Son Of Son of Archon

PS. I am not familiar with 5881 power tubes.
I was hoping for 6L6 tubes.
Not sure if a head is coming out, but it will power a 2x12 and 4x12 cab.

PS. I am not familiar with 5881 power tubes.
I was hoping for 6L6 tubes.
Not sure if a head is coming out, but it will power a 2x12 and 4x12 cab.

You can't use 6L6s in this low a power configuration. 5881s have very similar characteristics

You can't use 6L6s in this low a power configuration. 5881s have very similar characteristics
Thanks Drew.
I was reading up more on the tube choice on the PRS site.
I am hoping for a head version, as this will be competing directly with the new Mesa Mark V 25/10 head.
I have it narrowed down to these two amps.

Don't know if its reading between the lines or want to get anyone excited but

if you look under the Archon 100 specs there is no combo listed
Look under the 50 watt and it gives the head/combo dimensions

here is the 25 ..could be just a copy paste that was not edited OR possibly a head
Watts25W/13W (Half Power Switch)
ChannelsLead/Clean
Power Tubes5881
Preamp Tubes(6) JJ12AX7
Output Jack Configuration4/8/16 Ohm Selectable w/2 Output Jacks
Fixed/Adjustable or Cathode BiasFixed Bias (Adjustable)
Head Dimensions21.5”L x 10.5”W x 17” D (nominal)
Head Weight33.5 lbs (nominal)
Combo Dimensions21.5”L x 10.5”W x 17.75” D (nominal)
Combo Weight34 lbs (nominal)

I saw a head listing too for the 25, but it is the same dimms as the combo, so it does look like copy/paste.
My dealer has an email into PRS to find out of there will be a head version or not, and I dropped Matt at customer service and email also to see if there will be one.

Corey dealer on another forum confirmed plans for head
Same dimensions as 50 but
Smaller transformer and 2 5881

Thanks!
I wonder how long though until the head comes out.

My dealer is swaying me towards the new Mesa Mark V 25, he has five on order, and a few show up next week.
He is aware of the problems the Archons have been having, as they had the 50 watt combo in a short time back to demo.

Thanks!

My dealer is swaying me towards the new Mesa Mark V 25, he has five on order, and a few show up next week.
He is aware of the problems the Archons have been having, as they had the 50 watt combo in a short time back to demo.

Mentioned 4to 6 weeks on head release

I've had my interest peaked by the Mesa Mark V 25. Might also be interested in the Archon 25 - but I've never heard of 5881 tubes...

oops - thanks for the info above, comparing the 5881's to 6L6's...

Head version in 4-6 weeks? Somewhere I read on the web, maybe PRS page, that the 25 was combo only.

I hope to test drive one of these (eventually...)
But based on the videos so far, this does little to challenge the mini rec, imho.... still need to hear one in person.
But then again I'm not all that into metal, and there's always the possible desire for a different voicing.

If anything this would be competing with the Mark V 25.
I would listen to their vids, they have around seven now including the fifteen minute first video they put up.

If anything this would be competing with the Mark V 25.
I would listen to their vids, they have around seven now including the fifteen minute first video they put up.

Where? I only see the two on the Mesa site? You can PM me if that's appropriate, since this is not PRS related...

The Mark Five 25 is a completely different animal from the archon...
Have you played the Archon? I don't think hardly anyone has played the 25. Their old brothers at least, the Archon is tight and immediate like the Mark series Mesa, but has gain more similar to the Recto(which has a looser, spongier feel to it). There's other differences, but I'm trying to pull similarites from both amps. The Archon has qualities that are similar and different to both those Mesa amps.

Thanks!

PRS Customer Service got back to me, no current plans in the works for a head version for the Archon 25.

I think you will see one
We will have to see if thread I read was correct
But this guy knew more about the 25 before it was released
Like it was 5881 tubes same speakers
I think his info is solid
And I think prs is being truthful
There is no heads being built right now
At the moment

Back