Something I've Been Wondering About

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
Last year I bought a core Custom 24 that came with a quilt 10 top finished in a custom color, swamp ash back and satin flame maple neck with a rosewood fretboard.

As I read more about PRS in general I've noticed comments that they don't put quilt tops on core models anymore and I haven't noticed other core models with optional wood combinations.

So my question that I haven't found an answer to yet is, is it possible my guitar was a wood library that got downgraded to a core? Or does PRS sometimes do these different wood combinations on core guitars and they just aren't commonly seen?

Sounds like a Wood Library build to me....

You could contact PRS customer service with the serial number - they are very helpful.

I believe they built some one off's from time to time to test wood combos, new finishes etc so some unique guitars pop up for sale at normal prices.

Check the Modcat. If it's a WL it will have something that doesn't look like the traditional Modcat. They don't use the Modcat system on WL or AP.

Check the Modcat. If it's a WL it will have something that doesn't look like the traditional Modcat. They don't use the Modcat system on WL or AP.
My 2013 AP has a modcat?
T4m2faffba2_of_h8-87 if you're bored.

I'll need to get myself a wood library guitar to confirm or deny if WL runs have a modcat or not :)

Here's a picture of the modcat in the neck pickup cavity. It doesn't seem to follow the normal modcat formula so maybe it is some sort of special order?

WBC4UG3.jpg

My 2013 AP has a modcat?
T4m2faffba2_of_h8-87 if you're bored.

I'll need to get myself a wood library guitar to confirm or deny if WL runs have a modcat or not :)

Model: SC245
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Figured Maple
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Orange Fade
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 57/08 Uncovered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 57/08 Uncovered
Electronics: Singlecut

Model: SC245
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Figured Maple
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Orange Fade
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 57/08 Uncovered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 57/08 Uncovered
Electronics: Singlecut
Yep that's the one. What a guitar it is!
I'm not sure if the neck finish though, it's matte - not shiney at all. Not sure if that's what satin feels like or if it's just unfinished. Not like any of my other PRS (or fender's or Gibson's)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up reaching out to PRS as suggested and it looks like I was on the right path. Their response,

"This appears to be a 2017 Custom 24 that was originally part of a wood library run but for whatever reason (typically color) it was not incorporated with that run and sold as a separate item. I hope you find this information helpful."

So it looks like I have a rogue wood library on my hands after all!

Back