced before end of year!

I played this amp at the show. I loved it! I want an Archon now!

Also, Emil is such a cool dude. It was nice meeting/jamming with him...

I played this amp at the show. I loved it! I want an Archon now!

Also, Emil is such a cool dude. It was nice meeting/jamming with him...

Very cool someone who went to the show .curious were you able to see what was powering it .was it 2Xel84 or 6v6

was speaker same t75 from the 50 combo or a V30 in this one

Any mention of a head in this wattage

did you get a chance to try the other amps as well the 50 head and 100..

Thanks

Its good that PRS is finally getting aboard the small wattage amp train. My feeling is they are going after the Mark V 25 market with this and one upping it with a combo version. I was actually thinking about getting the V 25 but would strongly consider this instead....strongly.

I am not sure what price point gotta figure still has to have the speaker and bigger footprint 50 combo is $1749 maybe $1499 on this
Mesa although maybe not quite as well built are IMO really ruling the lunchbox head market right now with Rectoverb and Markv when you figure dual verbs ,foot switchable eq ,cab clone at $1299 they are a tough competitor

I certainly have no problems with mesa build quality...far from it.
I'm still much more serious about the mark five 25 at this point due to the versatility.

The few demos I've seen of the archon so far look like it does clean, scream, but no in between..??

**wanted to clarify- that's meant to be a question. I'd like to learn more about these amps, especially the 25w version. Look forward to test driving one someday.
Also the comparison of this vs the Mark 5/25 is not really fair, as it seems to me the Archon is much more akin to the dual rectifier...

This is a cute combo though...

Last edited:
I certainly have no problems with mesa build quality...far from it.
I'm still much more serious about the mark five 25 at this point due to the versatility.
The few demos I've seen of the archon so far look like it does clean, scream, but no in between..??
This is a cute combo though...

Just one man's opinion....but with the gain on the lead side dialed back a bit, the Archon (100W head in my case) does way more than scream. It really is a great versatile amp. No problem at all getting classic tones on the lead side. If folks are looking for a 4 channel amp, able to go from Twin to metal with gradations in between, it may not be the right amp, but with pedals on the clean side, you really can get anything you want...from Surf to doom....

I have a MarkV head, a Roadster head and a Lonestar. I'd pick the Archon over all of them. I still love Mesa's (Roadster is my favorite) but the Archon is special.

Regarding a low watt version, I'm not sure I see the point. Having the 100W head, for my tastes at least, there is low-end stooch when it's set to 100 (versus 50) that makes it better at any master volume setting, so I can't see that having a low watt version would be an advantage......

Just one man's opinion....but with the gain on the lead side dialed back a bit, the Archon (100W head in my case) does way more than scream. It really is a great versatile amp. No problem at all getting classic tones on the lead side. If folks are looking for a 4 channel amp, able to go from Twin to metal with gradations in between, it may not be the right amp, but with pedals on the clean side, you really can get anything you want...from Surf to doom....

I have a MarkV head, a Roadster head and a Lonestar. I'd pick the Archon over all of them. I still love Mesa's (Roadster is my favorite) but the Archon is special.

Regarding a low watt version, I'm not sure I see the point. Having the 100W head, for my tastes at least, there is low-end stooch when it's set to 100 (versus 50) that makes it better at any master volume setting, so I can't see that having a low watt version would be an advantage......
I feel much the same. The master is so good, I can play it at any volume. I roll back my guitar volume for lower gain a lot but pedals also work great. 5909 neck pickup rolled back to about 4, gain at noon is awesome. But I see why PRS is jumping in the lower watt market- the buyers want it, so it's a good move on their part.

Def interested in trying this out also. From the vid it sounds VERY similar to the Rivera amps I have been playing for the last 13-14 years on the dirty channel but has something else going on with the clean, which is what I am looking for.

Did I miss it, is this a 6V6 powered amp?

Back